Bernie Ecclestone

Bernie Ecclestone attempted to qualify for a single World Championship event. He was in a Connaught-Alta, one of a fleet of three entered by himself. He finished qualifying 265.2 seconds off the pace, and his two team-mates failed to qualify as well.

He is, however, the most important single person in Grand Prix history. He took charge of Motor Racing Developments in 1972, from Ron Tauranac. He was the team principal for Nelson Piquet's two drivers' titles, but he'd lost interest by the time Brabham missed the deadline to enter the 1988 World Championship.

Into the governance of the sport he went, and he modernised it, and quickly controlled Formula One. He is now the leader of a billion-dollar industry. He is a divisive figure, but he's not done badly for someone who was four minutes off the pace on a Saturday in Monaco.

He made the "sport" what it is today and then complains because the teams behave the way he does.

What has he done to the sport? Hardly anything damaging.

teabagyokel
The sound does seem to play a part. Aren't there people in this forum, let alone the others on the internet, complaining about the new sound?
The sound I believe plays a significant part when experiencing a motor race live although not a dominating factor. Without doubt will it be less important to those sitting on their couch, in a pub etc. and watching on TV.

I also find it fairly weird that you say that a rule change was necessary to ensure that Vettel doesn't keep on winning. First of all, we have had several technical rule changes over the past 4 years and still Vettel and Red Bull were ahead of the game. It would be wrong to put new rules in place to penalise them for their good work. Sport is a competition. The other competitors have failed miserably over the last years, especially in 2011 and 2013.
However I am glad that, that wasn't the main reason for the FIA to put new rules in place.

Last edited:
Wasn't it 2011-the 1st year of the pirellis when it was completely unpredictable- when there was racing throughout the field but Vettel still dominated. It didn't matter too much that the same guy brought the points home that season as the racing throughout was fantastic.

Plutus - F1 is not about the sound of a V8. F1 has had a range of different sounds - turbo and no turbo.

Not once did I mention the V8's and I wasn't referring to them either. I meant the sound in general. F1 has created more unique and powerful noises than the ones that are being created currently. I don't mind the current ones but honestly in the videos they sound similar to some of the modern sports cars.

Bernie is all about the show. Hands up those who think the show was good in the second half of 2013.

No-one?

It's about the racing?

Here. I am raising my hand. I liked it. The show doesn't always take place at the front of the field, unless you consider the podium celebrations to be the main part of the show.

I think we saw enough racing in 2013, don't you? Where were you, you seem to have missed the fights between the McLaren's, Force India's, Williams's, Ferrari's, Mercedes's, Sauber's, Toro Rosso's and the slow guy in the Red Bull and even Vettel had to fight his sometimes. They were there constantly.

Stop focussing on Vettel. And you might just enjoy it for once.

Nobody bets on a horse to finish 5th.
Racing is about winning no matter what sport.
I don't believe anyone watches a race and disregards the winner because the 7th and 8th place finishers had a close race.
The ratings for the second half of last year would appear to agree with me.

Nobody bets on a horse to finish 5th.
Racing is about winning no matter what sport.
I don't believe anyone watches a race and disregards the winner because the 7th and 8th place finishers had a close race.
The ratings for the second half of last year would appear to agree with me.

Of course, people with a favourite driver/ team other than the winning driver/ team will focus much more on the winner because it is in their interest to see the driver/ team they support to do well. Nevertheless that doesn't mean race can't be entertaining because of one single person winning each race.

It is nothing more of an obsession of those focussing on the winner and winding themselves up about it due to the disappointment they are experiencing.

Take your eyes off the driver in the winning position during the race, be objective and look at the bigger picture.

I enjoyed nearly every race of last season, despite the fact that Webber was getting his ass kicked by that german kid.
You know when I got really bored?
2003 and 2005, I was supporting Kimi at the time and it was months before the season end, in both years he had a realistic chance of winning the title (mathematically), that I just got bored because nothing was going on on the track. The racing was stale.

You're comparison to the horse racing is a little inapt because of the increased interest in seeing the horse you have placed your bet on win (if you are betting on it to win).

Last edited:
To be perfectly honest Vettel didn't get that much camera time so you could if you were of a mind to just forget about him and concentrate on the battle for the lower positions...

ctarotyfulltable-png.7451

That's not a positive list of numbers.

Back
Top Bottom