Technical F1 Engines - Where to for the future?

There are more ways of creating more mechanical grip then just having wider tyres and more turbulence would not be an issue with cars being less reliant on aerodynamics in fact it would help overtaking as more drag would create a bigger slip stream effect allowing the car behind to get closer down the straights...

Last edited:
Not if the wings become much smaller and with less added winglets, that would have the effect of reducing aero grip which could then be made up by increasing mechanical grip. It was easier to slipstream in the days before wings than it is nowadays.

This was in reply to rufus_mcdufus, Mephistopheles just pushed his way in as usual.

Last edited:
Wider tyres, more power have a purely cosmetic appeal to the people in power in F1. They are concerned about their loss in popularity and instead of addressing the real problems they are just groping around for more DRS type gimmicks. Individually people in F1 might be terribly bright but collectively they are as thick as shit.

Last edited:
Gear change or canoe type? I suspect that with 7 or 8 speeds a conventional gear change is long since past, so even moving it to the side and being similar to a hand change, really it will still be electronic. Will it be a good idea to remove a hand from a wheel. The world does move on, but how much it should when in the real world rather than the almost rarefied world of F1

Those who were objecting to the F-duct on safety grounds were also the ones who were suffering from the use of it. The McLaren drivers didn't seem to think that it was dangerous.

Say what you want about NASCAR but they do a much better job of keeping the competition close and doing what the fans want. I think Formula 1 fans, teams and the people who run the show are more sophisticated but damn, why can't the people in charge take successful and proven ideas from other series and make the show better?

has anyone else changed there mind since 2013/2014 when these new engines where introduced. I was fully behind them, because I thought we have to say relevant to the road & that we need to keep the manufactures onside because Mercedes Renault Honda hardly going to be spend 200m a season on v8/v10 technology that has zero crossover. but others + horner during FP1 have persuaded me that considering the way engine technology is moving to electric, hydrogen & even more Hybrids. we have Formula E & WEC that are better suited to doing what F1 was known for with Road Relevance & crossovers.

that F1 should now concentrate on being a sport instead of tech showcase abit like Horse Racing, because if we try to keep up we will be killed off because as many have said in the next 5/7 years Petrol cars might not even exist. although this V6's are brilliant we are going faster than ever in F1 History. but I was thinking maybe go back a V10 with some kind hybrid regen element to it, as I want to keep some simpler element to it

I would like to see Formula 1 just set a limit on fuel used in a race (but not flow) and let the teams sort out how to get to the end on that amount of fuel. If they want to run a turbo 4 cylinder or naturally aspirated V8, it's up to them. They could even give a slight break to teams using a production based engine and let them use an extra 5 kg of fuel. It would be interesting seeing what teams came up with to stretch the fuel economy.

To add to that, I'd make it an energy limit for the car (so 'x' Kw total), that you can add at any point so refuelling is allowed.

No limit on energy recovery from anywhere, and no restriction on fuel type either.

Edit: refuelling allowed, but not mandatory, and no restriction on tyres/tyre manufacturers that outght to mix it up a bit...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom