Current Daniil Kvyat

Daniil Vyacheslavovich Kvyat or Danny Kvyat to you and I seemed to come as a shock to some as Toro Rosso's choice for a race seat that prompted all sorts of money accusations however if people had been paying attention then it might have been less of a shock.

With Ricciardo being promoted to the A-Team it was only logical that Toro Rosso were going to promote one of their youth squad to the race seat and whilst Kvyat was not at the front of the queue in the fame stakes he certainly got there in the results stakes. At the begining of 2013 he was third in line to the throne sitting firmly behind the ever popular 'oh-my-god-he's-a-future-world-champion' Felix Da Costa and the 'oh-my-god-he's-the-talented-son-of-a-rally-driving-champ' Carlos Sainz Jr. Da Costa was to run with the big boys in the 3.5 series, Sainz Jr was to run in GP3 with races in the 3.5 series when he could whilst Danny was to run in GP3 and as a none points scorer in European F3. Da Costa proceded to throw away his hard earned reputation with a string of mediocre results and as the season went on he looked more and more out classed by Magnussen and Van Dorne. Sainz Jr went at it like a wild man and never failed to look quick, however he was a complete magnet for accidents and most of the time you were watching him coming back through the field after having a nose cone taken off. Our friend Kvyat on the other hand played the slowly slowly catchy monkey game with a quiet but firm start to his GP3 season he kept himself in contention whilst his team sorted out issues with his tyres and then when it came to the start of the second half of the season in Spa he went into overdrive. In a GP3 season that has seen around 10 different winners and the winners of the feature races just falling off the pace in the sprint race Kvyat turned it on its head by winning the last 3 feature races and coming through the field for points finishes in the sprint races. At some points he looked Vettel like untouchable. If you look at that and compare it with what Da Costa and Sainz Jr were doing at the time it shouldn't be a shock to anyone that Toro Rosso decided he was the guy to promote.

Its no doubt that 2014 will be a tricky year for him in F1, although the commentators pronouncing his name will have just as tricky a time (The V is silent apparently). He's come in with brand new rules, very little track time and is up against a much under rated teammate in Jean Eric Vergne who might just have a point to prove. Also as Kyvat has spent the last 2 years winning everything in sight (GP3 Champion in 2013, Formula Renault 2.0 champion in 2012) it will take some time to adjust to fighting in the middle of the pack. Doesn't seem to be the best qualifyer in the world but he does seem to be very cool and calm under pressure and if you give him a good car he gets the best out of it. He also has the Vettel like ability of coming good just as its squeeky bum time.

No doubt you'll spend most of the year hearing about how he is the second Russian to race in F1 and that he'll be looking forward to his home race, however Kvyat was actually born in Bashkortostan which is a soverign state and a subject of Russia. So its all a bit Scotland/Britian which makes him Russia's answer to Paul Di Resta (although he'd prefer you to say Jackie Stewart). He was only born in April 1994 (only about a week before the death of Senna) which makes him not even 20 yet which always leaves the worry that he might crack under the pressure of it all.

It could be the Kvyat just becomes another name on the Red Bull failure list but don't think for a minute he hasn't earned his place in the team. I have a sneeky feeling he'll do better than a lot of people think he will do.

What do people think? Another Vettel or another Jamie Alguersauri?

I read that Gasly too would prefer missing Super Formula in order to improve his F1 experience which is understandable

I just don't get what Red Bull/ Toro Rosso want to do with Kyvat other than show him up as some whipping boy

It looks like Kyvat has been given a lifeline as Palmer has been sacked by Renault which means Sainz replaces him and Kyvat will be back in the Toro Rosso next race

Just when he thinks he's out they pull him back in. I expect a contract renewal to be announced soon.

Maybe not for 2019 though as Dan Ticktum had a brilliant debut drive in GP3 today having only had 45 mins in the car.

Yes. I was incorrect when I posted that 3 weeks ago. Still impressive though given the limited running they had in Monza.

Last edited:
A pity to end with one of his strongest performances, but this decision feels overdue. Hopefully he can find a home - SMP might well be interested for their new LMP1 car.

you know my feelings, I know there harsh on the guy but I was shocked he got a contract extension for 2017 because it was giving the guy false hope, as no other team was interested in him & he couldn't go back to red bull as he couldnt beat a comfortable riccardio & riccardio has said himself as soon Verstappen came in he & the team was pushed to another level so he was in a dead end. he needs to do a Hartley vergne or Buemi where he proved himself outside of the sport.

Problem for Kyvat was his promotion to Red Bull was too soon and coincided with their worst season and he;s been battered due to all the politics to keep Verstappen at all cost...even Sainz as good as he is , is being prevented from developing further than he should and has to go elsewhere to truly prove his abilities.

Whilst the Red Bull bosses keep putting arm around Verstappen.. it just seems like Kyvat been really hung out dry.

Trouble is there are no more opportunities left on the F1 grid for him so maybe a spell in Indycar or Formula E will help rebuild his reputation

even Sainz as good as he is , is being prevented from developing further than he should and has to go elsewhere to truly prove his abilities.
No. Toro Rosso is a junior team for Red Bull's young drivers who have proven themselves in lower formulae. Verstappen was given priority, because he beat Sainz in their first season and because of Kvyats on track incidents and politics. The fact that Red Bull let Sainz go has even given him the opportunity to further develop his abilities instead of being stuck at Toro Rosso and eventually being let go like Alguersuari, Buemi and Vergne.
What were Red Bull supposed to do, release Ricciardo only to promote Sainz?

It's an obvious problem for Red Bull and for young drivers trying to get into F1 in general. There are only two drivers per team, so currently 20 seats in total at the moment. It's not football where a squads consist of 20 players.

Rutherford Err yes ..he is as good as Verstappen but every step he has been in Max's shadow from the moment when Helmut decided Verstappen was going to jump the queue and get promoted to Toro Rosso ahead of Carlos Sainz

Red Bull have held him back

Back
Top Bottom