Pre-Season F1 2022

there have been very few successful sons of WDC's,
Indeed this is so, but there are very few WDCs in the first place. I think in reality we can say the successful (success being subjective, mind) ones are:
Brabham
Hill
Andretti
Piquet
Villeneuve
Rosberg

Villeneuve Sr wasn't a world champion. (Should have been, but...)

It's debatable to describe Gary or David Brabham as successful (although David was successful in sportscars)... Michael Andretti was successful in the states, less so here. Mick Schumacher has so far performed as well as Michael Andretti did in 1993. The only difference is that Andretti was in machinery that could win a race.

Ironically, of the drivers who have not won world championships, Piquet jr is probably the most successful.

Ooops, my bad with Villeneuve...
Success being subjective as I said:
  • Winning Le Mans 24 hours
  • Indy World Series Champion
I think yours might be only:
  • F1 World Champion
In which case your "Piquet jr is the most successful" then becomes a discussion on where Formula E sits (which is why I scored-through his father above, since I think it would come below Le Mans & Indy)...

NEW THREAD IDEA!!!

I think there were only two, Hill and Rosberg, Whilst Piquet jr was fairly good he was overwhelmed by Alonso, so his actual performance was never displayed, if any of the sons were that good they would have been in winning cars, only Andretti was and he failed miserably, Villeneurve was a 5 minute wonder in a car set up by Damon Hill, after that he was very much an also ran.

he hasn't exactly shone in the Hass, for him to be a consideration he needed to do a Russell on Mazepin
he isnt at russell level yet but i think it was 20-2 in qualifying & outqualifed mazepin by a huge margin most races. i like to see him in a midfield car 1st through

I think yours might be only:
  • F1 World Champion
Not quite - I was just thinking about successful in F1. Brabhams were definitely not successful, not was Andretti. I never remember Andretti being lauded as a "son of a former world champion" at the time though.

Hill definitely was - but he was coming in without the level of success that Andretti had had in Indycars. My memory of Michael Andretti's debut in F1 was as "Indycar Champion". Damon's debut was "Son of Graham"

(Probably a little strange, given that Damon probably gained much less of a leg-up from his family connections, not least after his father's passing)

Did not realise this but Mazepin cannot compete under Russian flag because Russia are banned due to state doping programme by WADA. He is racing under Russian Auto Federation

Albon cannot compete under Thai flag because apparently Thailand are not compliant with WADA about doping control and therefore banned. This is pending an appeal. Not sure he could compete under the British flag

Did not realise this but Mazepin cannot compete under Russian flag because Russia are banned due to state doping programme by WADA. He is racing under Russian Auto Federation

Albon cannot compete under Thai flag because apparently Thailand are not compliant with WADA about doping control and therefore banned. This is pending an appeal. Not sure he could compete under the British flag
he is half British but he in the 1st spell it was thai

yeah its a more exotic variant of the murrayitis we get most summers when he was at Toro Rosso & impressing at red bull. he had a British father & grew up in British. when he was dumped he was racing under a thai flag
Not sure that is true. I think he has always raced under a thai flag. It is because he gets sponsorship from Thailand.

Yes, he’s always raced as a Thai.
Given the choice, I’d do the same… he’d gain a greater level of fame if successful.
Not sure of his following amongst Thais, though.

Not sure that is true. I think he has always raced under a thai flag. It is because he gets sponsorship from Thailand.

Albon was born in London, educated in Ipswich, and has lived in England for most of his life, but he adopted his mother, Kankamol’s Thai nationality. His father, Nigel Albon, is a former British Touring Car driver.

“I have both British & Thai passports but I chose to drive under the Thai flag,” Albon added. “I do feel Thai, but it doesn’t mean I don’t feel British either.

“In the end it is a racing licence. You have to choose one & I chose Thai. There are no regrets, and I don’t think I will change that.”

In the extremely unlikely event that Hamilton did walk away, for Mercedes to resign Bottas would seem like utter madness.

I'd stick Nyck De Vries in the car tomorrow. He knows the team as he's already the test driver and he'd win Mercedes some of the Dutch fans currently all following Verstappen.

You couldn't even say that it would leave Merc with two rookies because Russell raced for Mercedes and De Vries has tested for them.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

But saying all of that, Hamilton will be in the car next season.
here you go ive got idea in the extremely unlikely scenario that hamilton retires

Sebastian Vettel

Hamilton pretending to be thinking about retiring racks up the pressure on the FIA to avoid a similar incident to the last lap in Abu Dhabi.

Back
Top Bottom