Football England World Cup 2018 Bid/FIFA Corruption

teabagyokel

#dejavu
Valued Member
So the day is near, the holders of the 2018 (and 2022) World Cups will be decided on Thursday. However, they are overshadowed (hopefully) by allegations made by Panorama about FIFA voters taking bribes from ISL in the 1990s, Jack Warner's continued touting of tickets in 2010 and the ridiculous guarantees FIFA requires from a World Cup host.

This column from the Observer's article history has a few interesting snippets about FIFA's past.

I'm hoping that FIFA decide to award the World Cup to somewhere else (Russia), as I feel that England should not be a World Cup host. I choose the word host to conjure up images of FIFA the parasite; its demands with regard to tax breaks and labour laws are ridiculous, and it is baffling that so many nations put up to this affront to sovereignty to host what is essentially a football tournament.

In addition, it is not the United Kingdom's role to act as the railroad for the gravy train for such corrupt and odious individuals as Warner, Blatter and the various hangers-on thereof.

The economic benefits of the tournament are exaggerated by the assumption that FIFA will not bleed its host dry, as it has done in the past. South African street vendors were banned from the street near 2010 World Cup stadia, and I have no reason to suppose that those trying to sell drinks made by Pepsi, for example, will not be intimidated should a 2018 World Cup be held here.

Lets hope the World Cup goes somewhere where a corrupt government deserves to be in thrall to a corrupt attachment of international cretins for a while. Russia, for example.

Absolutely. When you read that the individuals in the Panorama investigation have held their posts for 15, 20, 25 years it tells you all you need to know. Absolute power corrupts absolutely, and the longer the power is held the more corrupt the regime becomes.

FIFA are even more dismissive of suggestions of corruption than the IOC are, which is quite an achievement in itself.

Hopefully England will not turn up (or continue to not turn up as they have for the last 20 years...)

That didn't take too long to sort out.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9250585.stm

England were the 1st team to be voted out of the running. Its the Eurovision mentality and unless we sort out our internal politics and policies we shouldn't even bother applying for the 2026 world cup!*

Good luck Russia, hopefully FIFA won't bankrupt your country as you build all your stadia and infrastructure from scratch!

*2022 world cup is going to be hosted by Qatar

Qatar! Are you kidding me?! How in the heck did they pull that one off?! Oh yeah, I remember - FIFA is full of senile, corrupt, myopic bureaucrats who'd sell their children for a sixpence if they had the chance! So give the World Cup to Qatar, a country with no stadia or footballing heritage but a s***load of oil and money to flaunt under people's noses!

And Russia? At least they've got football heritage but surely they can't be better suited than Spain/Portugal, England or Netherlands/Belgium? I'm sorry but these decisions seem to simply reinforce Panorama's findings!

Well done Mr Blatter and FIFA, here's to your champagne and caviar!

F1Yorkshire said:
England were the 1st team to be voted out of the running. Its the Eurovision mentality and unless we sort out our internal politics and policies we shouldn't even bother applying for the 2026 world cup!*

Good luck Russia, hopefully FIFA won't bankrupt your country as you build all your stadia and infrastructure from scratch!

We can't apply for 2026 because Europe can't host the tournament within 12 years of its previous hosting; in an attempt to stop what happened 10 years ago when Asia switched their votes to Germany from South Africa to protest against Blatter.

The Qatar World Cup is going to be awesome. I think people need to see a new side to the Middle East, because it is not good for anyone that the whole image is of terrorists and theocratic republics.

I wonder what time in the day they are planning on holding the Qatar games. The last time I looked it was a desert around there? Unless they plan to build climate controlled stadiums* it's going to be a bit warm for a game of footy!

I'm disappointed about the decision. It's nothing to do with the politics and corruption but Leeds would have been one of the places that would have benefited a lot from a world cup visit.

Elland Road would have been upgraded to a 50,000 seater stadium, the council would have finally got the funding for the mass transit projects that Leeds desperately needs to stop the crippling congestion and there would be a massive boost for the local economy. Euro 96 was a lot of fun especially as we had Spain as a 'home' team.

From a professional point of view all the extra work that would have been needed would boost the construction industry which would give me the job security which I have been missing the last two years.

*which is a possibility as the largest indoor snow slope is in that part of the world!

Back
Top Bottom