FIA Clamping down on radio communication relating to Driver performance

As I've already said I'm very much on the side of keeping most of these messages, but I don't see having in-car fuel information being a big issue, at least not for any of the teams using the new LCD display. They all have fuel flow monitors etc.so it's just a bit of code to stick that on the steering wheel, I imagine. In fact I'd be mildly surprised if some teams don't have the ability to do that already.

Like others have said though there are hundreds of parameters that need to be monitored, not just fuel, and it's completely unfeasible for these to all be on the steering wheel, or at least unfeasible for the drivers to be constantly flicking through tens of pages on the steering wheel display all the time to check that car isn't going to catch on fire.

Last edited:
I thought it might be, it was Bernie's idea all along!

No wonder we are now waiting for the revising of the mid season revison of the rules around Pit to car radio messgaes:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/sep/18/bernie-ecclestone-f1-radio-ban-formula-one

In case you forgot what he looks like:

m1mxh3va40u5_sqr256.jpg

This, for me, calls in to question the whole Formula. If these cars are now so complicated that it requires a team of technicians to be in constant communication with the driver just to get it round a circuit for two hours then the FIA needs to look at the systems. LMP cars are as complex as F1 cars, do they have a constant stream of directions from the pit wall telling them to turn this and tweak that?

Anyway, if this does at least stop the nonsense of advising drivers to go quicker in turn 12 or brake later at turn 6 it will be good for the sport. If a driver isn't good enough to be able to pick his braking points or work out what the limit is for his car going round a particular turn then he shouldn't be in an F1 car. Add to this the huge run off areas then they don't need to worry about getting it wrong.

Vettel - “The main difficulty is not necessarily stuff like the fuel because it’s simple to put up a certain target to follow [on the car's dash].

So they can read the fuel levels then so that's not an issue.

I see they've included a ban on both radio and pitboard relay of messages. Though I wouldn't title the list "Banned messages" but "messages with which the FIA have told teams they can't tell drivers but accept that they will find a work around solution anyway making the whole ban pointless"

So what happened in FP1 today? Hamilton asked for information on Rosberg's timing and the team did not tell him. A promising start if Mercedes are following the rules.

Maybe the rule, sorry...the enforcing of the rule is cumbersome but it does draw a squiggly line in the sand. Imagine if the FIA decided it was unenforceable and just let teams transmit whatever data they wanted. Right now we have beeps in the ears of the drivers when they can use DRS or when they should shift but tomorrow we will have heads up display inside helmets or force feedback on the steering wheel to show drivers the ideal line. I know F1 is supposed to be the technological tip of the spear but those days are over, lets get back to driver vs driver.

Right now we have beeps in the ears of the drivers when they can use DRS or when they should shift but tomorrow we will have heads up display inside helmets or force feedback on the steering wheel to show drivers the ideal line. I know F1 is supposed to be the technological tip of the spear but those days are over, lets get back to driver vs driver.
Imo the beeps are more of a driver aid than the suggestions of the engineers. It's less of a stretch to ban them under the current article, than the radiotraffic.
A heads up display which projects an ideal line would clearly be a driver aid. If we want that, we could just organize our own online tournament.

I just don't get why this is enforced in free practice. Quali and race fine, but not practice. FOM are already causing problems, playing radio messages from the garage when the driver is on track. FFS.

Would it be legal if the teams installed a TV receiver in car, so the driver could hear the messages of the other drivers which are broadcasted?

Back
Top Bottom