Button needs 1 win to secure the 2011 WDC...

If Lewis refuses to move over hypothetically in the situation when ordered. This will be even worse than his refusal for not letting Alonso by in Hungary 2007 which was the catalyst for the Mclaren self destruction in 2007.

Lewis would also prove to be a worse loser than Alonso. What Ferrari did was a desperation act in order to keep themselves and Alonso in the championship fight and test the FIA who bottled it over team orders rule and Ferrari as ever threatened legal action like they always do to stir up the ante.

Lewis would basically prove everyone especially Alonso that he is not a team player and would put his own interest first over his team. The only situation where I think Mclaren may care less if it happen was if Button had signed for Ferrari for next year and therefore Mclaren would not want to see him carry No 1 at another team.

It is what Prost felt in 1989 when Mclaren protested about Senna's DQ at Suzuka.

However someone like Whitmarsh is under pressure to deliver championships for Mclaren to sponsors like Vodafone so surely Mclaren would give it their best shot even if its only a slim chance

I think that if Hamilton did that, he'd be leaving the team about ten minutes after the race had finished!

Then where would he go? Its only going to get worse elsewhere. At Ferrari Alonso is making it his team and he'll make sure the odds are in his favour in the political battles at Maranello.
At Red Bull they are loving Vettel at the moment and that is going to continue with Helmut Marko in the background always lurking
And Lewis is not going to drop down to a midfield team he has not got the patience to spend a season at Renault or WIlliams to be competitive

So him leaving Mclaren leaves him with little better options unless he wants to quit F1 because he simply refused to help the team to support his teammate's championship hopes is stupid and he is the only loser in all this

I'm not sure he'd have a choice! Since it would constitute professional misconduct I'm pretty sure they'd sack him, let's hope we never have to find out!

They won't sack him .. if he wants to leave he has to buy himself out of the contract like Alonso did . Mclaren are not stupid to pay any further compensation to him for something out of his own doing

Then where would he go? Its only going to get worse elsewhere. At Ferrari Alonso is making it his team and he'll make sure the odds are in his favour in the political battles at Maranello.
At Red Bull they are loving Vettel at the moment and that is going to continue with Helmut Marko in the background always lurking
And Lewis is not going to drop down to a midfield team he has not got the patience to spend a season at Renault or WIlliams to be competitive

So him leaving Mclaren leaves him with little better options unless he wants to quit F1 because he simply refused to help the team to support his teammate's championship hopes is stupid and he is the only loser in all this

IL. I think you're getting the wrong end of the stick. This is a fantastical hypothetical situation that Brogan has posted for a bit of fun. Nobody actually believes that Lewis would refuse to yield in that situation. Let's not get carried away.

IL. I think you're getting the wrong end of the stick. This is a fantastical hypothetical situation that Brogan has posted for a bit of fun. Nobody actually believes that Lewis would refuse to yield in that situation. Let's not get carried away.

The few times that LH has been on the end of team orders, it has led to some problems for the team - think Monaco 2007 - The team was investigated for team orders after the outrage that he wasn't allowed to win the race... Then of course, there's Hungary 2007...

Based on the past, I suspect Hamilton would move out the way, but then would moan about it endlessly in private to journalists.....

I have no concern that Lewis would be completely magnanimous about moving over in this situation. If he were to begrudge anything it would be the performances of himself, his team and the stewards that have put him in that position in the first place and he would be right to feel aggrieved on all accounts. The factor that is accountable to him would require internal reflection but on the other two accounts, the only way to improve the situation would be to apply pressure appropriately to the parties involved. This is where good management and support comes in, to ensure that the channels and outlets of this frustration are productive.

Wow!
I never expected people to use this thread as an excuse to bash Hamilton.

Still, why am I not surprised? :rolleyes:

The point of the thread was actually to highlight the hypocrisy of those who were furious with Ferrari but yet seem to think it's perfectly acceptable for McLaren.

Wow!
I never expected people to use this thread as an excuse to bash Hamilton.

Still, why am I not surprised? :rolleyes:

The point of the thread was actually to highlight the hypocrisy of those who were furious with Ferrari but yet seem to think it's perfectly acceptable for McLaren.

I was furious with Ferrari and would be furious with McLaren if the same situation arose. The situation you pose is a very different one though for many reasons. In the scenario you pose, I would find that sort of action perfectly acceptable regardless of the team. After-all, it is no different to Kimi swapping with Massa in 2007 to ensure Kimi took the title. This didn't upset me in the slightest.

I do realise it is hypothetical. Some other people believe Lewis would not budge if you read their posts

So why all the fuss last season then when Ferrari tried to help Alonso to the title?
Because, as others have already said,
a. When Ferrari did it, team orders affecting the outcome of the race were against the rules.
b. Ferrari did it too early in the season, when it was (theoretically) still possible for either of their drivers to win the title. Under your scenario for 2011, Hamilton would be unable to win the WDC himself so it would be pointless him preventing his team and his teammate from securing the title. If Ferrari had done it this way in 2010, even with team orders being banned then, I don't think the public reaction would have been anything like as negative as it was.

Because, as others have already said,
a. When Ferrari did it, team orders affecting the outcome of the race were against the rules.
b. Ferrari did it too early in the season, when it was (theoretically) still possible for either of their drivers to win the title. Under your scenario for 2011, Hamilton would be unable to win the WDC himself so it would be pointless him preventing his team and his teammate from securing the title. If Ferrari had done it this way in 2010, even with team orders being banned then, I don't think the public reaction would have been anything like as negative as it was.

Basically it was desperate act by Ferrari to stay in the title and they knew given the ambiguity of the rule it was difficult to justify any punishment other than a slap on the wrist. The odds that Ferrari being banned from Monza when the appeal happened just before was all a smokescreen..there was never a remote chance the WMSC had the balls to ban Ferrari as some people suggests. Typical Alonso response "It aint my fault(problem)" and typical Ferrari threatened legal action if they were punished

Thankfully justice was done they screwed their own race in Abu Dhabi...but yet always seems to find a scapegoat in Chris Dyer for the failure

Back
Top Bottom