Fancy Clip The Apex as a sponsor of the revived Brabham F1 Team?

it remains to be seen if this project can in anyway take off but after the massive farce that was the return or not of Team Lotus to formula one I actually think this sounds a lot more promising. As for a return to F1 using this format of funding I think he has two hopes. The last team that tried fan based sponsorship was Lola through the purchase of Mastercards and we all know how badly that went.

As it goes though, I'll watch with interest. In the unlikely even they ever did make it all the way to F1, I would support them more than I would any current team on the grid that's for sure.

Hmm, not sure the BT49 meets all the current regs.
Loved that Car's design, was there a reason at the time front wings were removed from the car, as that would be unheard of now:
Brabham_bt49.jpg

Lotus_80_Thum.jpg

Yes ATL11, it was part of the ground effects design of the car. The whole car through the shape of the side pods and underbody was essentially a wing in its own right. The rear wing acted to trim the balance of the car and adjust the centre of gravity. The front wing at some circuits (not all) was left off to maximise air flow through the venturi tunnels (under the side pods) and because the centre of gravity was further to the rear there was no requirement to use a wing at the front.

There are a number of examples of other cars of the same era without front wings, or in the case of the Lotus 80 shown above, without both (although there was a slight rear wing).

Arrows once tried to run their A3 car at the South African GP without a rear wing (very long straight at Kyalami at the time). I think both drives managed a couple of laps before coming back in and having the wing put back on. The likes of Gordon Murray and Patrick Head found it all very amusing.

6962994372_17cf97119b_z.jpg

Just going back to the original post (and my apologies for driving things off topic) but why do people feel the need to try and revive historic names in F1? I appreciate for the Brabham family it's their heritage, albeit Bernie managed to kill it, as a marque but why do we need it back again?

I have to say, at least they are better placed to bring it back. They have brought it back into the family fold where it started. They own it and can successfully re-launch it.

At least it won't descend into a Malaysian political farce that totally destroyed the last vestige of hope for a once great British motoring name.

Good luck to them.

Just going back to the original post (and my apologies for driving things off topic) but why do people feel the need to try and revive historic names in F1? I appreciate for the Brabham family it's their heritage, albeit Bernie managed to kill it, as a marque but why do we need it back again?

Must admit harking back to the late 70's & 80's if they could bring back another team I'd love to be part of that investment and if they need a front wheel jack bloke, happy to help with that too. Always found the Wolf team just a little different than the other teams at that time and cracking livery too.

Buy thinking about wanting to revive old names, could it not be simply because at that time in F1, the cars were so different from each other and innovation was there to see?

Maybe this is what F1 needs/wants?

lets hope Brabham coming back to F1 does not turn out in a shambolic fighting of the naming rights like Lotus turned out to be

Bernie killed the brand once he realised he could make more money as sports promoter

All it is needs is for Gordon Murray to design the car again ... his BT52 and BT55 were superb cars

do they still have the fan car in the carriage they could bring out

Apart from Sir Jack, the family Brabham's flirtation with F1 has been brief and dismal. They would be best of sticking to what they know best (as they have announced) and taking on endurance and sports car racing. The trouble is, if they really wanted to crack the highest level they are going to have to beat some massive works team finance (Audi, etc) to do it.

Back
Top Bottom