Beeb to introduce live driver tracker

fat jez

Race Winner
Valued Member
Looks like Auntie is trialling a feed where you can see each driver's position on a map of the track. The trial will take place this weekend for Silverstone.

Source: James Allen

GPSMAP.jpg

I wonder how it will work in practice.

Will it just appear occasionally as decided by the BBC or will it only be available on the red button?

Edit: Just read it and it's online only so not on the TV.

This should prove invaluable for spotting overtakes so Galahad and Keke will be pleased I suspect.

The only problem is I'm going to need another monitor now, what with this, live timing, chat :D

Ahh excellent I have been waiting for something like this!

McLaren.com have the feature for Lewis and Button, but not the whole driver line up. I would imagine that this will be an online feature mostly, and commented on briefly in the coverage.

For those of you that don't have an iPhone, there has also been an F1 app, with this very feature. The only thing is they charge you 20 quid for it. The official forumla1.com app doesn't have this feature only the live timings.

Here's me hoping that the beeb write a free app for it :)

It will be interesting how the beeb are getting the data. All the cars and team have military grade GPS, accurate to 0.5m most of the time, and updated at a high refresh rate.

Hopefully, the beeb have got the live feed, and so should be able to provide pretty accurate data!

Edit: Should really have read the article first as it mentions the iphone and everything. Oh well never mind

Looks good. :thumbsup:

This will be valuable for those of us without iPhones.

Hope they change the background colour of the names in the top-right corner, it's not exactly quick and easy to read.

I'd be most interested to see a picture of your mission control Galahad :)

Cant imagine what it takes to keep track of all of the overtakes. Do you and Keke have a team of followers with stopwatches?

@Brogan: LOL

MajorDanby said:
I'd be most interested to see a picture of your mission control Galahad :)

Cant imagine what it takes to keep track of all of the overtakes. Do you and Keke have a team of followers with stopwatches?

Ah, it's surprisingly simple, for example this is the machine I use to time Mark Webber's pit stops:

colossus2.jpg

I can see this thread probably hasn't gone as jez envisaged, slapped wrist for me for starting it all off :spank: :embarrassed:

Now if only we had a moderator... :whistle:

Brogan said:
I can see this thread probably hasn't gone as jez envisaged,
Now if only we had a moderator... :whistle:

I only post the news headlines, what happens to a front page thread thereafter is nowt to do with me! LOL

Haven't you chosen a new mod yet? ;)

Thanks Rick for giving me someone else to share the blame with on this thread! I think I've disqualified myself from any mod duties!

Sorry I would have said something sooner but I had to retrieve some data from one of my back up tapes.

Took a while.

Any way, You've all been very naughty. Now get this thread back on topic at once.

:punish:

Attachments

• comp.jpg
    comp.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 95
Out of interest, does anyone have the iPhone app' which does the same/a similar thing?

I keep hearing about it but not having an i<insertwordhere> of any description, I have no idea what it does.

Back
Top Bottom