Bernie Ecclestone

Bernie Ecclestone attempted to qualify for a single World Championship event. He was in a Connaught-Alta, one of a fleet of three entered by himself. He finished qualifying 265.2 seconds off the pace, and his two team-mates failed to qualify as well.

He is, however, the most important single person in Grand Prix history. He took charge of Motor Racing Developments in 1972, from Ron Tauranac. He was the team principal for Nelson Piquet's two drivers' titles, but he'd lost interest by the time Brabham missed the deadline to enter the 1988 World Championship.

Into the governance of the sport he went, and he modernised it, and quickly controlled Formula One. He is now the leader of a billion-dollar industry. He is a divisive figure, but he's not done badly for someone who was four minutes off the pace on a Saturday in Monaco.

• he gave no sympathy to any grieving drivers to save themselves from themselves. he told Reutemann after seeing rindt crash "stop being down, this is your job so get on with it"
Exactly the kind of person we need nowadays for this hypersensitive generation. Everyone in motorsport should be aware of the dangers, but it seems like the spectators and even drivers are completely oblivious to the dangers nowadays. It explains why certain drivers, most notably Verstappen and Grosjean, often drive the way they do.

New owner of F1 who's only radical change to F1 is delaying the start by five minutes claims previous owner did not do enough.

New definition of "ironic" hits dictionaries world wide.

Hey that's really unfair! He also added 2 and a half mins to session 2 of qualifying as well. Credit where credit is due. I mean the F1 fan survey had session 2 of qualifying being 2 mins short as it's top priority.

I'm sure Chevy 'in it for the money' Chase and Ross 'I used to be a money grabbing cheat but now suddenly I'm jesus' Brawn will radicalise the sport.

Remember folks, the revolution starts in 2021 when the old Concorde agreement expires.

I've got a sneaking suspicion that the teams will filibuster negotiations well into 2022 by which time it will be seen that the new technical regulations have achieved naff all, any budget cap will have been shown to be completely unworkable and the only solution the status quo while everyone promises to look at it again very, very carefully when the agreement is due for renewal next time.

New owner of F1 who's only radical change to F1 is delaying the start by five minutes claims previous owner did not do enough.

New definition of "ironic" hits dictionaries world wide.

maybe yes & ive rarely see owners take over & then go this is nothing to do with us for another 5 years. 2022 is when you can blame us

but he had some great points

There were things that the sport needed to get on top of that it hasn’t.

I do think the issue with things like costs got to a place that should have been dealt with before.

I’ve talked about the hybrid engine and the incredible technology involved in it, and yet the years preceding us mostly was all people crapping on it as opposed to saying: ‘This is the most efficient engine, it’s an incredible piece of technology
----------------------------

I'd completely forgotten that it ends in 2021. That means we're going to have a whole year of Ferrari/Mercedes/Red Bull threatening to leave the sport if they don't get to win or more money. Oh the joy.

they will do what they do for the last 40 yrs. we all know you wont because there is no othet series where you can realistically go to

Last edited:
The problem with his points is that they are just that points. Ones that every pundit not paid by the mainstream and fan has been saying for years. There are no solutions presented and I don't see any ideas coming out at all.

Also, just to clarify, the hybrid era has not been crap because people have criticized the technology. It's been crap because the racing has been crap and that's because F1 doesn't have a system that allows teams to develop and catch up. The top teams are always the top teams. F1 has already disappeared up its own backside with self praise, reverence and flogging it's log to a picture of itself in the last 10 years so if his main idea is for people to praise it more and then it might be better I think you can probably count me, and a lot of others, out.

F1 is rather like trimming the sails on a yacht, by paying attention to minutiae to get every thing the perfect theoretical condition the yacht stops and nobody notices except those watching (fans). F1 has the perfect theoretical tracks (Tilke), the perfect efficient engine and the optimum aerodynamics that cars are unable to race, only imperfections in the aero and cash allow one team to be faster than another providing the better aero works when approaching other cars.

The other thing that should be pointed out in regards the Concorde agreement is that Mr Chase has allowed something to happen that Bernie never would. Bernie was the King Herod of the Motorsport world. Any series that looks like it might be moving in and taking a piece of F1's pie he would choke and kill through negotiation, dirty tactics, inhancing his own product and plain money. He'll he even killed Indy Car at one point. Chase has failed to do that.

In the last 5 years Formula E has got a very small foothold in F1's mountain. It has a history, TV coverage, a large amount of invested manufacturers, a quality driver line up and a great MO for sponsors. It might come to nothing but it's mere existence presents a bargaining point for teams when negotiating. Bernie started to try to kill it before he left. The reason there has been no London E-Prix in last few years is the Bernie played around with schedule of races creating clashes. Formula E had to beg for a new date in London which they only got if the gave into the residents committee and agreed never to race there again. Since he has gone though all the interference has stopped. A rival series racing on the same circuits as F1? (Mexico) F1 teams building parts for a rival series (McLaren, Williams)? F1's top team entering a team in a rival series (Merc)? Never on Bernie's watch.

Don't get me wrong, I love Formula E. I think it's the best thing to happen to Motorsport in a long time. I also despised Mr Ecclestones money making scheming. I'm just suggesting that Mr Chase is maybe not as smart as he thinks he is.

Last edited:
It is more accurate to suggest Bernie interpreted the rules to his advantage, to suggest cheating has a multitude of repercussions if taken to the extreme, one should always prefix with allegedly :whistle:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom