Did Webber lose a race win on lap 27?

Upon further investigation, it is likely that Webber owes a bit of lost time to the Local Yellow flags following the di Resta - Buemi incident.

Hamilton lost over a second from Lap 26 to Lap 27.

L26 - 1:37.630
L27 - 1:38.858

This might be a good place to once again mention the weird layout of the new Silverstone pit lane where you can, somewhat incredibly, gain time.

Just about every driver turned in their fastest lap on an IN-Lap. For example, Alonso's fastest official lap was a 1:34.908, but his Pit IN-Lap on L39 was a 1:33.391.

Here is what I can see:

Webber's outlap was 4.93s slower than Alonso's, having already lost 1.22s on his inlap.

HAM was 3.5s ahead of WEB at the end of lap 27. This had been 3.7s at the end of sector 2 and 2.5s at the end of sector 1 of his outlap.

Any chance of the Alonso sector times for laps 26 to 28, Keke?

Upon further investigation, it is likely that Webber owes a bit of lost time to the Local Yellow flags following the di Resta - Buemi incident.

Hamilton lost over a second from Lap 26 to Lap 27.

L26 - 1:37.630
L27 - 1:38.858
di Resta / Buemi was on their lap 26, which di Resta started 73s behind / 25s ahead of the leader (Vettel).

Maybe Webber's problem was debris, or the recovering Toro Rosso, but the accident itself looks to have happened a good minute before Webber & Hamilton next went through the scene.

the accident itself looks to have happened a good minute before Webber & Hamilton next went through the scene.

I know, but the yellow flags stayed out for about two laps while they tried to clean up the mess.

I can give you all the sector times you want, but what are we trying to discover here?

I can give you all the sector times you want, but what are we trying to discover here?

Thanks. Alonso's will do for now.

I will know what I am looking for when I find it! :)

My thoughts are that WEB lost 4 secs in his outlap alone (plus the other 1.5s lost in the pits and 1.2s lost on his in lap). We have seen that WEB's S3 was fine and thought that S2 accounts for 1.5s or so of that 5 secs. Actually seeing ALO's S2 times, you can see that HAM, WEB, BUT & MAS were all a second or more slower on their outlap than ALO, suggesting that the di Resta / Buemi accident (at the start of S2) might account for 2.5s of that (where it cost the others 1s for some reason).

That means there is 1.5s lost between the pitlane timing beam and the end of S1 on the brooklands straight. If you are also right that WEB was already clearly behind HAM, when he came out, I have to assume that there was further time lost in the pitlane, after the timing beam and before he got back to the track.

Maybe I will leave it there, it seems that a very, very scrappy few minutes saw Webber lose nearly 6.7s to Alonso in a combination of multiple seperate incidents on his in lap (1.2s), pitlane (1.5s), S1 (1.5s) and S2 (2.5s).

This is not because he has cold tyres and the others have their up to speed, because I have compared like with like.

Thanks for humouring me with the data... :goodday:

it seems that a very, very scrappy few minutes saw Webber lose nearly 6.7s to Alonso in a combination of multiple seperate incidents on his in lap (1.2s), pitlane (1.5s), S1 (1.5s) and S2 (2.5s).

That's pretty much it. In the span of those two laps Webber lost any chance he had of winning the Grand Prix. The fact that Vettel could have a disastrous (for RBR standards) pit stop, and STILL come out ahead of Webber is a bit inexcusable on Mark's part. I'm sure this hasn't been lost on the Milton Keynes outfit.

Back
Top Bottom