Cycling

The new cassette was a much tougher workout on some of the steeper climbs today.

Looking forward to trying it out on the flat.

Oh and I made some wooden pedals 😁

Message_1596313560026.jpg

I only have 1 bike so I use this for everything - rides, getting the mail, going to the pool, etc.

I don't want to wear my cycling shoes and cleats for the post/pool so I just clip these in and I can cycle in my flip flops.

I unclip them if I go for a ride.

I just read the first post in this thread.
Things have changed slightly:
C8086FC3-8BC3-40D5-BB62-7264CE01DC14.jpeg

This one is worth more than the one I referred to in the original post!

gethinceri barely uses the brakes anyway Brogan !! I have a disc brake bike and a rim brake bike, and not had an issue with either. Took the rim brake bike to Italy, and no issues on the descents, and I am a coward going downhill!!

From what I've read, rim brakes are better for long, sustained braking as the rims are able to dissipate the heat better than small discs (which have been known to fail due to the heat build up).

There are of course other advantages and disadvantages for both systems.

And with a bit of my own cycling news, I was just under 29 km/h average on my latest ride.

The new cassette is definitely an improvement on flatter terrain as I have more available gears and better overlap.

It was a ****ing nightmare on the 8%-10% grades on the park ride though :D

Going back to Brogan's post with the wooden pedals, wouldn't toe straps be a better option? Not quite as effective as cleats but you can at least wear trainers with them.

Toe straps are a sort of half way house and nowhere near as good as cleats FB

You can get what are called "campus" pedals which have clips for cleats on one side and platforms on the other, but they're a compromise I didn't want to make.

I can clip my home made platforms in and out in a second so it's a good solution for me.

On an unrelated note, I just got caught in one of the typical torrential thunderstorms here - about 20 minutes from home.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that my feet were fully submerged in water in some of the more severely flooded areas - it was almost up to the wheel hub in places.

I now have a very dirty, gritty, sandy bike which is going to need a complete strip down and rebuild tomorrow - it's not sounding good at all.

Well that's my cycling over for a while.

Rear wheel was not sounding good so stripped it down and there as no grease at all and the bearings and races are ****ed.

I need a new wheel and bearings and parts are in short supply over here, not to mention expensive.

I got the bearings no problem, but the hub is basically past saving due to the pitting on the cups/races.

I'll put the new bearings and grease in and ride it until it dies, then get a new wheel.

Sealed hub this time.

Could also go for those but it's still going to need a new wheel.

Just reassembled with new bearings and grease and it's not freewheeling properly.
It's catching at several places each revolution.

Arse!

Finding a replacement wheel/wheelset is proving a lot harder than it should be.

They don't sell the wheel the bike came with so it's either going to be a mismatched pair, or a new set.

The cheapest set I can find which have 6 bolt brake disc mounting and sealed bearings is more than I paid for the whole bike πŸ€ͺ

Back
Top Bottom