2nd best F1 drivers ever

JW top of the heap for Ulster and MD 2nd. Eddie Irvine? Not fit to lace Martin Donnely's boots, although he did come out with some great quotes over the years.

Can I also add Stefan Johansson for Sweden and Jo Siffert for for Switzerland?

I really should get round to pulling out the relevent names and sticking them into a table in the first post.

FB, We are going to have to agree to disagree. Even though Martin Donnelly drove for Gods F1 team and survived one of F1's biggest crashes I think Irvine has the edge. Irvine has scored 4 wins in F1 plus managed to score points in the not so good Jordan and a podium with the seriously not so good Jaguar. A second place finish at Le Mans in 94 proves he could drive in other forms of motorsport and lets not forget no matter how cakey it would have been, he was almost a world champion.

Roberto Guerrero for Colombia! Nicholas Kiesa for Denmark! Olivier Beretta for Monaco! OK I'll stop picking the odd countries now...

I can't remember if we've done Belgium but Boutson is a good pick. 4 Wins in what was a pretty awful Williams proved he could cut the mustard and he was way quicker than the more experienced Patrese.

TBY, LOL

The ideal tool for this Job is the CTA database. I've just used it to compare Boutson and Ickx.

I always felt sorry for Jackie Ickx. He had what seemed like the dream ticket when he replaced Fittipaldi at Lotus in 1974. Lotus had just won its third constructors title and had won 2 drivers titles in the last 4 seasons. Ickx's record was as good if not better than Ronnie Petersons so it looked good. Then along came the Lotus Type 76 which was an absolute dog. It was supposed to be a lighter and faster version of the Type 72 but it was actually heavier and slower. It did feature the revolutionary semi automatic gearbox. The driver change gear by pressing a button on top of the gear stick and then it was a sequential shift up and down the cogs. As a result of this the car had a four peddle layout to enable the driver to left foot or right foot brake. It was advanced, it was technically brilliant and above all it didn't work. Poor left Lotus after 1 season and a handful of races in 1975 and was never the same again.

and another small country... the netherlands!

i say, jos 'the boss' verstappen 1st, jan lammers second. sorry christijan, but this fuel hose thiong blew it for you

Back
Top Bottom