Changes and rule clarification after driver incidents.

Fenderman

Rooters Reporter
Has anybody collated the info' on just how many rules have been clarified, modified and invented following Lewis's censures? I also wonder if someone with time on their hands, whilst we wait for Spa, willing to create a league table as I think Schumi would be right up there in the "Change the Reg's" charts.

A few incidents spring to mind including: banning weaving to break a tow and overtaking too quickly after giving back a position gained by exiting the track (Lewis); Winning a race in pit lane and overtaking too early in last lap race restart after safety car period (Michael). There are many more incidents but I suggest it's for another thread if there is one already or perhaps a new thread entirely:thinking:.

Has anybody collated the info' on just how many rules have been clarified, modified and invented following Lewis's censures? I also wonder if someone with time on their hands, whilst we wait for Spa, willing to create a league table as I think Schumi would be right up there in the "Change the Reg's" charts.

A few incidents spring to mind including: banning weaving to break a tow and overtaking too quickly after giving back a position gained by exiting the track (Lewis); Winning a race in pit lane and overtaking too early in last lap race restart after safety car period (Michael). There are many more incidents but I suggest it's for another thread if there is one already or perhaps a new thread entirely:thinking:.

+ abolition of team orders following Schumacher and reinstatement of team orders following Alonso.

What rule was changed or clarified when Michael won the race in the pitlane? That's always been fine. Admittedly nobody else has ever tried, but still...

The rule change was that if a penalty is given in the last 3? laps of the race, then it will be a time penalty, added to the total race time - whereas before Silverstone '94 there was no hard and fast rule....

When BAR, out of the points, retired both their cars in the 2005 Australian Grand Prix so that they could have a new gearbox or engine for the next race, there was a clarification about choosing to retire your cars.

Wasn't it clarified following Silverstone 98 that a driver couldn't cross the line in the pit lane? I'm sure Brundle alluded to it during the German GP this year when Vettel and Massa had to pit to comply with the two compound rule but had to pit on the penultimate rather than last lap of the race to avoid crossing the line in the pits.

Wasn't it clarified following Silverstone 98 that a driver couldn't cross the line in the pit lane? I'm sure Brundle alluded to it during the German GP this year when Vettel and Massa had to pit to comply with the two compound rule but had to pit on the penultimate rather than last lap of the race to avoid crossing the line in the pits.

Is that not because of the requirement to run both compounds though?

Yeah that's what I meant but they couldn't change on the last lap but had to do it on the penultimate. Or do they have to run a tyre for a whole race lap?

Who was it was stopped from pushing his car across the line as it had been banned? I recall Prost pushing his McLaren home in the early 80's but wasn't Mansell dragged away from his car by the marshalls or am I confusing it with the time he collapsed in Phoenix?

Also, when were cold suits banned? I remember reading an interview with Jonny Herbert after his first race for Benetton in Brazil in 198? where he said his drink bottle failed early in the race but he turned on his "cool cap" which helped him survive in the heat. Not long after driver cooling systems were banned (Lord alone knows why).

The other moment which obvioulsy stands out is the changes in safety regs, especially regarding the design of the cockpit sides and driver position, following Senna's accident at Imola in '94.

Yeah that's what I meant but they couldn't change on the last lap but had to do it on the penultimate. Or do they have to run a tyre for a whole race lap?

Yeah, if they're just trundling it down the pit lane they're not technically running it, are they?

Interestingly, at Spa, is the pit lane closed for the last lap? Because technically, we could have the race winner running backwards down the pit lane while someone else is trying to pit!

Staying within the spirit and topic of this thread so far, was the pit lane speed limit not introduced following Senna's lap record at Donington in '93 being set on a lap with an aborted pit stop, as the pit lane actually cut Goddard's out? Just a hazy memory but it would have to have been Senna that found that out, wouldn't it!

Staying within the spirit and topic of this thread so far, was the pit lane speed limit not introduced following Senna's lap record at Donington in '93 being set on a lap with an aborted pit stop, as the pit lane actually cut Goddard's out? Just a hazy memory but it would have to have been Senna that found that out, wouldn't it!

I thought the speed limit came in with refuelling at the start of '94, but I could be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom