Books

If you want a great book to provide insight into how it used to be in F1 I recommend "Rob Walker" by Michael Cooper-Evans.

If you would like to read a brilliant parody of "The Lord of the Rings", I would suggest "Bored of the Rings" by the Harvard Lampoon, although a lot of the clever references in the book will be lost on you if you weren't familiar with American commercials of the 70s.

My Dad pointed me in the direction of David Weber's "Safehold" series, and I'm on book 5 already, as I can't put my Kindle down!

Imagine a re-working of the development of the Royal Navy and British industrialisation & expansion, but set against the backdrop of a religious schism and holy war, among the surviving final enclave of humanity, driven into hiding by a ruthless alien enemy...

...yes, I know it sounds complicated, but it really is quite brilliant!

Just finished One of our Own (took a while) which is the life story of Myra Hindely. Not one for the squeamish but a fascinating read and, although the writer suffered from a lack of objectivity, it is fairly clear keeping her inside until she died was the right choice. Just started on Regga, a biography of Clay Regazzoni.

I like a good travel book, one of the best IMO is... Clear Waters Rising... by Nicholas Crane.

My Dad pointed me in the direction of David Weber's "Safehold" series, and I'm on book 5 already, as I can't put my Kindle down!

I read the first 2 books and was gripped. I thought, brilliant I have found an author I like.
Book 3 was ok but the pace of the story had dropped away. Book 4 was just terrible I was skipping whole chapters of pointless dialog, recapping of old ground. Against my better judgement I'm now on book 5 and if the pace doesn't pick up I wont be reading any others.

The whole point of the series is to get mankind back to high technology so they can fight the aliens again. But book 1 was about naval battle in wooden ships armed with cannon and after 5 books its still about naval battles in wooden ships armed with cannon. At this rate we will need 200 books before the story concludes.

Such a shame as book 1 and 2 were great. Other than the unpronounceable names that is.

Last edited:
The Bridge is excellent.
Tom Holt, The Walled Garden.
Pompeii by Robert Harris.
Jonah by James Herbert when I was a teenager.
A sci-fi thing I found in Israel many years ago with the last pages missing that I only remember the title of when I'm drunk in the middle of the night!
... And Riders by Jilly Cooper for some unknown reason...

I've started on the safehold series, well I'm onto the 5th book already. Once I get my teeth into something I don't stop! Only got 6 books downloaded so far, is there any more?

Back
Top Bottom