Damp squib

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
The race started off well, there was plenty of overtaking and it was shaping up to be a great battle between Button, Glock and Trulli.
Just a shame the weather had to go and spoil it

Hopefully this will be the last time we see races timed to suit European audiences and sponsors as it clearly achieved the opposite effect to that which was intended.

On a more positive note, Jenson achieved his first fastest lap.
Check the Database for his updated stat's - select the Drivers main tab for race wins, poles, entries, etc.

I was really enjoying the race until the rain ruined it !

If they'd started earlier it would have been fine. Of course, it's difficult to judge the weather, especially when it's very usual for it to rain in the late afternoon like it does at Sepang! :givemestrength:

Fingers crossed for a full race in China....

It was an excellent race but everyone knew that if it was going to rain then it was going to be torrential and the whole thing would be red flagged. Bernie and the organisers dropped the ball by scheduling the race at the monsoon prime time. :givemestrength:

Anyway, enough of that. What on earth were Ferrari playing at putting Kimi on full wets that early!? It wasn't a gamble - it was plain stupid as the track was bone dry and in the time he was out on the wets while it was dry he could have made 2 or 3 (maybe even more) stops (I would usually be happy with this but I have Kimi in my Fantasy Team >:( ). Brilliant call by Toyota and Glock to put him on inters as it was a gamble but it was an educated one. Jenson's times at the end of his first stint were excellent, got him out in front and he had a pit stop in hand which effectively won him the race. Mention also has to go to Quick Nick who only made one stop while others around him made 3 or 4 but perhaps fortunate to get second as to the timing of the race stopping as he started to lose grip (or pitting) and would have started to drop back through the field. And does anyone else feel that Nico has been the unluckiest driver so far this year - looking good for 4th and maybe a podium in Australia when his tyres pretty much died and then today where after leading for the first few laps he somehow found himself down in 6th when the race was stopped.

Hopefully China can produce another great race.

bro

"Hopefully this will be the last time we see races timed to suit European audiences and sponsors as it clearly achieved the opposite effect to that which was intended."

i don't think i would have seen the race if it hadn't been at the 'normal' time. cos if it would have been at the usual time i would be fast asleep in bed! so i am fine with the time when the race was shown. plus rain has been known to happen at all times of the day.

In terms of weather perhaps but everyone was complaining of poor light.

Mark my words, the race will be moved back an hour or 2 for next year.

Unfortunately it was yet another triumph of Bernies greed over practicality. Don't lose sight of the fact that as a dictator he's the one that ensured the race started to suit European TV audiences, despite the fact that he's desperate to get shot of as many European rounds on the old traditional circuits as possible. Serves the old bugger right I say.

Still, was laughing like a drain throughout most of the rain affected part of the race and hats off to the BBC commentary team who at least made a decent fist of keeping us informed of what was going on, despite being struck by lightning a couple of times!

Just need to wait for a couple of days now to see what result the organisers want.

veravista said:
Just need to wait for a couple of days now to see what result the organisers want.
Yeah, after the results have gone through the FIA Filter* LOL

* A CTA gav1ndav1d trademark (patent pending)

ah of course. light is another thing. but i am not sure if this was an issue with overcast skies, the sun setting or maybe both.

Hey I dont think It was a damb Squib for 30odd laps had some great racing, And what about that Hamilton/Webber battle, how many times did they overtake each other, Kers may of had sumat to do with that but who cares that was pure entertainment.

So what if it was cut short, that a perfet case of quality not quanitity

This Championship is starting to look very boring, because Jenson Button is so damn good in this car, this year. Second, predictably, went to Nick Heidfeld in the wet, if this guy ever wins a Grand Prix it will be in the rain, he's podiumed in so many wet races! BMW just don't panic when others try to be clever, and it works! Someone else always seems to be faster than them, but what the hell?

Big praise to my DotD TIMO GLOCK, who was brave enough to drive against what the weather was doing, not what the smartarses expected it to do. The fact that everyone switched to inters just as the wet window opened was clear idiocy on their parts!

• Japan 2007 - putting inters on as race starts behind saftey car
  • Monaco 2008 - pitting Massa one lap after Kubica, hence losing place trying to second-guess weather
  • Britain 2008 - Raikkonen keeps knackered tyres at first pit-stop
  • Malaysia 2009 - Dry track, extreme wet tyres!

Ferrari's hall of wet weather shame grows!

And good luck to those of you who don't like non-whole numbers - Trulli, Rosberg and Webber's figures will confound you all year...!

I don't see why the race times have to be altered to suit the europeans, :( as any true fan will tell you, they'll always be up at silly o'clock if that's what time they have to be up for the start of the race

buxted-plump said:
I don't see why the race times have to be altered to suit the europeans, :( as any true fan will tell you, they'll always be up at silly o'clock if that's what time they have to be up for the start of the race

Another point buxted does it really suit European?? The Aussie race was still very early and Malaysia less so but still at 9'o clock would of it seen the increase of viewers that Bernie expected I don't see it myself.

Personally i have no problem with Dusk Races drivers should stop moaning and get on with it, Malaysia's problem was rain more then anything else. It just seems a rather pointless move by Bernie. Perhaps a comprise for night races which i know the oraniser of the Austraillia GP (cant rember his name) was dead against a night race at Melbourne although i dunno about Malaysia

If Australia can be at 6am, then Malaysia can be at 6am. Problem solved. Now where's Bernie's salary for me to buy a new house with?

Back
Top Bottom