Driver Numbers

sushifiesta

Champion Elect
Contributor
I thought this could do with it's own article although there have been comments elsewhere. So the FIA's troop of monkeys have been busy locked away at work with their typewriters and come up with a handful of new mostly mindboggling regulations. One of the more sane changes is that from now on the drivers will get to pick a number between 2 and 99 that stays with them for their whole career (with the current champion having the option to use number 1).

The FIA have already asked the drivers what numbers they want, along with a 2nd and 3rd choice, with priority given to the driver who finished highest in the 2013 WDC where there are conflicts. They have to submit their answers by the end of the year so I guess we should hear the results in early January.

As a starting point though, one driver has announced the number he wants - and it's quite a clever one I think. Let me introduce you to Mr. Valtteri Bo77as: https://twitter.com/ValtteriBottas/status/411533807163277312 .

Any proposals for driver numbers you'd like to see? Or general comments about the change in the numbering rules?

Allocated Numbers:

DriverNumber
[TD1]Sebastian VETTEL[/TD1][TD1]5 (will use 1 in 2014 as champion)[/TD1] [TD1]Daniel RICCIARDO[/TD1][TD1]3[/TD1] [TD1]Lewis HAMILTON [/TD1][TD1]44[/TD1] [TD1]Nico ROSBERG[/TD1][TD1]6[/TD1] [TD1]Fernando ALONSO[/TD1][TD1]14[/TD1] [TD1]Kimi RAIKKONEN[/TD1][TD1]7[/TD1] [TD1]Romain GROSJEAN[/TD1][TD1]8[/TD1] [TD1]Pastor MALDONADO[/TD1][TD1]13[/TD1] [TD1]Jenson BUTTON[/TD1][TD1]22[/TD1] [TD1]Kevin MAGNUSSEN[/TD1][TD1]20[/TD1] [TD1]Nico HULKENBERG[/TD1][TD1]27[/TD1] [TD1]Sergio PEREZ[/TD1][TD1]11[/TD1] [TD1]Adrian SUTIL[/TD1][TD1]99[/TD1] [TD1]Esteban GUTIERREZ[/TD1][TD1]21[/TD1] [TD1]Jean-Eric VERGNE[/TD1][TD1]25[/TD1] [TD1]Daniil KVYAT[/TD1][TD1]26[/TD1] [TD1]Felipe MASSA[/TD1][TD1]19[/TD1] [TD1]Valtteri BOTTAS[/TD1][TD1]77[/TD1] [TD1]Jules BIANCHI[/TD1][TD1]17[/TD1] [TD1]Max CHILTON[/TD1][TD1]4[/TD1]

Last edited by a moderator:
So shall we have bets on a joker going for 69

Do you think drivers will be able to have the number in a colour.The one I remember was Nigels red 5, it was iconic.

This is interesting. Lucky and Unlucky numbers around the world.

Lucky-and-Unlucky-Numbers.png

Are they no allowing Damon's Zero to be taken?

I still think this is a stupid rule and takes away from the whole idea of the team championship. Its just the first step to 3 car teams and different liveries within team cars.

Viscount - Senna always went with evens, so Lewis will follow. Not to mention he had evens in 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012 and 2013 and odds in his two poorer seasons.

Think Vettel might go for 69! Kinky Kylie, indeed.

I think of someone desperately wanted 0, especially of they're a Hill family member, the rules will bend.

in reference to 500Cc/ MotoGP where riders can pick any number except No 1 is designated for world champions

If my memory serves me right not since Mick Doohan back in 1998 a reigning world champion has not managed to defend their title carrying No 1... Valentino Rossi even though he was world champion was still carrying no 46

- Stoner/ Lorenzo/ Hayden/ Roberts Jnr/ Criville have all failed to defend their title carrying no 1

Back
Top Bottom