Pre-Season F1 2022

The ideal result from testing is to be top of the time-sheets and sandbagging. There's no reason to think RB aren't doing just that – I'd go so far as to say it's likely they're holding back a smidge – any top team in form would do the same. I agree it's very possible Mercedes will pull something out of the hat but it's not the start they wanted. Glad to see Ferrari potentially hitting their marks.

I saw somewhere today that Lando said all the new cars are quite sensitive to the wind.....

Good, I say, "starts reminiscing about tracks around RAF aerodromes...."

That makes sense. Because the low pressure areas under the car are created by altering the flow of air under and around the sides of the floor, any cross wind will upset that flow. Increasing the ride height reduces the porpoising effect we've seen but allows the wind to affect the car to a greater extent. Balancing these cars is going to be extremely difficult.

The original "zero pod" design

1647205186458.png

Larini made the race five times. He performed better in the later part of the season, probably since the 7th place in Phoenix helped to get the team out of pre-qualifying. Early in the season Jordan and Dallara were strong enough to take pre-qualifier spots in four out of eight races. Pirro was knocked out three times (once by van de Poele, twice by Grouillard) and de Cesaris once (by Larini).

Granted it's only practice times which doesn't tell the whole story but looking at the gap between the front and back of the grid it looks tiny.

1st to 12th are separated by less than a second and 1st to 19th separated by 1.8 seconds. If Magnusson hadn't had car troubles then I fully expect he would have been hire up as well.

Long gone are the days when the midfield could be 3 or 4 seconds behind the front runners.

It is incredible how the teams are now all within 2.5 seconds of each other (when at full-beans) - based on the Melbourne track.

If we went back to 1999, being 2.5 seconds behind the fastest car would have put you 10th on the grid!

The cars may be closer, but is there really that much more "racing"? I suspect the cars would finish in the same order as at the end of lap 1 without DRS.

It is incredible how the teams are now all within 2.5 seconds of each other (when at full-beans) - based on the Melbourne track.

If we went back to 1999, being 2.5 seconds behind the fastest car would have put you 10th on the grid!
agree on that terrible cars now would be front of midfield now

FB we maybe starting from a low bar. but i think the racing is great compared to even 2021

I am bored that we have 2 minutes of action after each artificial restart rather than any actual real racing between mechanical failure or pay driver flying off the circuit.

this mode of racing would be dead after new rule niggles were sorted if we restricted it to the best drivers.

My favourite part is how the safety car either ****s you up or benefits you massively, purely based on where you are on the circuit when it is deployed.

Back
Top Bottom