Are casual viewers ruining Formula One?

Are casual viewers ruining F1?

• Yes

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • No

Votes: 25 69.4%

• Total voters
The FIA is mostly to blame. DRS is far too contrived. It would be much better to reduce the permissable size of those hideous front wings. Reduce their maximum allowable width to the inside edge of the front tyres. That would greatly reduce front downforce and therefore reduce the amount they are affected by "dirty air". It would put a premium on mechanical grip, not aero assisted traction.

I couldn't agree more.I am desperately hoping that the 2013 regulations will reduce the aerodynamics by cutting the allowable wing sizes and allowing limited ground effect chassis design.Not I hasten to add allowing the "sliding skirt" versions.They were bloody dangerous.

When I watched my first televised Grand Prix, circa 1968 (almost certainly highlights, definitely on a black & white set) was I a casual fan? And if I'm a 'purist' now, I wonder what turned me into one?

Interesting question. I know that, in football, a purist is someone who thinks Arsenalona is the only way to play football. In cricket, it is someone who watches test matches rather than Twenty20. No idea what a purist is in F1 terms.

I thought DRS was marginally too effective in Turkey. But I'd rather that to what we had at times last year.

As for the original thread question; emphatically no. Without casual viewers there is no Formula One. Either that or it is on Sky Sports 8, following on from WWE Fake Wrestling and Ping-Pong.

When I watched my first televised Grand Prix, circa 1968 (almost certainly highlights, definitely on a black & white set) was I a casual fan? And if I'm a 'purist' now, I wonder what turned me into one?

Ha those were days.It was definitely highlights on BBC.They used to show the start of the British GP and after five laps go an old matinee movie and returning for the last five laps or so and the finish.That was it.
My best memories from those days was from Pathe news at the local cinema.

We were all casual viewers at some point and then some of us turn 'purist'... me, I like casual if it means I'm more open to change.

A lot of motor racing fans who consider themselves 'purists' dislike F1 intensely. I don't really know what an F1 'purist' would be, actually. It changes so much, so often, it's simply arbitrary to pick a moment in time and say it was pure 'then'.

Who to blame? Probably FISA for lifting the ban on commercial sponsorship in 1968. Start of a slippery slope...

It has to remain a sporting endeavour first and foremost. That means for the teams and drivers in concert. If drivers were hanging back until the last lap to use DRS knowing that their opponent couldn't fight back, I wouldn't like that.

Then again, isn't that what happened at Monza in 1971?

Probably the majority of Fans are "casual". Many don't even think about F1 between races. Just turn up / tune in as and when necessary.

We don't all do gear ratios and the like but simply like to see a good old "ding dong" on the track.

Each to his own. We all enjoy F1 for different reasons. ( IMO some need to lighten up though - why take it all so seriously - 'tis merely "Entertainment" or "Show Business" on wheels at the end of the day.)

Seems we were tailing off into a DRS discussion there, which I personally don't like - it takes quite a bit of skill out of overtaking and just means the faster cars will get themselves to the front sooner. And if that is the case then Fernando would have easily taken Petrov and the car in front to take the title...

And on this subject, there's nothing wrong with casual viewers, it has and always will be this way. I don't pretend to be a 'purist' in any way, I just like seeing good racing by (arguably?) the best drivers in the world.

Like any major sports these days, Formula One is big business.

If it means pandering to the casual viewer to increase revenue, then that's exactly what will happen.

Viewing figures are rising so expect more of the same.

Personally I think it must take an unthinkably high level of skill to operate and adapt to all these new gizmos, but I just need to ask all those who see the changes as the work of Satan, what would make you happy? Is there anything they could do that you wouldn't pick holes in? What could Formula One, neh, life throw at you that you wouldn't find something wrong with?
Also
What makes the needs of one kind of fan more important than the needs of others?
What happened to the needs of the many?

What makes the needs of one kind of fan more important than the needs of others?
What happened to the needs of the many?
Good point EW.
We all sit here "keyboard warriors" many of us believing that somehow we are the "real fans".
Are we.What does our continual carping over the FIA and stewards achieve.Precisely nothing. Sure we all follow F1 passionately but how much do we contribute to F. Same answer.Nothing.
Only the fans who attend races actually contribute to F1 financially, even then not that much.The millions of "casual fans" who keep the viewing figures up contribute as much as we do.
I have many friends who are F1 fans.Some very knowledgeable and indeed some who are actively employed in F1 in some form or another.
Most of them are not members of forums such as these.They simply have no interest in endless debates about various events.
Are my friends who are casual viewers any less important than we are.

Finally cast my vote which was a 'No' to the original question. Always intended to vote that way but very interested to see what other peep's thought and wanted to weigh up the arguments. My own view, unchanged despite all that I have read here, is that the sport, its commentators and its promoters have a duty to the casual viewer, and indeed all fans to inform and educate.

I seem to recall an excellent post some time ago elsewhere on this forum (perhaps the poster might recall it and remind us) which pointed out that there are countless other categories of motorsport if what one wants is a festival of overtaking and bumper bashing. Perhaps, what we are really seeking is a compromise whereby the overtake is not something governed by a 'permission' switch in race control or a nifty gadget but rather by driver skill, excellence in engineering and creative design that gives the driver the tools to express their brilliance. I'm sure even the most casual of fans will appreciate that. Hope so anyway.

I say no. Most people moved from a position of not watching to watching at some point, and despite all the side shows that we all enjoy getting involved in, the main factor that will keep f1 alive is people watching.

My criteria is a simple one. When the race has ended, I ask myself

"Did I enjoy that?"

I have to say, that so far this season, the answer has been mostly yes. Sure, the drs zone in turkey wws too long, and red bull being so good is in danger of stifling the competition, however, a new set of regs have brought new challenges to the teams and drivers, and it makes for great viewing to watch how it plays out.

If you want to be a purest, there are many forums where you can enjoy intelligent debate, and there is also 606 if you don't. And let's be honest, some of the less casual fans have some whacky ideas and opinions.

I think that there has not been a season that everyone will have been happy about, ever. And I for one am glad that the teams are prepared to take the decistions needed to try and keep things fresh.

I hope it is not allowed to descend into farce, and contriving scenarios which for example, allow hrt to win a race (nothing against hrt BTW!) Such as reverse grids, or the winning driver has to carry a competition winner!

I also think that it could be a lot worse if some of berries ideas had been implemented.

Back
Top Bottom