DRS

What is your current feeling about the DRS?

• Total voters
I think the choice of DRS zone was probably to blame rather than the system itself. Perhaps if it had been across the start/finish straight the passing driver would have been able to make the move stick, or at least the run down on the main straight would have been more of a proper slip streaming battle.

Today's race just confirmed for me my position on DRS and KERS. I had been warming up to DRS but in the main I feel it has either led to artificial overtaking or artificially disadvantaging drivers from breaking free of time wasting dog fights to get on with challenging for positions ahead. Lewis's need to drive defensively must have cost him time. Numerous times he had to break the tow using his KERS only for it to be negated by Webber using his later and then having the bonus of DRS to rejoin the battle. The reason I see DRS as the bug bear is because the drivers have been given a tool but not the freedom to use it when and where they decide to use it. That's why I like the F-duct, it was a device in the hands of the driver and it was up to him to make best use of it.

The FIA should take the gloves off DRS for at least two races to see what happens. Then if that doesn't work, get rid of it.

Maybe DRS should be limited so that it can only be used once every 3 laps, that way drivers won't just wait until the zone to overtake but you won't get cars being stuck behind lap after lap.

It might be some improvement if an overtaken driver could not get DRS as a result of the overtake. Say not being able to use DRS for the next 2 laps?

At least twice a driver made a good pass on the pit straight only to lose the place due to the overtaken car being able to use DRS. A totally stupid occurrence.

It might be some improvement if an overtaken driver could not get DRS as a result of the overtake.

As for the Hamilton/Webber battle in Sector 1, DRS did not play a part in either move.

Lewis had the re-pass nearly completed before he even entered the DRS zone. Just watched the onboard and they were with Hamilton facing rearward, he was (slightly) ahead of Webber before opening the wing.

Webber was slow out of Turn 2 all day, otherwise he would have passed Hamilton in the DRS zone at some point.

Maybe so, but if not for the DRS zone, Hamilton would have comfortably pulled away from Webber.

It was only the fact that Webber was able to claw the gap back that Hamilton built up each lap by opening the rear wing which kept him in contention for so long.

There are plenty of passes made outside the DRS zone.

All the DRS zone does is give the driver behind an unfair advantage, as once he's past, the driver who was in front isn't permitted to employ the same device.

The very nature of overtaking requires that you hold some sort of advantage.

For decades the aero regs have ensured that the following car was at a disadvantage.

I'm glad the pendulum has swung a bit.

once he's past, the driver who was in front isn't permitted to employ the same device.

Agree with that bit - I do think the sporting regs need a tweak. Maybe all DRS zones should be 2 part where if you are behind at the end of part 1, you get the DRS in part 2. It would work at most circuits I would have thought?

DRS has been good and bad.
I would prefer to see changes though, to allow more real world advances. When i get a DRS on my car I'll see the real point, KERS advances would be far superior and I've said so for a couple of years, harvest and store as much as you physically can and release as much as you want whenever you want, that would show benefits for racing and the road car.
White wall tyres will always get my vote too, I know they're trying their best to get them fully introduced but the line is too thin. Also, the red/yellow/blue/green colours aren't pimp enough.

Today's race just confirmed for me my position on DRS and KERS. I had been warming up to DRS but in the main I feel it has either led to artificial overtaking or artificially disadvantaging drivers from breaking free of time wasting dog fights to get on with challenging for positions ahead. Lewis's need to drive defensively must have cost him time. Numerous times he had to break the tow using his KERS only for it to be negated by Webber using his later and then having the bonus of DRS to rejoin the battle. The reason I see DRS as the bug bear is because the drivers have been given a tool but not the freedom to use it when and where they decide to use it. That's why I like the F-duct, it was a device in the hands of the driver and it was up to him to make best use of it.

The FIA should take the gloves off DRS for at least two races to see what happens. Then if that doesn't work, get rid of it.

I'd like to see freedom of use of DRS in a race as well, but I fear it would be too dangerous.

Back
Top Bottom