26 car grids next year?

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
With the news that all the remaining current teams have signed up for 2010, are we going to see 26 car grids next year?

Along with the existing 10 teams, 5 other teams have submitted applications:
  • US F1
  • Campos Racing
  • Lola
  • Prodrive
  • Litespeed GP
There are only 13 places available in total however so which 2 teams are going to lose out?
My guess would be Campos and Litespeed.

Will any of the new teams now withdraw their applications as the budget cap has been dropped for 2010?

I wouldn't be surprised if more than two failed to make it, they all need to source funding and invest in facilities and they haven't got much time.

Campos would be entering in partnership with Dallara, according to this week's Autosport, and Adrian himself has got a few quid behind the project, so I think they are a reasonably credible one.

If I had to guess I'd say we won't see USF1, Lola or Litespeed in 2010, more likely 2011. Lola have the facilities but not the money, I don't think.

Even Prodrive have got a big job on their hands setting up and equipping an F1 standard production facility. I wouldn't underestimate Dave Richards, but they didn't even build their own Le Mans prototype...

submitting applications is not the same as having those applications accepted. rumour has it 3 teams already know they are accepted, but, like GM, i have sincere doubts. especially with the teams signing up today. remember, if any new team signs up, its under the 40 mil cap if i am not too lost amidst all the mayhem. so far, i only see prodrive making it. maybe US F1 but thats it in my view.

basically, i think the time is just too short. setting up a team is no minor task and doing it between now and the beginning of the new season is a challenge. to say the least.

If I were whoever deals with this, I assure you that Richards would be given short shrift. Is there still time for other entries like Wirth etc.?

Well there is plenty of economic fallout that will happen between now and the next season, quite possible that some of the teams will be hard pushed to justify even 40m for an F1 team if things go terribly wrong elsewhere.

I think it is too early to say who will be competing next season, but one thing is for sure is that rather than fighting over the last available places, we may well see less than 10 teams able to compete next season.

I for one, hope that Litespeed make the grid because I think it will be the closest I will come to seeing Lotus back in formula one for a long time. The team is run by two ex Lotus F1 guys and from a base in Norfolk. Bit of a silly name but at least it begins with an "L".

I wouldn't like to call who really will make the grid next year but I'd have to say that the stongest set up is going to be USF1. I've posted an article on here before about Dave Richards and would be suprised if Prodrive finally make it into F1. If they do, does anyone thing they will run under the Aston Martin banner??

Have the FIA published a list of all the teams who have submitted a preliminary entry for next year (had a nose round the FIA website and there was nothing) as there appears to be other teams rumoured to have their cap in the ring: Formtek, iSport, Epsilon Euskadi, RML and Surefund.

Not sure how serious any of these are.

Fat Bloke said:
Have the FIA published a list of all the teams who have submitted a preliminary entry for next year (had a nose round the FIA website and there was nothing) as there appears to be other teams rumoured to have their cap in the ring: Formtek, iSport, Epsilon Euskadi, RML and Surefund.

Not sure how serious any of these are.
Yes, I too had trouble finding out who had supposedly submitted an entry.

You would think the FIA would publish a list of all teams who have.

The FIA will publish the full list of accepted teams on 12th June. Unfortunately I don't think they will release the names of the teams which were unsuccessful (assuming that at least 13 entries were received, of course). So we're relying on journalists doing a bit of digging.

Superfund announced yesterday that they did submit an entry, I think?

Anyone know if the teams which apply but aren't accepted get their €309,000 (I think that was the number) registration fee back?

Back
Top Bottom