Autocourse Top 10 2011

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
Something I like to visit every year, can you match the Top 10 driver chosen by the editor of Autocourse using the following criteria "taking into account their racing performances and the equipment at their disposal". The driver must also have take part in every race so no Perez, Heidfeld, Senna, Chandhok etc..

Last year Alan Henry chose his Top 10 as:

1. Sebastian Vettel
2. Lewis Hamilton
3. Fernando Alonso
4. Mark Webber
5. Robert Kubica
6. Jenson Button
7. Nico Rosberg
8. Rubens Barrichello
9. Felipe Massa
10. Michael Schumacher

My top 10 for 2011 is:

1. Sebastian Vettel
2. Jenson Button
3. Fernando Alonso
4. Lewis Hamilton
5. Mark Webber
6. Nico Rosberg
7. Michael Schumacher
8. Adrian Sutil
9. Felipe Massa
10. Heikki Kovalainen

Good choices FB. I'd not be too dissimilar:

1. Sebastian Vettel
2. Fernando Alonso
3. Jenson Button
4. Lewis Hamilton
5. Nico Rosberg
6. Mark Webber
7. Michael Schumacher
8. Adrian Sutil
9. Heikki Kovalainen
10. Felipe Massa

This would be mine. I don't believe the Ferrari was any worse than the McLaren, I just believe Massa was as slow as a slow thing, Webber only just scrapes the top 10 as I can't put Perez in there and Kobi didn't impress enough this year..

Vettel can't be anywhere but 1st as he made the most of his machinery, even if it was the best machinery in the field..

1. Sebastian Vettel
2. Jenson Button
3. Fernando Alonso
4. Lewis Hamilton
5. Nico Rosberg
6. Michael Schumacher
7. Adrian Sutil
8. Heikki Kovalainen
9. Paul Di Resta
10. Mark Webber

This is mine. Massa Would be 11th based on his reasonable qually times only his race pace was very poor. Webber just scrapes 10th again based on his reasonable qually performances. Schumacher still looks slow compared to Rosberg.

1. Sebastian Vettel
2. Jenson Button
3. Fernando Alonso
4. Lewis Hamilton
5. Nico Rosberg
6. Heikki Kovalainen
7. Adrian Sutil
8. Michael Schumacher
9. Paul Di Resta
10. Mark Webber

1. Sebastian Vettel
2. Fernando Alonso
3. Jenson Button
4. Lewis Hamilton
5. Nico Rosberg
6. Adrian Sutil
7. Michael Schumacher
8. Heikki Kovalainen
9. Paul diResta
10. Mark Webber

1. Sebastian Vettel
  2. Fernando Alonso
  3. Jenson Button
  4. Nico Rosberg
  5. Lewis Hamilton
  6. Adrian Sutil
  7. Michael Schumacher
  8. Kamui Kobayashi
  9. Jaime Alguersuari
  10. Sebastian Buemi

I reckon:

1. Sebastian Vettel - Couldn't be any other really
2. Fernando Alonso - A season of quiet determination yielded rewards beyond the cars real pace
3. Jenson Button - Maybe his best season in F1 but just lacks that bit extra over a single lap
4. Lewis Hamilton - On song he's still got it, out of key and he's had a nightmare
5. Adrian Sutil - Consistently got the best out of the Force India
6. Mark Webber - 10 podiums including 1 win means it couldn't have been that bad a season but Vettel cast a giant shadow
7. Nico Rosberg - Did nothing wrong all season but just couldn't find the podium
8. Michael Schumacher - Shades of the old Schui at times (for good and bad) but still behind his team mate
9. Heikki Kovalainen - Worked hard all season to close the gap and showed real pace, Needs to be rewarded for his loyalty
10. Paul Di Resta - An impressive debut season made to look worse by Renault's early season podiums.

An important factor for me was drivers’ improving on their starting grid position versus retaining and losing positions.

1. Sebastien Vettel
  2. Fernando Alonso
  3. Jenson Button
  4. Lewis Hamilton
  5. Adrian Sutil
  6. Mark Webber
  7. Paul di Resta
  8. Nico Rosberg
  9. Michael Schumacher
  10. Jaime Alguersuari

We've come to expect some strange things from Autosport but I don't think even the staunchest Hamilton fan could even think about putting Lewis ahead of Jenson and Fernando.

1. Sebastien Vettel - Says it all really. Oh and welcome to the Grand Chelem Club!
  2. Jenson Button - Even though Hamilton had a poor season (not as awful as some have said though), Button still showed class and determination to have his best season in F1 bar the Brawn year.
  3. Fernando Alonso - Another awful season from Massa somewhat blurs how good Alonso was this year for me, so Button just elbows him to 3rd place.
  4. Nico Rosberg - Again an impressive season from Nico, kept calm under mid to late season pressure from his illustrious team mate. Someone give him a winning car please!
  5. Lewis Hamilton - Poor overall season by his standards but his wins were brilliant and saved him from being down the order.
  6. Michael Schumacher - Showing some of that old sparkle again, he actually gave Nico some food for thought for next year. Canada was outstanding, robbed of a podium by the DRS.
  7. Adrian Sutil - Despite coming under pressure from young di Resta, he eventually showed his class to help FI overhaul Renault (and score some points in the FF1 for me! ;)). Brazil was a great way to end.
  8. Mark Webber - 10 podiums, 1 win (?!) and top 5 every race bar 1 DNF doesn't sound like a bad season but to be trounced by your teammate in such a way doesn't bode well for your career. Still, 3rd in the table mind you.
  9. Kamui Kobayashi - Couldn't match his first half of the season but overall still a good year, tantalisingly close to catching the Renaults! We can be a bit bias can't we? :D
  10. Paul di Resta/ Sergio Perez/ Jaime Alguersuari - Can't pick between these guys sorry. All had impressive seasons and all had some excellent performances; Sergio at Japan probably the pick of those. Funny that Jaime is the youngest of these guys - he's still only 21!

Mine are:

1. Seb Vettel
2. Jenson Button
3. Fernando Alonso
4. Nico Rosberg
5. Lewis Hamilton
6. Adrian Sutil
7. Paul Di Resta
8. Michael Schumacher
9. Hekki Kovalainen
10. Sergio Perez

You may ask, why no Massa, why no Webber. Well to be quite frank none of them had a good season and didn't warrant been anywhere in my top ten. Hamilton is in their as he won 3 GP's like his team mate and didn't get totally hammered by his teammate. Plus i thought that other drivers had a better season than the pair of them put together.

You can't have Perez Hammy as he didn't compete for the whole season. Them's the Autocourse rules I'm afraid.

Well
1. Vettel - can't really argue except for his dip midseason including the last lap off in Canada but still was the most consistent

2. Alonso - considering Ferrari went backwards he was still up there with Mclaren and Red Bulls. Let down by a poor Ferrari which was hopeless on hard tyres

3. Button - the next consistent after Vettel and the one who kept pushing most of the time

4. Rosberg - Usually best of the rest in a car not quite good enough to challenge the front

5. Hamilton - 3 brilliant wins with countless incidents and penalties in between which blighted his season

6. Schumacher - Came on real strong second half of the season and occasionally caused the front runners a few headaches

7. Webber - 10 podiums inc 1 win but it was the best car and most weekends got a real trouncing and then did not make the most of opportunities when presented to him

8. Sutil - After a shaky start showed consistency and experience second half of the season

9 Kovalainen - trounced a waning Trulli and kept Lotus' spirits up despite battling the odds with no kers

10. Di Resta - impressive rookie season and matched Sutil . Inexperienced cost him dearly at Monaco and Canada

Back
Top Bottom