Current Fernando Alonso

Suprised there's no thread (although I had one for his blogs), so i'll start off:

A double world championship vs Raikkonen and then Schumacher in 2005 and 2006 respectively elevated Alonso's status but, apparently, no one told his rookie teammate at his brand new team of a theoretical 'pecking order' the following season ... and the Spaniard was 'seen off' by the young Englishman, Hamilton, into two years of Wilderness while both Hamilton and an even younger Vettel began to make their mark through '08 and '09.

Arguably, Alonso was in the Top 3 of all the Formula One 'Aces' in the 2000s following Hakkinen's retirement - up there with either Schumacher/Raikkonen and, then, Raikkonen/Hamilton - and remains so in the early 2010s along with Hamilton/Vettel...with only Kubica knocking on the door until the Pole's horrible Rallying accident.

A question mark initially over 2004 during which Trulli lead him in the standing until the Italian fell out with ex-manager and team boss Flavio Briatore (Alonso's then business manager) under dubious circumstances after the French Grand Prix.

Another question mark is...Who has progressed more since the end of 2007: Hamilton or Alonso?

A fan. Then came the unfortunate blackmail allegations against McLaren boss Ron Dennis on the morning of the 2007 Hungarian GP which came to light at the highly costly FIA 'Spy-Gate' hearings before Spa...followed by the odour of the deliberate crashing of the Number 2 Renault car at Singapore in 2008 which lead to Alonso finishing 1st in the event and ended in the banning of Briatore and Pat Symmonds a year later.

2009 was a poor year with 'Nando's' mind likely on the prospect of Santander paving the way to better prospects at Maranello one year earlier.

2010 was a fresh start at Ferrari (who no longer had Schumacher walking through the premises regularly) but first half season mistakes ultimately cost him a title inspite of being infamously aided by a Team Orders switch w Massa at Hockenheim (which lead to more world-wide criticism).

Relatively fast, relatively consistent but prone to mistakes and a possible insecurity complex (*) based on wanting sole focus from a team and being only happy with a Number 2 in the other car running behind him. Anything else and it seemingly rattles him.

(*) This is my own personal opinion.

..and so to 2011...

He's underperformed only at Malaysia (hit Hamilton) and China (invisible while Massa challenged McLarens and Red Bulls) and, arguably, Canada...but has maximized his chances in the other 6 races culminating in the British GP win.

He said in his post-Monaco blog that 'Silverstone would be the WDC cut-off'...and so, after some major upgrades, the Ferrari looks a winner again. It might be too late for 2011 given Vettel's finishing rate...but the 2012 regs means they should keep the hammer down at Maranello.

He's signed on through to 2016...So hopes are high of a WDC at some juncture...but not yet.

The more disappointing part of that statement is that Toyota will continue in LMP1. Unless another hybrid team comes along they will continue to run away with every race.

Thought I'd just leave this here...

51250d8fd08ac262d538508f420d25a61314863871-1300379296-4d8236a0-620x348.jpg

potentially buy his way in. but i was saying on indy you have to wonder if Alonso & McLaren will part ways completely. as since 2015 it been disaster after disaster. he seemed furious & knew his fate was sealed before his run

if he goes with American knowledge go with ganassi or penske & he can get there

1_KpaE9Vk6fDwbdsMcRDSfTQ.jpeg

"I've called this press conference today to announce our very exciting signing for next season. He is best known for his time in F1 but he's come over here and really shown us what a talent he is. Yes in the Penske car for 2020 will be.....Takuma Sato"

What's all this crap about the triple crown being Monaco, Indy 500 and Le Mans, it was always F1 WDC Indy 500 and Le Mans, as back in the day the Indy 500 and Le Mans were not part of a series, Monaco was.

When Graham Hill did it, think Le Mans was the one he needed, Jim Clark could have done it but wouldn't race at Le Mans as he did it once in a Lotus and said never again

Last edited:
When Graham Hill did it, think Le Mans was the one he needed, Jim Clark could have done it but wouldn't race at Le Mans as he did it once in a Lotus and said never again

There's actually a touch of sadness in that as Clark would almost certainly have left Lotus perhaps as early as the end of 1968 but definitely by the end of 1969, as he had already entered in to talks to work with Aston Martin in sports car racing. He may well have returned to Le Mans.

Before Lotus he was contracted to race an Aston Martin F1 car, however they withdrew before the season start as the car was front engined and they realised it would be uncompetitive with the growing ascendency of the mid engines of Cooper and Lotus.

It's always been Monaco, Le Man's and Indy in my time. When is 'back in the day'?

Back in the day RasputinLives is anytime in the past that suits the point you’re making, but you can’t quite remember exactly when. It’s a handy phrase when the little grey cells aren’t working as well as they should, especially after a glass (or two) of wine, or something. I have found it to be quite useful.
:snigger:

The history record will show that Alonso has won the Le Mans 24 hr twice in a row. Feels very hollow though doesn't it? Well.....as long as the sponsors are happy.

View attachment 12582

"I've called this press conference today to announce our very exciting signing for next season. He is best known for his time in F1 but he's come over here and really shown us what a talent he is. Yes in the Penske car for 2020 will be.....Takuma Sato"

ROFL
Coultard is off contract the end of this season and hasn't resigned so Roger is still after a V8 supercar driver for 2020.

Back
Top Bottom