Cricket Cricket - 2011 season and other banter

Sarinaide

Banned
Any leather and willow fans aboard?

Must say it is a rather dull period in world cricket with no marquee series being played. Looking forward to the England vs India series, which I have tipped and hope England win for numerous reasons.

From our perspective September the Aussie bandwagon arrives on our shores where we will look to correct the statistics of not winning a home series vs Australia.

I have thoroughly enjoyed reliving "Botham's Ashes" on ESPN classic this weekend - I remember the final day at Headingley quite well, having sat glued to our tiny colour TV as a kid watching Bob Willis decimate the old enemy.

I grew up in Taunton, and used to go to watch Botham, Viv Richards & Joel Garner playing for Somerset at the County Ground with my Dad. Splendid Summers, they were...:) (for want of a "wistful nostalgia" smiley...)

Sadly I missed and would have anyways missed the golden age of South African cricket, I have only seen Peter and Graeme play invitationals and provincial games, similarly with Richards and Proctor.

Curiously enough, I remember a batting competition between Viv Richards & John (I think?) Richards at Taunton - mostly because it was a sell out, and my Dad & I were sat just inside the boundary rope leaning against the wall - Viv Richards almost neutered my Dad with a particularly blistering four, that he just avoided (spilt his pint though...):o

How do you like the new multi-coloured cricket uniforms? To me cricket isn't cricket unless whites are worn. I'm all for change but it does't work with cricket if I'm honest...

Curiously enough, I remember a batting competition between Viv Richards & John (I think?) Richards at Taunton - mostly because it was a sell out, and my Dad & I were sat just inside the boundary rope leaning against the wall - Viv Richards almost neutered my Dad with a particularly blistering four, that he just avoided (spilt his pint though...):o

Viv was something else, no batsmen in the game maybe bar Sobers had that kind of "I will get you" approach to his batting, baring in mind he did not have visors or rib cage protectors etc etc, and faced hostile bowlers like Lillee and Thompson, in an era where Fast bowling was essentially trying to hurt the opposition players. Sehwag and the pretenders to be have it easy with flat pitches and protection......cricket has become sissy.

I love cricket, but I was getting annoyed by Australia being so dominant, and the fall of the West Indies. Seeing a team like West Indies fall is like for an F1 Williams fan seeing Williams from being at the top and dominatiing to nowhere now really.

I love watching Pakistan and West Indies play, not so much West Indies these days as you know it's going to be a shocker.

My favourite current player is Chris Gayle, you seen the size of this guy? You wouldn't want to mess with him, anyway this man is sheer class when he pulls it off, here is a clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxDiU2tOGno

I am a bit disappoiinted there is no 20/20 World Cup this year...I am also disappointed on what happened to the 3 Pakistani players, Mohammed Aamer promising talent, yes they cheated but it was only 3 no balls, not as if they rigged the game to loss, if they did then I would like the bans to be proposed, I remember the England players doing something just as bad recently and nothing happened to them...

I don't watch county cricket, only international games, I enjoy watching four particular teams Ireland (never give up), New Zealand (always pull out a result with a team that doesn't have top players), Pakistan (inconsistent yet produce their best under pressure) and West Indies (well you just got to love them)

Oops...I thought this thread was just "Cricket", now I see it's either changed to "Cricket - 2011 season and other banter" or I just misread.

Feel free to delete my post :embarrassed:

I'm not hugely keen on the multicoloured pyjamas for 1-dayers, but then again, I'm a test-cricket man anyway. I'm definitely with Boycs on that one...

Back
Top Bottom