Bernie Ecclestone

Bernie Ecclestone attempted to qualify for a single World Championship event. He was in a Connaught-Alta, one of a fleet of three entered by himself. He finished qualifying 265.2 seconds off the pace, and his two team-mates failed to qualify as well.

He is, however, the most important single person in Grand Prix history. He took charge of Motor Racing Developments in 1972, from Ron Tauranac. He was the team principal for Nelson Piquet's two drivers' titles, but he'd lost interest by the time Brabham missed the deadline to enter the 1988 World Championship.

Into the governance of the sport he went, and he modernised it, and quickly controlled Formula One. He is now the leader of a billion-dollar industry. He is a divisive figure, but he's not done badly for someone who was four minutes off the pace on a Saturday in Monaco.

Bloke on the Today program reckoned this could be the decider on whether the Germans prosecute Bernie. The judgement makes interesting reading.

In written findings, Mr Justice Newey said: "The payments were a bribe. They were made because Mr Ecclestone had entered into a corrupt agreement with Dr Gribkowsky on May 2005 under which Dr Gribkowsky was to be rewarded for facilitating the sale of BLB's shares in the F1 Group to a buyer acceptable to Mr Ecclestone.

"Mr Ecclestone's aim was to be rid of the banks. He was strongly averse to their involvement in the F1 Group and was keen that their shares should be transferred to someone more congenial to him."

The judge also said: "Even... making allowances for the lapse of time and Mr Ecclestone's age, I am afraid that I find it impossible to regard him as a reliable or truthful witness."

I'm not at all surprised that comes from him as it just reflects his Thatcherite conservatism. Younger folks may not know about the notorious "Clause 28" (otherwise known as Section 28 of the Local Government Act 1988) which in essence reflects the same stance as Putin's government. Of course it is no less reprehensible in terms of intent and modes of enforcement.

Last edited:
I don't think that Clause 28 actually caused police beatings in the streets or bombs in "queer" bars, I think that was more down to the BNP.

How sick is this guy? Greenlantern101 your post really points out how unhinged his mind is. If kids are gay, they are gay. Not seeing gay literature is not going to change that. BE knows that, or he's really out of touch with the western world.

Last edited:
:D
Didn't work for you.

But thanks it worked for me.

I know, I know.. I just couldn't resist.

Last edited:
Hmm :thinking: agree on the bombs bit but our bobbies were pretty liberal with their batons in the '80s :whistle:

Has anything changed? Most still only have batons and don't stand a cat in Hell's chance against most of what is fired at them.

Our bobbies may not be the best, but they are by no means the worst either. It is easy to slag them off, I do it on a regular basis. I don't understand why anyone would want the job, but do understand that they don't always get the easy ride.

I know two policemen, strangely both are women in their thirties - both are/were idealists - they have stuck with the job and I can only applaud them for that.

Last edited:
And whilst I'm being 'obnoxious', please read this carefully

"But in an exclusive interview with CNN, Ecclestone says he "completely agrees" with Putin's policy towards homosexuals.

"He hasn't said he doesn't agree (with homosexuality) just that he doesn't want these things publicized to an audience under the age of 18," said Ecclestone, arguing critics had misrepresented Putin.

"I completely agree with those sentiments and if you took a world census you'd find 90% of the world agree with it as well," added the 83-year-old, who oversees one of the world's most lucrative sports...............

"I've great admiration for him and his courage to say what he says," said the octogenarian.

"It may upset a few people but that's how the world is. It's how he sees (the world) and I think he's completely right," Ecclestone added."

Whilst I wouldn't want to agree with either Putin nor Ecclestone, I think they have a right to state their opinions. Whatever your feelings on the aged dwarf (you can call him such here, isn't that wonderful!), he actually has a valid point if you look at the semantics he used.

This is the strength of the man, Bernie.

Back
Top Bottom