Bone dome kerfuffle

315a40194d42d82e6fe215d69c069035.jpg

aa3d81af38709b43da164745a2ce3897.jpg

The problem with all of the helmet design changing is that it means that none of them are memorable. Look at these two classics. One glance and you know who they belonged to (although the first shown gives you two choices).

Last edited:
Problem is, Vettel wouldn't be represented by one helmet. He's almost as famous for changing helmets as Senna was for yellow, green and blue.

Plus it would prevent stuff like Button paying tribute to his dad, or Coulthard to Colin McRae, or charity editions, or the such like. Pointless rule.

Last edited:
siffert_fan - Oh, I'm all for that. I think the helmet should be totally about the drivers and not anyone or anything else.

Although there could be a rule to prevent two drivers in the same team having the same coloured helmet.

I was going to make the same point. Half the time, you can't even see the basic design under stickers and logos. Just look at the difference between Hill Snr and Hill Jnr, and it's got worse since then.

If you are going to force drivers to have a single design then get rid of all the sponsorship.

Problem with that is it means less funding for team and driver which again will hit the smaller teams hard and the big teams will just brush it off.

I think TBY is exactly right. Helmet designs used to reflect the driver. From the Kiwi on the side of the helmets of both Chris Amon and Denis Hulme, to the Stewart clan tartan on Jackie's bonce, they were about who the driver was, not who was paying them.

Problem with that is it means less funding for team and driver which again will hit the smaller teams hard and the big teams will just brush it off.

I suspect that the vast majority of the advertising money for the helmets goes into the driver's pockets, not the teams.

It has been a very long time since I've used the drivers helmet design to recognise who he is, for instance for a while the only difference between Hamilton and Rosberg was that Rosberg wore yellow gloves.

This is one of the more trivial subjects about F1 as far as I can tell.

Actually I couldn't give a flying **** what a driver puts on his head as long it does the job of protecting his noggin...

I suspect that the vast majority of the advertising money for the helmets goes into the driver's pockets, not the teams.

....and the majority of drivers for the small teams are paying money into the team through their sponsors. Therefore less sponsors for driver means less money for teams. Won't make the slightest difference for big teams but might for the smaller ones in the current financial climate.

I agree F1 shouldn't be like that but right now it is and thats not going to change anytime soon.

Back
Top Bottom