David Croft ranks the current drivers from best to worst, if they were all driving the same car

To make the top three they'd have to be beating their team mate most of the time.So no way no how could Button or Webber be there, not I think by anyones reckoning

Button has more plausibility as he has the pedigree, being a former champion, currently beating his team mate. I could say that on equal footing Button is closer to being top 3 material, particularly if you also have to take the experience and "complete" criteria. Mark mmmm maybe, he has shown that he can particularly last season, prior to the melt down.

Button is closer than Mark yes. And he's currently ahead of Hamilton in the points (but thats a rarity). When outside events dont intervene Hamilton beats Button . When Button hit Hamilton it cost hamilton dearly and benefitted Button hugely (regarding points)
Just dont think Mark can be considered in the current field.

The top teams are likely to attract the top drivers and WDC. The top drivers in the top three teams are in the top three. It's not rocket science.

I think at that point in time it was probably a fair assessment, Alonso is driving that car to the best he has had on the whole fairly clean and precise races. Vettel is doing exactly what he needs to - putting that Red Bull where it should be.

If I was to look at the top when they are at their best? I'd have a different order personally.

I would also have Petrov much higher (probably 7th) I think he's doing a sterling job this year and has the potential to go a lot further.

Surely this as an end of season exercise would have been better and, if there was much "pondering" put into it, the one-liner justifications are a fairly pathetic result.

The web site, itself, is also not very pleasant to view, so a long way from a "podium" place in my ranking system.

I would add further to this with specific likes and dislikes but, frankly, I cannot be arsed. LOL

I expected Vettel to be first, judging by the way he's been getting rated this season, surprised not to see him Number 1, but can't say I am surprised to see Alonso Number one either, ever since he's got this tag of "complete" he's somehow being getting ranked Number 1 for some while, funny thing is, I think it was Alonso himself who gave himself this title.

Should he be number one? Well I wouldn't want to choose out of him, Hamilton or Vettel.

What I am really surprised about is....BUEMI 17th??!!! What is this guy on? :shocked:

Why does Croft have Mark Webber in 5th? Yet have Schumacher in 12th and Massa in 14th? Mark Webber has only achieved two second places this season compare that to his team-mate.

Barrichello in 10th aswell.

Can't please everybody I suppose. :)

Is this some kind of wind up? This guy is, like, totally ridiculous!

I mean, Schumacher 12th??? Crazy, crazy. He's definitely the 11th best, any fool can see that. And Glock, haha, what is going on there? I mean, come on, open your eyes! Who's this Heidfeld anyway? Does he even have a drive??? Can't believe my licence fee is paying this Croft's wages!

Is this based on some kind of subjective assessment? Because obviously he should put the ones he likes the best at the front like wot any sane person would do.

actually quite pleased to see Kovi higher up the list than the performance of his car. In the last two years I think he's done a pretty good job of helping to develop the Lotus into something that has started to show real signs of improvement.

An interesting list and very subjective.

Perhaps the only factor that can't be taken into account on a list which supposes that all cars are equal are the inter-team relationships between drivers. We don't know for example about what goes on in driver meetings behind closed doors. How much set up information each driver puts in to pot etc etc. It's always been a well known fact in F1 that some drivers share everything while others would rather sacrafice their grandmothers to the great chicken in the sky before revealling to their teeam mates even the slightest bit of set up information.

Interesting none the less

Yikes poor Sutil down in 18th was not expecting that!

Also gotta agree with someone further up this thread, Webber 5th really??? He's done nought in F1 this year and only got a few lucky second places.

Reckon Heidfeld been ahead of Petrov is crazy aswell, sorry Evilwippet but Petrov is the better driver IMHO.

Also sad to see both Toro Rosso drivers so far down, aswell as Sergio Perez.

But last but no means least feel really gutted to see Massa so far down in rankings!

But agree with the top four, Alonso, Vettel, Hamilton and Button are a cut above the rest.

