Columns, Articles, and Thoughts from afar concerning the IRL

Perhaps ROB's and Mo Hamilton's 'take' on Lewis's 'statement' was a tad harsh

Can I just point out that it was RoB's assumption that Mo Hamilton's article was in reference to the commments made by Lewis Hamilton. At no point is Lewis Hamilton's name mentioned in the original article.

Lewis Hamilton is a British racing driver, it is only natural that in the hours after the death of Dan Wheldon he would have been asked by the worlds press on his thoughts about Dan Wheldon's death. It also follows that he would post something on his twitter account about the death of a fellow British racing driver.

I think with the national media's focus on British Motorsport that Hamilton (he is after all a public face of British Motorsport, especially to the general public) felt he must have to say something. I know Button and Webber have posted messages about Wheldon but they're relationships are different - they both knew him personally.

From what I am aware Lewis Hamilton didn't know Dan Wheldon personally, but it doesn't stop his message being any less sincere. It might have been especially pertinent for Hamilton as there has been some speculation about a possible future in IndyCar and I'm sure he was aware of Wheldon's achievements. I also don't believe it infringes on Wheldon's family's privacy, if anything it could be the smallest of comforts for them at this difficult time.

I posted a RIP message on my Facebook account, I didn't know the guy nor probably would ever have done. But it didn't stop me feeling genuinely saddened by his death and it didn't make my message any less sincere.

One final thing for people to consider regarding Hamilton's message...If he had said nothing what would people have said? I'm pleased he made his feelings known. I just think some people are jumping too quickly to the wrong conclusions.

Jean Alesi is thinking about running in next year's Indy 500. Although the Indy track may not be as dangerous for IRL cars as Las Vegas, but after Weldon's tragic accident, I hope that Alesi may reconsider racing their, or participate in any other oval racing, in open wheeled cars.

Tragedies such as this, and the subsequent outpouring of grief and outrage always raise the same question in my mind. Why is it that we, as a species/society (and I am as guilty as anyone else) get so upset when someone in one particular hazardous profession, who is extremely well paid for their participation, dies in the performance of their job, yet we never express either grief or outrage when someone in an equally or more dangerous (and vastly poorer paying) job, such as firefighter or police officer, dies in the line of duty? It can rather persuasively be argued that the latter professions are vastly more important to society, so why does the former command our attention far more? Is it the fame factor? I can think of no other reason for this dual standard.

Tragedies such as this, and the subsequent outpouring of grief and outrage always raise the same question in my mind. Why is it that we, as a species/society (and I am as guilty as anyone else) get so upset when someone in one particular hazardous profession, who is extremely well paid for their participation, dies in the performance of their job, yet we never express either grief or outrage when someone in an equally or more dangerous (and vastly poorer paying) job, such as firefighter or police officer, dies in the line of duty? It can rather persuasively be argued that the latter professions are vastly more important to society, so why does the former command our attention far more? Is it the fame factor? I can think of no other reason for this dual standard.

As sad as it is, and as much as I appreciate what you just mentioned, I think it is as simple as that:

Are the performances of the firemen/police officers broadcast live on TV week in week out from various camera angles? Do the media report about their achievements almost every day? Do you know any firemen/police officer who is in any way a widely known person?
How can you mourn the death of a person you didn't even know they existed?

So, should we all strive for celebrity or be happy that someone, somewhere will mourn our passing. I have always been moved by reports of the dead who have no-one - those found dead after days, weeks, months - that is truly shocking because no-one gave a stuff about them in life.

Once I was working in a home for old people. In some cases when they died, no one apart from me and an official from the institution attended the funeral. That was absolutely shocking, even more so when you knew that there were relatives, that simply did not care...

I don't think it does make a big difference if you are a celebrity or not. When you aren't there will only be a few people really affected by your death...when you are a celebrity then there will only be a few people really affected by your death as well and millions more saying stuff like "RIP" or "We will miss him" but in no way is any one of us as affected by the death of a celebrity (like Dan Wheldon) in a way we would be by the death of a close friend or relative...

... and that is the crux of the issue. Those of us who follow the lives of the people in the public eye come to know them. The deeper, or more fanatical, our following of them the more we will be affected. I think that generally speaking that gets reflected in the way in which different people express their sense of loss. A simple expression of sympathy for the family of someone whose exploits one is familiar with should not be undervalued. it should be understood in context.

Were we to mourn deeply for every single loss of human life we would be indescribably sad and morose. I'm not even sure such a condition would be sustainable since one would find life itself totally unbearable and it isn't unknown for some to commit suicide as a result of their grief.

All I'm trying to say is that, personally, I respect anyone who feels the need to express their sadness at the loss of a public figure who will have played some part in their lives. It's just a question of degree.

Fenderman, I did not want to be disrespective to those who would feel saddened by the loss of a celebrity. I don't know what I would have felt if MSC would have died in that Abu Dhabi crash last year...

Fenderman, I did not want to be disrespective to those who would feel saddened by the loss of a celebrity. I don't know what I would have felt if MSC would have died in that Abu Dhabi crash last year...
Hey, GermanF1, perhaps you misread my post! I support what you said and was trying to answer Siffert-Fan's question with regard to it being some sort of double standard. I think your possible reaction to what might have happened to Michael is a perfect illustration of the point. After all, we don't have to meet someone in person to form an attachment.

Back
Top Bottom