FIA Charlie Whiting RIP

I say all of this with the greatest respect for Charlie.

The FIA must now be in a flap looking for his replacement. He was a key figure on a race weekend. Race starter, rules maker, rule enforcer. the FIA need someone to do that role and fast. We are go for tomorrow.

They don't have time to morn or leave a respectful interval. They have the F1 circus to run.

It occurs to me that Paddy Lowe is looking for a job.

its like sala in football. when he had his tragic plane crash. you can be upset but in the back of your mind. you know there are issues that have to be dealt with. as march of time is horrible in that way

It is always sad to hear about a death, worse when it is someone who was so important to your favourite sport, even more when the person concerned is younger than yourself. Charlie was not always the most popular of people bet even when he did give judgements that we did not like we still respected him and his position.

The cars should be held on the start line on Sunday as a tribute to him.

the news of Charlie Whiting passing is worse, by the fact that its really shocked everyone unlike hypothetically Bernie (im not killing him off) we never saw it coming we were all there just waiting for the racing to begin. what a lovely guy, a guy that we all feel that knew as he been the main guy & there starting every race that people under 40 can remember & i cant imagine anyone else starting an race. huge loss to F1 & ive loved reading all the lovely stories about from everyone. really hope that Liberty / FIA / F1 will have a minute silence for him before the gp on sunday as it would be only fitting

I'm well over 40 but I can't remember who started the races before Charlie! Was it a different person ("guest"?) every time?

can i ask a potentially stupid question.

the champagne on sunday. will it be sprayed because im sure in certain circumstances they refrain out of respect. i thinking senna, 9/11. & might be wrong but i dont think they did in hungary after bianchi announcement & didnt Ferrari/kimi not after marrichone passing at italian gp

I'm well over 40 but I can't remember who started the races before Charlie! Was it a different person ("guest"?) every time?

It was a local dignity quite often. Stirling commented one time that the starter had been Louis Chiron, the real starter stood behind him and gave him a prod when it was time; Moss watched the starter instead of Chiron and got a jump on the rest of the field.

Back
Top Bottom