Changes and rule clarification after driver incidents.

Yes - the pitlane speed limit was brought in as a direct response to Alboreto's wheel at San Marino. - If you watch videos of the pitstops at that race though, it's amazing that more mechanics hadn't been injured over the years - there were hundreds of mechanics filling the pitlane in those days.... Another consequence was the rule which said that mechanics had to wait in their garage until the lap their driver was coming in....

Whatever the reason it was implemented I think it's a bloody good job it was, in light of the the last few years' rules, with multiple pit-stops having become the norm.
There has been a few incidents over the past few years, having to do with unsafe release from the teams. I'd hate to think what would have happened with the car behind coming up at full speed....

I remember a few hairy ones in the Senna-Prost years, with each driver when fighting with each other, always seemed to go through the length of the pit-lane during tyre changes at what looked like about 600 miles an hour...

I have purposely liked every single reply to this thread thus far, since it is the first thread I've read for a while that hasn't descended into moaning, bickering or circular argument! Not only that I'm learning stuff from it. Nice one chaps!:thumbsup:

Edit: Oh, and I do actually like all the replies I've just read.:)

Yes - the pitlane speed limit was brought in as a direct response to Alboreto's wheel at San Marino. - If you watch videos of the pitstops at that race though, it's amazing that more mechanics hadn't been injured over the years - there were hundreds of mechanics filling the pitlane in those days.... Another consequence was the rule which said that mechanics had to wait in their garage until the lap their driver was coming in....

Am i the only one who is stunned to find out that a pitlane speed limit only came in 1994!. I know other forms of motorsport were a bit slow on the uptake (What year did Max Papis belt full speed down the pitlane to try a last gap effort for victory in ALMS 96?).

I awalys presumed that the rule had been around since at least the 80's.

Am i the only one who is stunned to find out that a pitlane speed limit only came in 1994!.

I know! I don't remember watching races before then thinking "crikey, that's a bit quick". But I do remember the slight feeling of disappointment when the rule was introduced that put paid to the almighty burn-outs they used to pull when leaving their pit box...

Back
Top Bottom