Are casual viewers ruining Formula One?

Are casual viewers ruining F1?

• Yes

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • No

Votes: 25 69.4%

• Total voters
I completely agree chad, although it's the casual fans and I suspect the majority that are required to keep viewing figures up and sponsors in the sport. Without this income would the sport survived? I don't like the rules - not all together and I blame the need to appeal to the casual fan for this but they may be a necessary evil.

I would like to meet all these fans that Brundle was talking about that are pleased with the new rules.
e this year
I'm actually surprised that some people don't like the new rules. Personally I love the on track action we have this year. Is it just DRS you don't like or is it KERS and Pirelli too. I admit with the new Pirellis that KERS and DRS are not necessary.

Really it's just DRS i'm not a fan of, but as we've seen in Spain, its not just down to the length of the zone.

Several efforts to increase overtaking over the years came to nought, including drastic changes in the size of front and rear wings etc. Then they introduced KERS which helped a little but not a lot, and immediately dropped it at the end of its introductory season. A crazy decision in my view that set F1 back an extra year.

Frustration must have set in and they decided on a whole host of changes all at once which has cheapened the show to some extent, at least for the purists who write articles like this. And some are even more openly critical.

But the bottom line is that the changes we've seen for this year have met with huge approval from F1's most important audience: tha average fan.

Several efforts to increase overtaking over the years came to nought, including drastic changes in the size of front and rear wings etc. Then they introduced KERS which helped a little but not a lot, and immediately dropped it at the end of its introductory season. A crazy decision in my view that set F1 back an extra year.

Frustration must have set in and they decided on a whole host of changes all at once which has cheapened the show to some extent, at least for the purists who write articles like this. And some are even more openly critical.

But the bottom line is that the changes we've seen for this year have met with huge approval from F1's most important audience: tha average fan.

They have brought in too many changes this year, one too many...

On another note, some casual fans I know still say "it's boring, I just watch the first few laps and the end" - you are never going to please the casual fan, or the purists. But one thing is, the purists will always stay loyal to the sport no matter what.

To me it seems that F1 is being dumbed down for the benefit of the casual viewer. Tyres that only last 15-to 20 laps at most. Artificial overtaking aids like DRS. I don't want F1 to become more gimmicky just to appeal to people who would otherwise say " Were is the enjoyment in watching cars going round and round".

To me it seems that F1 is being dumbed down for the benefit of the casual viewer. Tyres that only last 15-to 20 laps at most. Artificial overtaking aids like DRS. I don't want F1 to become more gimmicky just to appeal to people who would otherwise say " Were is the enjoyment in watching cars going round and round".
Does the 'casual viewer' understand DRS, KERS and the importance of tyres - I think not. Only those who have a passing interest would tune in or buy tickets - they might not turn out to be diehard fans but they are far from casual.

Other than DRS, this season has been very good and if Spain showed anything it is that DRS is not causing the overtakes, it's the tyres. Personally I don't mind the system as even if the car behind doesn't overtake it does put them close and therefore at least creates a chance, even if it is a longshot which we would not have without the system.

The tyres are a very important factor in the increased number of overtakes of course. I think the DRS has had its part to play as well though. I was a big hater of the DRS pre season, but I have to say, I don't mind it as much now

Other than DRS, this season has been very good and if Spain showed anything it is that DRS is not causing the overtakes, it's the tyres. Personally I don't mind the system as even if the car behind doesn't overtake it does put them close and therefore at least creates a chance, even if it is a longshot which we would not have without the system.
It is the tyres, however if we still had refuelling there wouldn't be anywhere near the quantity and quality of overtaking that we have today. 2010 was an absolute feast for the eyes and the senses, a major procession and handful after and the "powers that be" went spacko and pressed the passenger ejector seat with Nichelle Yeoh still seating in it.

Back
Top Bottom