Books

Got an email nudge to say that book 8 of the Safehold saga is due in October, so I've re read them all again over the last 3 weeks in anticipation. Langhorne, but it's a cracking yarn!

Just got a copy of Niki Lauda's Autobiog To Hell and Back for fifteen quid off Evil Bay.

So over me 'ols I got through Villeneuve by Gerald Donaldson, Niki Lauda's autobiog and Man of Letters which is the latest collection of Spike Milligan's letters. The Villeneuve book is brilliantly written and gives you a great insight into the man, the Lauda book is fantastic as Niki pulls no punches (especially WRT Ron Dennis) and the Milligan Letters will make you laugh and cry in equal measure.

Don't think much more reading will be going on before we move house as all the other books are packed up. :(

Good luck with the move, but you'll need a book or two to sooth you to you sleep, moving is very traumatic.
:(

Anyone read any of these?

The 2015 longlist, or Man Booker ‘Dozen’, of 13 novels, is:

Author (nationality) - Title (imprint)

Bill Clegg (US) - Did You Ever Have a Family (Jonathan Cape)

Anne Enright (Ireland) - The Green Road (Jonathan Cape)

Marlon James (Jamaica) - A Brief History of Seven Killings(Oneworld Publications)

Laila Lalami (US) - The Moor's Account (Periscope, Garnet Publishing)

Tom McCarthy (UK) - Satin Island (Jonathan Cape)

Chigozie Obioma (Nigeria) - The Fishermen (ONE, Pushkin Press)

Andrew O’Hagan (UK) - The Illuminations (Faber & Faber)

Marilynne Robinson (US) - Lila (Virago)

Anuradha Roy (India) - Sleeping on Jupiter (MacLehose Press, Quercus)

Sunjeev Sahota (UK) - The Year of the Runaways (Picador)

Anna Smaill (New Zealand) - The Chimes (Sceptre)

Anne Tyler (US) - A Spool of Blue Thread (Chatto & Windus)

Hanya Yanagihara (US) - A Little Life (Picador)

I have just finished reading "The Shock of the Fall", a first book from Nathan Filer. It is a story of the effects over many years on an unstable nine year old boy who suffered a tragic shock whilst on a family holiday. If you want a nice, comfortable read then avoid it like the plague, there are some very dark bits with a few funny one sprinkled in here and there. But if you do read it you may well find it very rewarding.

I Just Made the Tea by Di Spires. SSShe and her partner did a lot more than that during their years in hospitality in F1 and other forms of motor sport. They started with Surtees in 1978. There are two forewords, the first by Murray Walker, the second by Michael Schumacher. A good read about what else happens at the races.

Second Life the second book by S J Watson; the first was Before I Go to Sleep which was made into a film. I found myself getting quite annoyed by some of the bad choices made by the heroine; a sure sign that the author had me in his grip.

I have been consuming Pratchett's Disc World novels at a pace. In the last few months.

The wee free men
Monstrous Regiment
A hat full of sky
Going Postal
Thud
Wintersmith
Making Money

He really was a genius. Such a loss.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom