CTAs Most Underrated F1 driver of all time: Nominations

How about David Coulthard? He seems to get a lot of, perhaps light hearted, criticism about his driving but he won 13 races. He didn't have that extra something that Hakkinen and Raikkonen had but he was still a good driver.

I think it's very difficult to form a proper judgement when it comes to drivers the majority of us are too young to have witnessed in action. Time has a way of keeping statistics untouched but erasing context. A lot of the 50's and 60's drivers mentioned above like Dan Gurney or Chris Amon were certainly not underestimated in their active years as racers. Amon was universally acknowledged as a prodigiously fast driver but he might be viewed today as "underestimated" by those who like myself never actually saw him race and because that's what statistics point to. Whereas "somewhat forgotten by the majority" might be appropriate a term.

It was a totally different era with far fewer races, much shorter careers and even career-ending injuries and fatalities. You could even be considered the fastest driver on the grid without having ever won a Grand Prix. But obviously the book of statistics don't show that.

So I think with time perceptions get distorted through generations as to how drivers are evaluated.

At least Fisi got to drive some truly fast machines. Something many of the drivers on the preceding pages did not.

If he had been able to finish the deal at Spa 09 and give FI a win, then he would have been remembered forever. He probably wouldn't have gotten that Ferrari contract though.....:whistle:

Jarno Trulli. Capable of blinding brilliance at times, particularly in qualifying. Very much held his own against Fernando Alonso just before the latter's career went stratospheric, and was the only other winner in the spring/summer of 2004.

He was brilliant in 2005 for Toyota at the start of the season - took 3 podiums in the first 5 races. He finished 2 points behind Ralf in the Championship. He was on pole at Indianapolis... if there was one real victim of that whole farce it was Jarno.

And so it was he's been more defined by his poor almost post-career at Caterham rather than what he achieved at the start, yet another one with the tendency to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Well, there are certainly some differing opinions here - so here's mine! Eddie Irvine.
More than held his own against Rubens at Jordan, when they had one full season together and he was considered the #2.
At Ferrari, only got to 'go for it' in 99 after Schumi's accident and could have won the WDC, imo, if Schumi had kept out.

As an aside, I propose that no British English driver can possible be entered in this contest due to the national obsession of flipping between completely writing off and lauding with the highest praise any sportsman/woman unlucky enough to represent the country.

The names Paula Radcliffe, Frank Bruno, Tim Henman and Wayne Rooney are just a few -
- along with Damon Hill, as testified to in the comments above. :givemestrength:

After much thought and trying to stick with the intent of the OP, three drivers spring to mind, Gerhard Berger, Roberto Moreno and Michele Alboreto.

Berger and Alboreto languished in the Ferrari during their dismal reliability era, usually scoring points when they finished by but consistently retiring with tech' problems or crashing because the car wasn't as fast as they tried push it. Their timing with regard to driving for other teams didn't help either as they either didn't seem to make it into cars ready (or capable) to win championships or were past their peak if they did.

Roberto Moreno will get my vote for the most underated though because he languished in low rent F1 teams right through his peak years. He did well in other formulas before F1 and was a stunning driver to watch in US series but his appearances were patchy. His F1 career used him up and his potential was never exploited by a decent team when he was in his prime.

Il_leone are you really playing the 'it was the car' card with Piquet with 3 world titles? Come on. Massively naive how ever much you don't like him. I know all the facts and arguments but there was a great deal of talent in there too. Guess the fact you disagree with me proves he's under rated!

RasputinLives

I am surprised you have named him in this category but probably had more to do with his attitude

I don't think his name would have been casted as underrated driver. The way he handled Mansell and then ran off to Lotus for money and then decided to label Senna with some disparaging comments probably dropped him down a lot

I'll give him credit in realising he did not have Mansell's speed in 1987 and drove a canny championship to secure the title after his crash at Imola

The superior equipment was referred to in a book I have to describe his reputation. He was basically the one man team at Brabham with some very inferior drivers in the other car although Patrese did beat him in 82 although he was testing at BMW turbo compared to Ford Cosworth Patrese had.

Jean Alesi at Suzuka 1995 jumped the start, had a 10 second stop/go. He then decides to pit for dries when it looked too early, nearly crashes when Lamy forces him off. Then he was lapping 5-6 secs a lap (!) faster than Schumacher and is only 4-5 sec back from him when Schumacher changes tyres. Then is right on him and blows up. Couldn't be a better example of his talents in a bad car.

Meanwhile Damon Hill in the car Alesi could have and should have been driving spins off by himself.

Mephistopheles

Probably did not get the credit he deserved but he lacked consistency and probably Jerez 97 things started to go against him at Mclaren... he could have had 3 wins to 0 wins against Hakkinen

Ukyo Katayama. The results listings in the history books won't reflect how impressive his 1994 season was.

TBY

I think it was the creation of the infamous "Trulli trains" that proved his undoing in the minds of people, as it clearly showed that he was VASTLY better at qualifying than at racing.

Only one - Jean Pierre Jarier. Led numerous laps in Grands Prix without winning (third place behind Chris Amon and Jean Behra), every time he had a car to match his talent he did something special - pole in the first two races of 1975, pummeling the filed in Canada 1978 but had more bad luck than a man head butting a mirror whilst walking under a ladder being circled by black cats. Kept going until 1983 and could/should have won at Long Beach that year. Very thoughtful driver, immensely talented, deserved more.

teabagyokel

Damon Hill was not unpopular he was labelled slow and never given the credit he deserved it was either he was not good enough if he did not win and if he did it was because he had a superior car

Back
Top Bottom