Alexander Rossi

I couldn't find a thread on him so apologies of there is one already.

Alexander Rossi (21) is a racing driver from Auburn, California USA currently competing in GP2 and reserve driver for Caterham F1.

Regular readers of Clip The Apex discussions may have noticed that I rarely get involved in discussions about new or relatively new drivers until they do something stupid. One of the reasons for this is that few of the newcomers have really grabbed my attention in their pre-F1 careers. However, having had a little look at Rossi's statistics, I have a feeling that at the very least he is one of the best young American talents that we have seen for a while. Not only that, he has clocked up a couple of championship wins, third place finishes in a few more in his host of season finishes in the top ten.

In 143 lower formula races, he has clocked up 53 podiums including 36 wins, 31 pole positions and 21 fastest laps.

Granted the most recent championship under his belt was the 2008 Formula BMW Americas but he drove in both GP3 and GP2 in 2010 ending up in 4th and 9th in the respective championships, which is okay I guess. However, out of the twelve open wheeler championships in which he has competed he has finished in the top 10 in ten of them and currently runs 10th in this years' GP2.

Rossi missed the season opener in Malaysia and so far this season has finished 3rd in the feature race and 20th in the sprint in Bahrain, 6th in both races in Spain,. He DNF'd in the Monaco crash-fest and came 19th in the sprint. Maybe after the events of the day before it's quite a good show that he was in the Monaco sprint race at all.

Taking all of the above into account, is Alexander Rossi going to make it in F1? Well having heard him in the Beeb commentary box during the P2 coverage I have to say that I was quite impressed. A bit like Karun Chandhok, he sounds older than his years and I was surprised to find out that he was just 21 since he came across as having been in the sport for more years than he has been alive!

Well, although his career stat's fall short of what I, personally, would like to see in an F1 prospect, I must confess that I think Ross could just be the Yank to break the Yankee duck. I have yet to pay any real attention to how he drives. Methinks that from now on, I'll be keeping more of a watching brief on his progress in GP2 and his forays in Friday F1 practice.

Maybe I was wrong. Still when someone drops out of GP2 mid season its not a long reach to question whether they are off elsewhere but F1.

Also I still think Rossi has been hit and miss in GP2 and I don't think you can put it all down to Caterham.

Well ya never know if Kimi gets the boot at Ferrari mid-season and they promote Bianchi it could be that Rossi is in line to grab a race seat.

They'd prob go for Timo Glock over him though.

It doesn't surprise me that he's already approached Haas.

It will be interesting to see if Haas does go for one of the current crop of Americans in Europe.

There are a few other chaps knocking around on F3 and what not but they don't get FOM footage. Formula E is bound to have a couple too.

Not to mention Michael Lewis who has tested a Ferrari.

Its a long time in racing until 2016. Rossi will need to keep on the radar.

Last edited:
None in Formula E as of right now, of the 3 that made the original "Drivers Club" list a while back two are IndyCar drivers that are historically not too great at road courses (Marco Andretti and J.R. Hildebrand) and the other is Conor Daly. It might be a stretch for some of the F3 boys to be ready for F1 by 2016, if they are ever ready at all.

Mike Conway?

Santino Ferrucci in F3 comes very highly rated but I agree it'll be a bit of a push as he's only 16 right now.

I've just gone off Rossi somewhat. He's shown a lot of promise but just never delivered. His results are really not great and being out paced by Rio Haryanto this year was kind of the trigger for me.

Now Conor Daly I think shows promise but his results don't reflect his speed in GP2 this year as he seems to be an accident magnet. Not that the Lazarus car he's driving is much better than my dads sit on lawn mower anyways.

Conway is British. Lewis was given a gift run in a Ferrari 3 years ago. And like me, I don't think Haas or any other suitor will be terribly concerned by Rossi's aborted 2014 GP2 campaign.

I'm not talking about his aborted 2014 GP2 career. I'm talking about his singke seater career in general. He tends to start off with a lot of promise in a series and then fade to midfield obscurity who is out paced by a team mate. His time in WSR was underwelming and his consistancy in GP2 2013 was just not there although he put in some great one off performances. I don't think anything has really indicated an F1 driver should be his.

I think ignoring previous performances in feeder series is pretty ludicrous if I'm honest. But then I guess if all you are looking for in a driver is nationality then who cares eh?

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.co...grand-prix-debut-in-belgium-replaces-chilton/

This thread can finally join the big boys in the F1 Forum. Alexander Rossi will get a much deserved drive in Belgium.

Rossi has done everything right along the way and just kept on plugging. He'll get a tough and worthy measuring stick with Bianchi so this is certainly a chance to impress.

I didn't think I could possibly be more excited for Spa, and now this! :cheers:

Well I'll eat my piece of humble pie in silence over in the corner.

Welcome to F1 Alexander Rossi. I can think of worse drivers to come in.

I can. Chilton is by no means great but he brings the car back in one piece and has been a lot closer to Bianchi this season than last. I think.

Still more excited by Rossi than Chilton though!

USA!
USA!
USA!
USA!

I
I BELIEVE
I BELIEVE THAT
I BELIEVE THAT
i BELIEVE THAT WE WILL BEAT CATERHAM

I wonder what will happen if he really does do the buisness. That's the trouble with these one off drives, it could unsettle the team.

If he's close to, or even beats Bianchi then will it lead to further drives? Given how close Marussia are to joining the big bucks brigade with consecutive top 10 WCC finishes and scoring points this year the last thing they need is to be flipping drivers every five minutes.

I agree that Chilton hasn't brought much (except cash) to the party and don't have a problem with dropping drivers in like this but if Rossi really does the job then Marussia are going to have to make a decision.

Last edited:
Well I imagine Bianchi will make a move up next year so Rossi will be in prime place to take the spot. Especially with him being signed to Marussia already.

Rossi tends to make a huge splash when he first joins a series so it would not surprise me if he looked the business to start with.

His pattern appears to be showing lots of promise to start with and nkt ever quite fufilling it. I hope he breaks that pattern.

I would suggest he does bring some cash to the Marussia party as well by the way. If not himself then in sponsors.

What cracks me up is Chilton said he doesn't mind being sat down because it is bringing extra money to the team!! Does he actually think he got his seat on merit???????

Alexander Rossi
GP2 wins: 1
GP2 podiums: 3
Highest championship finish: 9th

Max Chilton
GP2 wins: 2
GP2 podiums: 2
Highest Championship finish: 4th

Back
Top Bottom