Danica Patrick sitting on Pole at the 500

F1ang-o

It's a pleasure. I had a feeling you'd appreciate that. I really hope you get to see some NASCAR, especially on the high speed ovals at Talladega and Daytona. There's really nothing quite like it. Enjoy every minute of F1 though, its very special also. Well F1ang-o it's way past Kewee's bedtime over here. Chat again soon. Take care. :yawn: :sleeping:

Kewee, sorry if I caused offence. It was a joke. Give her one ? get it? (I hope my wife doesn't read this by the way)

As it happens I think she is a good driver who has laid down a marker for women in open wheeled motorsport. My knowledge of stock car racing is somewhat limited so I can't really say much about her prospects in that form of racing however, topping the time sheets is a good thing in whatever series you race in. I followed her in Indycar racing and she more than proved herself capable of doing a job.

She herself has used what she has (both inside and outside of the car) to get where she is today and good luck to her. I just hope we never have to see Jenson Button sprawled over the bonnet of a sports car in his tighty whiteys.

:sick:

First Nascar race I've ever watched and it wasn't that exciting TBH. They were talking about these being new cars which could expain teething problems. I was just watching two lines of cars edging to and from each other with occasional pile-ups.

tooncheese......A couple things to remember which might help you appreciate NASCAR at Daytona and Talladega if you decide to watch another one in the future. They're 200 lap events but the race proper doesn't start until lap 180. Even then the real action takes place on the last lap. How many other forms of motorsport do you know of where the last lap contains a lead pack of 12 or 15 cars, all within a second of the lead car with any one of them capable of taking the win, depending on how well they use the draft on that last lap dash to the flag. There are none. You'll never see a spectacle like that in any other form of motorsport, certainly not in F1, and I'm a F1 fanatic. Enjoy each form of motorsport for what it is and realize the more you understand it the more you get out of it. Thats true of all sport. Try telling an American how fantastic Test Cricket is. They'll be back home with a burger and coke before first innings has played out. :)

But you could argue, what's the point in watching 200 laps worth for only 2-5 laps worth of proper action?

I can watch any type of motor racing, but I find this sentence flawed a little:

How many other forms of motorsport do you know of where the last lap contains a lead pack of 12 or 15 cars, all within a second of the lead car with any one of them capable of taking the win, depending on how well they use the draft on that last lap dash to the flag. There are none.

But you could argue, what's the point in watching 200 laps worth for only 2-5 laps worth of proper action?
Yes you could argue this Slyboogy and many do, but I would go back to my comment that the more you understand a sport, the more you get out of it, and I would also suggest that most that believe that, simply don't see much appeal in watching cars turning left all the time. Oval track racing like all races run over a significant distance are full of tactical moves that start from lap one and play out through the numerous pit stops as the race develops. There's also the race within a race created by the 'lucky dog' rule. Purists disagree with the implementation of this rule but it does create a second race between the cars that have gone a lap down. In essence it means the lead car of those that are a lap down gains a free pass when a caution comes out enabling them to get back on the lead lap. Sometimes it seems fair, other times not so, but it does create a separate race among those drivers who, sometimes through no fault of there own, find themselves a lap down but are given the opportunity racing to become the 'lucky dog' and get themselves back in contention for a place, maybe even the win. That has happened.
If we're honest, F1's no different. No one is racing for the flag from the time the lights go green. From the beginning of the race and especially through the middle stint tactics are played out to try to set a driver up for the win after the last pit stops. The fact that they turn right as well as left and use their gears adds interest for most understandably, but the racing is never anywhere near as close as the American ovals. As I say, enjoy each for their differences. :thumbsup:

Kewee, is drivers wrecking other drivers on purpose a regular occurrence? Because I read about it quite a lot and can't understand why it's allowed/accepted.

Josh......That's a surprisingly difficult question to answer. On the Super Speedways, Daytona and Talladega intentionally wreaking is not the norm and can carry severe penalties. They've tried to outlaw bump drafting but it's impossible to prevent though drivers do try to avoid contact on the turns which is also near impossible. Imagine for a moment 30, sometimes 40 cars two and occasionally three abreast, if the track conditions allow it, only separated bumper to bumper by one or two inches, traveling at 200mph. That is no exaggeration. Now a car near the front of the pack feels the rear of his car get a little loose on the banked turn and has to back off just a fraction. The car directly behind him can't avoid a gentle touch and all hell breaks loose. You now have a car doing a slow spin, scrubbing off speed but still doing probably 180mph and the following pack still traveling at 200mph bumper to bumper have nowhere to go. They can't apportion blame and they don't. It's a credit to the skill of these drivers that they can survive a 500 mile race with only one or two major pile-ups. It used to be much rougher. True story!!! Dale Earnheart a number of years ago got a run on about four or five cars at either Talladega or Daytona, I can't remember which. After nudging his way past four or five cars he piled into Richard Petty. Caused a huge stink. When he was asked about it later he said with a cheeky grin, "I didn't mean to take Richard out he was just in the way when I got there". ROFL. That was at 200mph on a Super Speedway!!!! On the small half mile ovals its quite different. Barging your way to the front, looking for payback if a driver feels he's been turned around intentionally is the norm and accepted as a part of short track racing. Lots of wrecking, sometimes intentional.
A few interesting points. In F1 you have the one move rule, in other words your allowed to make one block. In IRL blocking is totally outlawed. Even if you try a half block you'll be black flagged. In NASCAR blocking is completely legal and happens all the time. It was what trigged that terrible accident we've just seen in the Nationwide race at Daytona. In open wheel racing when lives at at far greater risk I'm against blocking. I personally believe it should be banned in F1 also. If you weren't allowed to block in F1 there would be far more overtaking without the need for DRS. Just my opinion for what it's worth. Hope this helps Josh. :)

Thanks :) I still don't understand why they accept the intentional wrecking of someone but at least now I understand why there are so many crashes.

Food for though Josh. Imagine 40 of those cars racing at Bristol, a half mile oval. The tracks so small they have two pit straights. Not enough room to pit them all on the same straight. On a track so small barging is the only way past if you want to try and win which is the whole intention, so crashes become inevitable which is why it's accepted. Google Bristol Motor Speedway Josh and have a look at it. Seats 180,000, Stunning, but to be honest i'm not a fan of the short tracks but Bristol and the surrounding countryside is truly beautiful. :cheers:

This is slightly off topic, but...

... before I posted this, the Forum List had this on it.
screen_shot.JPG

Lucky boy! LOL

Back
Top Bottom