I've been trying to resist coming up with a list for myself but I've given up so here it is (based on the current 24 drivers):

1. Hamilton - I am a biased Lewis fan, so he is my number one out of the elite three.
2. Alonso - I still feel Fernando and Lewis have a bit more than Seb if they were given the same car.
3. Vettel - His performances this year solidifies his place in the top category for me.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. Button - I think he's the 'best of the rest'
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5. Rosberg - Given the chance I think he'd do a similar job to Button, but I'm a bit uneasy about placing him so high.
6. Webber - Disappointing 2011, but still a race winner. Fast in qualifying and not afraid to get stuck in in the race.
7. Massa - Out of Alonso's shadow he can be a great driver, as shown in 2008.
8. Kobayashi - Pretty much always makes progress in the race, outperforming the car in general.
9. Sutil - Disappointing start to 2011 but always ends the year with a good points haul with one or two stand out drives.
10. di Resta - Had too many accidents this year but for me he's got an exciting future.
11. Kovalainen - Struggled at McLaren but otherwise proven to be quick and kept his head up at Lotus
12. Schumacher - Slowly seems to be regaining his form, much more competitive with Nico this year
13. Perez - Perhaps flattered by a Sauber gentle on its tyres but a promising start nonetheless.
14. Buemi - I feel both the Toro Rosso drivers could do decent jobs in a better car, but it's difficult to tell how decent
15. Alguersuari - See above, Buemi probably has just edged it in the team-mate battle so far
16. Petrov - Much improved this year but still hasn't convinced me completely
17. Glock - His stock has been reduced significantly by moving to Virgin unfortunately for him
18. Barichello - Offers great experience but F1 is perhaps starting to leave him behind.
19. Trulli - Race results compared to Heikki are pretty good but seems to spend most the time moaning
20. d'Ambrosio - Done fairly well but it's very difficult to judge him based on half a season in a Virgin
21. Maldonado - For me the least impressive of the establisihed rookies so far but Spa might be a turning point.
22. Liuzzi - I've never been all that impressed by him personally
23. Ricciardo - Seems to be matching Liuzzi now which is promising
24. Senna - Strong qualifying at Spa but quickly found an accident in the race

When you try it for yourself it quickly becomes apparent how difficult it is! Even in my own list there are things I'm not really happy with! I was trying to do it based on who I would want driving for my team if I was a team owner needing to hire drivers now. The lines separate blocks of drivers who I feel are at a similar level of 'desirability' (in terms of current performance and potential). Ricciardo and Senna are more like 'unrated' rather than 23rd and 24th because there really isn't much to go on for them.

Well I've spent far too long doing this, feel free to comment and criticise my list! Good places to start would be "Why the hell is Schumacher so high?" and "OMG you are such a Hamilton fanboy!" :D.

P.S. I've got no complaints if it's decided this should go in a separate thread.

EDIT - On reflection overnight I've decided to bump d'Ambrosio up a couple of places and I've fiddled with a couple of the lined boundaries a little.

Yikes poor Sutil down in 18th was not expecting that!

Also gotta agree with someone further up this thread, Webber 5th really??? He's done nought in F1 this year and only got a few lucky second places.

Reckon Heidfeld been ahead of Petrov is crazy aswell, sorry Evilwippet but Petrov is the better driver IMHO.

Also sad to see both Toro Rosso drivers so far down, aswell as Sergio Perez.

But last but no means least feel really gutted to see Massa so far down in rankings!

But agree with the top four, Alonso, Vettel, Hamilton and Button are a cut above the rest.
The battle between the two ended with Heidfeld 2 points up.

But if you take both Petrov and heidfelds best laps from each race. Petrov is further ahead of Heidfeld than any other driver pairing. He's probably had more DNF's.

But if you take both Petrov and heidfelds best laps from each race. Petrov is further ahead of Heidfeld than any other driver pairing. He's probably had more DNF's.

Up to and including Hungary Heidfeld led Petrov by 34 points to 32. Heidfeld had 3 retirements (arguably not responsible for any) whilst Petrov had 1.

Look back at the drivers that Heidfeld has beaten, it makes interesting reading..

But still if you take the best laps from both drivers in each race Petrov's are much better. Maybe his worse laps are much worse :dunno:.He is much less experienced (I know that doesnt count when comparing this year's performance)

Also that one retirement of Petrov's was because of Petrov seemingly attempting to become the first man to fly a lap around the Sepang circuit.

ANYWAY, I've argued about Heidfeld on enough different threads. A disproportionate ammount for a guy who's an ex-f1 driver. It's hirtory now.

Back
Top Bottom