Best Debut

Which driver had the most dazzling debut race in F1 history?

• Total voters
I just watched that start again and actually it doesn’t seem quite as impressive as I remembered it, 4th to 3rd overtaking Heidfeld. He actually had an less than amazing getaway and almost lost a place to Kubica.
(It was still good before anyone gets defensive, it being his first race is what makes it good.).

It's the going around the outside of Alonso bit that impresses me. The overhead replay does the move justice. Hamilton was inches away from taking out his new double WDC teammate in their first corner. Although he would finish behind Fernando, this set the tone for their partnership pretty early.

Seventeen drivers have achieved podiums in their first World Championship race start (excluding Indianapolis 500s)
Giuseppe Farina 1st 1950 GB
Luigi Fagioli 2nd 1950 GB
Reg Parnell 3rd 1950 GB
Alberto Ascari 2nd 1950 Monaco
Peter Whitehead 3rd 1950 France
Dorino Serafini 2nd 1950 Italy (shared drive)
Jean Behra 3rd 1952 Switzerland
Karl Kling 2nd 1954 France
Cesare Perdisa 3rd 1955 Monaco (shared drive)
Masten Gregory 3rd 1957 Monaco
Giancarlo Baghetti 1st 1961 France
Peter Arundell 3rd 1964 Monaco (DNS 1963 France)
Mike Parkes 2nd 1966 France (DNQ 1959 GB)
Reine Wisell 3rd 1970 USA
Mark Donohue 3rd 1971 Canada
Jacques Villeneuve 2nd 1996 Australia
Lewis Hamilton 3rd 2007 Australia

I'm going to propose that Johnny Herbert's debut for Benetton in the 1989 Brazilian Grand Prix be shortlisted. Admittedly, he benefitted mainly from retirements to those who started ahead of him, but he outperformed team-mate Nannini all weekend, and, in extremely tough conditions came home fourth, only a few seconds behind Prost and Gugelmin. Of course, he was still on crutches at the time following his terrible F3000 crash the previous summer.

It's the going around the outside of Alonso bit that impresses me.

That's right......I also was really amazed to see Lewis come out ahead of Alonso. Another thing that initially suprissed me about Hamilton during his debut race, he didn't seem to be rattled by the fierce pressure that Fernando was placing on him, and looked as if he wasn't just about to let him by........that would have to wait for pitstops, which took care of that.

If i remember rightly Herbert's drink system packed up half way through the race and he wasn't able to rehydrate himself which, in the summer heat of Brazil, adds to the quality of his performance. Didn't he ride a bike around the pits and paddock as it was less stressful than walking?

It should be noted that after completing just 15 laps at Kyalami, Keke Rosberg won the International Trophy race at Silverstone in just his 2nd F1 outing. The race was run in an absolute downpour and he just managed to stay ahead of Emerson Fittipaldi for a good portion of the race.

I'm going to propose that Johnny Herbert's debut for Benetton in the 1989 Brazilian Grand Prix be shortlisted. Admittedly, he benefitted mainly from retirements to those who started ahead of him, but he outperformed team-mate Nannini all weekend, and, in extremely tough conditions came home fourth, only a few seconds behind Prost and Gugelmin. Of course, he was still on crutches at the time following his terrible F3000 crash the previous summer.

I would like to add my support for Johnny Herbert too. That was a miraculous performance. I was a big Nannini fan at the time - any driver who lives on a diet of coffee and fags is alright by me, and Herbert blew him into the weeds despite his injuries and all in the beautiful (to me anyway) B188 - the 1988 car.

Schumacher's Jordan debut was pretty spectacular, shame he killed the clutch at the start. It would have been interesting to see what he could have done as De Cesaris was running 2nd before the Cosworth went pop just 3 laps from the end.

Wtf? The thread poll is about the four drivers mentioned isn't it?
To describe Minardi as HRT causes my blood to boil.
JV drove the bollocks off that Williams, so he got my vote.

Not quite my point The Artist....., the poll has four drivers, some votes are already cast so to add others biases the outcome.

This is because of my stupidity. I thought I could start a poll and then edit to add in names that were nominated as you went along
My four were suggestions. You can't do that though so what I'll do is start another poll with all those names put forward. I am in the lake district until Thursday though so will be at weekend.

So please put forward your candidates and I'll put the poll on.

Back
Top Bottom