FIA Clamping down on radio communication relating to Driver performance

I disagree I saw a piece where Rosberg was explaining what button did what on his steering wheel and he seemed to know all there was to know about it even the sub menus...

That he knows what exactly the button does, doesn't mean he knows all the time what the right setting is.
As Massa said:
But there are so many things in the car that we are doing that if you don't do them maybe there will be too much temperature in the rear brakes because the battery gets too high and then you have a fire in the car.
(..)
If you are not using the right settings then you can forget it, you will not do two laps. That is something that is not related to the driver but to the complicated system that we have.
My feeling is that penultimate sentence is a bit of an exageration. But I expect this new rule will lead to more DNFs.

A want to be world champion should know every inch of his car. It's those sort of details that seperated the very quick such as Ronnie Peterson, Gilles Villeneuve and Jean Alesi from the very best as Prost, Senna, Schumacher and Vettel

Wombat

Them why not go all the way and do away with the driver completely by making the car remotely piloted? I guarantee that the action would be more worth watching than today's is because the speeds could go up exponentially without having to worry about keeping the driver safe.

Why have a race driver? Just get any kid and one of these. Jann Mardenbrough could be the future of racing.

gz701016_Thrustmaster_Ferrari_F1_Wheel_Intergral_T500_PC_PS3_2.jpg

Another thing, I want more DNFs! I have fond memories of watching F1 in the 80s and keeping everything crossed that Senna's car wouldn't let go before the end of the race or having a little smile that the Zakspeed or the Osella had snuck a point because they finally managed to go a full race distance without blowing up.

What fun is it knowing that almost every car will finish so any late drama has been taken away. I can't find anything to celebrate about the fact that Max Chilton has brought the car home in one piece for the umpteenth time all be it 7 hours and 16 days behind the rest of the field.

Some of the arguments being made are verging on the ridiculous.

Expecting an F1 driver to drive the car without any engineering input is no different to expecting a Eurofighter pilot to fly the plane without the computer.

Don't blame the driver.
They, and we. didn't ask for F1 to become what it has.

There is Parc Ferme which stops the teams from adjusting the aero and suspension from the beginning of Q1 why not make the teams choose an engine setting from the start of Q1 and the driver has to live with it for qualie and the race?

Because the cars are designed to be changed.

I agree that if this change is to be implemented, it should be done allowing sufficient time to allow the teams to make the necessary changes to the cars. If that is simply allow a fuel gauge, then that's fine, and the teams have sufficient time to adapt.

Another half-baked complete **** up by the FIA, as usual.

Surely an absolutely baked to perfection **** up...

To be honest though, I will assume that wheels have been set in motion for a reason, which had little to do with the reasons which we have been given, I mean, these kind of things have been going on for as long as I can recall, why stop now in the middle of the season?

Surely an absolutely baked to perfection **** up...
Indeed.

Your comment above is very salient The Pits.

No longer will drivers be told how much fuel they are using yet they don't have a fuel gauge.
I challenge anyone to cover their fuel gauge, fill the tank with exactly the right amount of fuel they think they need to "drive it like they stole it" and then don't run out.

Oh and also remove any temperature and warning lights so you have no idea if the engine or brakes, etc. are overheating.

Ludicrous.

I agree but there's nothing to say they can't have a fuel gauge. it just fell out of fashion when fuel use wasn't a problem at the end of the last turbo era. They've got indications that tell them if they are up or down in qually in sectors but no fuel gauge. How daft is that?

Expecting an F1 driver to drive the car without any engineering input is no different to expecting a Eurofighter pilot to fly the plane without the computer.
For one thing that is a massive exaggeration the eurofighter would fall out of the sky without the computer flying it and there is no bloke back in the tower telling the pilot how to fly the plane, saying things like bank left now or pull back on the stick in ten seconds, an F1 car would not fall off the track if the race engineer didn't say to the driver your teammate is braking 3 metres later than you in turn 3, and for another I personally have not said that a driver cannot have any engineering input I have simply said time and again that he should not be telling the driver how to drive such as telling them which line to take into corners and such if the engineer knows how to drive the car better than the driver maybe Rob Smedley should get in the car and do the job, and I wouldn't take anything Massa says to mean much, that bloke needs to be told how to put his shoes on of a morning ..

Last edited:
Once again I get the impression that a lot of people on here seemingly want to watch a spec series of level machinary and not F1. Its interesting though that actual spec series don't seem to be very popular.

Of course the sport needs pit to car radio and of course they should be allowed to pass on information regarding fuel and car settings. The idea of setting up a car at the start and saying 'go' to a driver just not realistic in F1.

Do I like fact that drivers are being told how to find better lines through corners and how their team mates are doing it? No I don't and I firm word of 'no more of that please' was needed.

However as usually the FIA have completely over reacted mid season, spurred on by media reaction, and delievered a big not thought out ruling that has gone far further than it needed too and will gradually over the next weeks/month have to embarrassingly back down on nearly 80% of what they originally said making them look ineffective as usual.

Kept people talking about F1 though ain't it Bernie?

With all of the seeming importance of the race engineer to the drivers performance in the car, why not reflect reality and at least change the title from "World Driving Championship" to something like World Driving/Engineering Combination Championship?

Back
Top Bottom