Cricket Cricket - 2011 season and other banter

Tis cricket, you get the bad ones now an then but it cannot be a reason for losing.

Innings scores - Test Series (Red denotes England, Blue denotes India, Italics denote declaration)

474 286 269 261
221 288 544 158
224 710 244
591 300 283

So, save for the first Innings at Trent Bridge, any England innings of the series was better than every India innings of the season, or declared. They took 10 wickets twice, both times at Trent Bridge.

With that record they could never win.

Innings scores - Test Series (Red denotes England, Blue denotes India, Italics denote declaration)

474 286 269 261
221 288 544 158
224 710 244
591 300 283

So, save for the first Innings at Trent Bridge, any England innings of the series was better than every India innings of the season, or declared. They took 10 wickets twice, both times at Trent Bridge.

With that record they could never win.

Yeah England scored more runs and batted half the amount of innings, only chuck norris can win against those odds.

Twenty20 finals day this weekend, Lancashire v Leicestershire and Hampshire v Somerset the semi finals. Lancashire v Somerset the final I reckon (and hope)

Anyone watch the Pakistan vs Sri Lanka 4th ODI?

It was a stunner! Pakistan looked to be goners with 106-6 on the board with one batsman left, got the score to a respectable 200.

Sri Lanka where cruising with 154-3 on the board and lost 6 wickets just for 19 runs!!!

Great victory that was for Pakistan! Not seen anything like it in recent years! I enjoy watching these two teams play against each other, always get cracking games!

If anyone is interested, the T20 is on Friday on Eurosport on Sky.

Anyone watch the Pakistan vs Sri Lanka 4th ODI?

It was a stunner! Pakistan looked to be goners with 106-6 on the board with one batsman left, got the score to a respectable 200.

Sri Lanka where cruising with 154-3 on the board and lost 6 wickets just for 19 runs!!!

Great victory that was for Pakistan! Not seen anything like it in recent years! I enjoy watching these two teams play against each other, always get cracking games!

If anyone is interested, the T20 is on Friday on Eurosport on Sky.

I BET that a few people in the Far East enjoyed this game a great deal in fact I'd give you GOOD ODDS that if anyone had a BET on this game they may have made a quid or two.

:D

Last Saturday afternoon I decided to go for a walk in the park. There was a cricket match on, the away team had just been bowled out for 90, the fielders had just come back on the field so I decided to watch.

The first ball was a full toss, it went over the stumps. The second was well short and offline. The third and fourth were not a good line or length but the batsman could no get it past the fielders. He managed two runs the next ball with the final ball being close to a wide.

I have never before seen anything quite like the second over. The bowler, on a short run up, sort of paused as he got to the wickes and sent down an almost round arm delivery. It cleared the stumps by nearly a foot, the line was poor as well. The second was really short giving an easy two. I saw this bowler through three overs, he had somehow contrived to get two wicket, both catches from mishits. He had bowled five of his full tosses. He had bowled down the leg side to a left hander, the line and length was totally erratic, one ball landed short of the halfway point of the pitch; it was despatched over the square leg boundary for six.

The first bowler actually get one straight and on a length in his third over, clean bowling the batsman. Talking of the batsman (which I am reluctant to do), apart from the left hander they all had one stroke, the crossbat swipe. Despite the terrible bowling they somehow managed to get out; I abandoned the match after six overs when the home team were sixteen for three with fifty-four overs left.

I reckon that our final year primary school team would have beaten either of these, based on what I saw, quite comfortably. What on earth has happened to the game.

Conversely, I caught a bit of a school match while out for a walk the other night - the lads (& a couple of lasses) playing were around 12-14yrs old, and I saw some lovely tight bowling, and some even better timing of the ball by a batsman who couldn't have been taller than 4'. They were well-supported by friends & relatives, and the bar seemed to be doing quite a trade. I saw one wicket during the 20mins I was watching, and that was when the batsman was deceived by a slower ball, which he looped back to the bowler - a very well-deserved wicket, considering that he'd just been glided beautifully for a boundary. I'd love to have stayed for the rest of the innings, but Mrs Bones wanted to finish the walk.

My experience is that it is often easier to play a good looking shot when the bowling is straight and predictable. Often when facing a pie-chucker, it is impossible to play a proper shot and you get caught by surprise when one is actually straight!:facepalm:

Yep haha. A lot of the wickets that fall in our matches are usually to full tosses.

Although, I bowl wicket to wicket and it's not fared too bad.

Back
Top Bottom