• A Solid #2 driver

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never had a chance

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Speshal

World Champion
Valued Member
An age old question but how do you rate Felipe Massa's season?

To me it seems that this season he's not been his usual self, could this be because of any of the reasons listed above or is has he been dispirited since Hockenheim?

The Ferrari is obviously quick enough to challenge the Red Bulls but he seems to be under performing in it?

I hate to be all [other place] but I'm just curious as to his massive drop in form.

Re: [poll] Felipe Massa

I think it's a combination of several factors.

Up against Alonso he really didn't have a chance. Say what you like but Alonso is one of the best in F1 at the moment and not many drivers can match him.

Additionally, I doubt Alonso signed for Ferrari without being the de-facto No.1 so since the start of the season Massa will have known his place.

As for his accident, I think it might have affected him at the start of the season but I doubt it does now.

I think "Never had a chance" should perhaps be worded as "was never allowed to have a chance."

Ferrari have liked having a solid no 1 driver and a no 2 lackey for some time now. This season is no different.

Brogan said:
I think it's a combination of several factors.

Up against Alonso he really didn't have a chance. Say what you like but Alonso is one of the best in F1 at the moment and not many drivers can match him.

Additionally, I doubt Alonso signed for Ferrari without being the de-facto No.1 so since the start of the season Massa will have known his place.

As for his accident, I think it might have affected him at the start of the season but I doubt it does now.

2nded

Since hockehiem he has defiently given up, in fact that clumsy mistake at suzuka was his first retirement. Although i thinkk had massa been ahead of alonso on points the ame would have happened. Massa clearly wasnt giving way in oz and malysia, and silverstone.

Funnily enough, Alonso didn't look too hot earlier in the year, he didn't look any good until hockenheim and knowing that his team was going to back him as #1 from then on. Seems to me he can only be quick when he has a lapdog for a team mate.

I would say that there is no wy that Alonso (curse him) wasn't made defacto #1 when he signed on the dotted line. Otherwise, I doubt that he WOULD have signed. It is possible that Massa wasn't informed of this little fact in the beginning, but he was doubtless made aware of it during the season.

As for the accident no longer having an effect on him: I would say that it is undoubtedly still effecting him. Such accidents usually do. Moss retired after a wreck, because driving was no longer "effortless" for him. Surtees was only a shadow of his former self after his crash at Mosport in his Lola T70. Some drivers recover mentally better than others, but I believe that such incidents always have a permanent effect.

PurpleSector said:
Waste of a Ferrari seat, Rosberg almost beat him in standings and would have if Webber did not take him out in Korea.
But Rosberg wouldn't have been anywhere near Massa if Massa hadn't had to let Alonso through at Germany. Who is to say that Massa wouldn't have beaten Alonso for the rest of the season?!?

Anthony Davidson made an interesting point on the goings on in Hockenheim that Felipe went off the track on the first lap, made up some places and it went unpunished by the stewards (personally I don't remember the incident maybe someone has a video of the event?). The point he was making was that without this incident he would have been behind Alonso so there would not have been any need for the shenanagins at the hairpin.

Not sure if it really makes any difference now as Vettel won the title ;)

As to the specific question I think it's a combination of the options. He appears to have lost something since his accident but I think he also lost something in the Ferrari team and, based on the results in the 2nd half of the year, can't even be thought of as a solid No. 2.

FB said:
Anthony Davidson made an interesting point on the goings on in Hockenheim that Felipe went off the track on the first lap, made up some places and it went unpunished by the stewards (personally I don't remember the incident maybe someone has a video of the event?). The point he was making was that without this incident he would have been behind Alonso so there would not have been any need for the shenanagins at the hairpin.

Not sure if it really makes any difference now as Vettel won the title ;)
I definitely have a recollection of Massa going off track on the first lap. I presume he made up places as well, given that the cars would have been bunched up, but I wouldn't bet any vital organs on the fact!

OK, any transgression by Massa is a moot point given the Championship result but, in the absence of any potential video evidence, I'm happy to be a material witness. I'm even willing to be detained in order to guarantee my presence at any hearing, as long as it's a 5 star hotel that I'm put up in... :tea:

Back
Top Bottom