Books

F1Yorkshire thanks for the tip - though I'm still trying to get myself to read Harris's 'Enigma'.
I'm not very good at reading novels (or watching movies) based on factual things which interest me and which take the facts off into a direction that I know never did or could have happened. (For that reason I will never ever watch "U-571" whose premise is based on an outright lie, even though it has a tiny disclaimer for a second or two that it's a work of fiction.)
That's probably why I so much enjoyed Da Vinci Code despite knowing a fair bit about the "secret societies" involved, it's so far from reality that it doesn't impinge.

As for the medium, I used to read books on paper, even the Readers Digest Condensed books years ago, though now it's on the Kindle*. I always thought they were a waste of time and money, and an affectation, but my old man (in his 80s) has just junked half a ton of books and only reads his Kindle now. After a couple of years he finally persuaded me to try it - by the desperate last-ditch manoeuvre of buying me one - and now I can't do without it.
I'll still buy the odd book (like "the Cola Cowboys" about long-distance truckers in the 70s, if I can find it) because I want to own it, but if I want to read a book it'll be the Amazon Kindle version.
I'll buy books like I'd buy an E-Type DHC or a Triumph Stag, just for the sheer pleasure of ownership, but for going to work or going shopping etc. I don't give a rat's arse whether I buy, lease or rent a normal car, I just need it to travel from here to there, I don't need to own the thing.
Likewise books, for reading it's the Kindle for me from now on.

*In the interests of balance, other e-book readers are available.
But I don't care about them because I've already got one, and only one pair of eyes.

Enigma is a good book, He does a good job of intertwining the fictional tale around all the work done at Bletchley. It is also one of the few actual paper copies of a book that I actually own along with 95% of Tom Clancy's work.

From now on though its electronic all the way for me now. Although there are some books you should own like LOTR and the Hobbit.

I had a bit of a wobble and posted about this book on a thread last night in response to Vijay managing to pull $50 out of his arse. Whilst relevant, it was also wildly off topic.

Anyway, I read this a few years ago and it is a really interesting book with a strapline that says all:

Rich Dad, poor Dad: What the rich teach thier kids about money that the poor do not!

http://www.amazon.com/Rich-Dad-Poor-Money-That-Miniature/dp/0762434279

The ironic thing is that the author is now bankrupt.

Currently reading fiction 'Area51' by Bob Mayer as it was on offer on Kindle. I IS GRIPPED.
Think a cross between Andy McNab, Dan Brown and 'Made up UFO Stuff' fun book. I recommend it for a bit of escapism.

I am reading 'The martian' by Andy Weir its about a mission to mars, stuff goes wrong, big storm and they have to leave mars in a rush. On the way to the launch vehicle one of them dies in the storm and the rest have to leave without him. Except he isn't dead. He then has to survive all alone on mars until he can be rescued.

It is a fantastically detailed, technical and well researched book and written with some humour. Very highly recommended.

It has just been bought by a big publishing company and is currently unavailable but is due for rerelease in a few weeks.
Its also being turned into a film.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16046182-the-martian

Just picked up One of our Own - the life and death of Myra Hindley. Very disturbing, how do these people find each other?

Just getting towards the end of "The Hydrogen Sonata" by Iain M Banks, and rather sad that it will likely be his last Culture novel - I must have read "Consider Phlebas" and "Use of Weapons" a dozen times each, and they never get dull. Also stocked up my Kindle with some of his non-M stuff for when we go on holiday next week ("Stonemouth" and "Steep Approach..."). I might chuck "The Bridge" in there too...

I'm not too far in to the book, her and Brady have just killed their first victim, but it's pretty clear she was incredibly manipulative so poor old Lord Longford was an easy target for her.

I've been looking him up and it is fairly certain that he was a sexual deviant anyway, so his stance is not to be wondered at and it was rumoured that he had conjugal visits with her in prison...

I just read "Capital" by John Lanchester. I highly recommend it!! There is also a female Japanese author I really love. Her name is Hiromi Kawakami. She writes love stories, but they are very different from our western ones. You should check it out. I also love Paul Auster. I think he's a genius!!

For a brilliant read try Lionel Shriver's We need to talk about Kevin. If you've seen the film don't worry the book is fantastic and makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom