Bernie Ecclestone

Bernie Ecclestone attempted to qualify for a single World Championship event. He was in a Connaught-Alta, one of a fleet of three entered by himself. He finished qualifying 265.2 seconds off the pace, and his two team-mates failed to qualify as well.

He is, however, the most important single person in Grand Prix history. He took charge of Motor Racing Developments in 1972, from Ron Tauranac. He was the team principal for Nelson Piquet's two drivers' titles, but he'd lost interest by the time Brabham missed the deadline to enter the 1988 World Championship.

Into the governance of the sport he went, and he modernised it, and quickly controlled Formula One. He is now the leader of a billion-dollar industry. He is a divisive figure, but he's not done badly for someone who was four minutes off the pace on a Saturday in Monaco.

I'm pretty sure that red bull ........ with a large budget would quite happily breach the spending cap for only a 3 point loss.

Maybe not this season though!

And am appalled that BE thinks he can bribe/corrupt teams to his way of thinking.

Anyone know why the single most expensive sport on the planet should be subject to constant interference from one who has made his millions?

If he really wants them to save money, all GPs should be held in the UK!

The whole "team budget" idea seems laughable to me. For instance: Ferrari design,build and develop their own engine, which they then can sell to other teams. Is the cost of designing, building and development part of the Ferrari team budget, or is it dealt with separately? If the latter, then does the Ferrari team buy it's engines from a supposed "separate entity" with the money spent being part of their budget. If so, what is to preclude the separate entity from charging "Team Ferrari" much less for the engines than other "customers" have to pay?

It seems to me that the potential for loopholes is vast, and the certainty of even-handed enforcement of "budget" rules non-existent.

http://www.cityam.com/article/1390524943/ecclestone-board-exit-heads-threat-f1-future-mercedes

This bit of news was hidden away on a piece in CityAM which I openly admit I had never heard of until I clicked the link on the Beeb's afterthought section* had it not been on my birthday when I was elsewhere I might have seen it, read it and posted about it somewhat earlier. C'est la vie. Anyway, apparently Mercedes F1 team was under threat because the Daimler board were considering withdrawing their association with F1 on the grounds that F1 is associated with Bernie.

What the writer of the article appears to miss is the relationship of the Daimler company to the other teams with whom they are doing business as engine suppliers. In addition he writer has missed the fact that whilst he may no longer be on the board of F1's owners Bernie is still working for them. Does this mean that Daimler's concerns - i.e. that their business relationships may be tarnished by virtue of the "guilty by association" perspective - are ameliorated simply by ensuring the villain of the piece sits on a seat in a different room? Maybe they should ask him to leave the building.

*That's what I call the little nuggets at the bottom of Beeb web pages that they can't be arsed to report properly about

Or maybe Mercedes are thinking of the possibilty of an exit if they have a bad season ; they could then say that Mr Ecclestone was the reason. Their only problem would be that the aforementioned gentleman would not be there.

I've just read that Bernie will personally give anyone a million with information about a team overspending....
The senile one believes this will result in the teams self-policing, but it is far more likely to result in inter-team espionage escalating to levels never before thought possible. Since there are 10 other teams, the statistical probability of finding a wrongdoer on another team are significantly higher than ferreting them out on your own.

No-one ever admits to wanting to be the leader of a political party when the current one is having troubles either. John Major developed a raging toothache.

A year and a bit into long term unemployment I'm tempted ... but no, me neither ...

... not that a pleb like me would get past the CV vetting process anyway ... let alone asked. It's a shame really but can only blame myself ... and Rooters, of course.

Back
Top Bottom