Grand Prix 2023 Austrian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Red Bull Victory Discussion

I know exactly what you’re thinking! You’re thinking there’s less than 24 hours to go until we get to watch the next race weekend of this thrilling Formula 1 season and there is yet to be a PQR thread posted. Well worry no further for here it is.

Hold on to your hats race fans, it’s going to be another one of those awesome Sprint race weekends where we get to see the worlds best drivers complain they can’t push on maximum attack because of tyre wear. There has been a slight rule tweak for the tyres in sprint qualifying this weekend to enable drivers who make it into the final sprint qualifying session to use another set of new or used softs. This was due to Lando running out of fresh sets in the sprint qually session in Baku and therefore not being able to take part.

The Red Bull Ring once again hosts the Austrian GP and will no doubt also be win number 9 of the season for the Red Bull Racing Team. It’s very strange though, ever since the Miami GP where Sergio Perez in the second car. set pole and finished second, his form has gone mysteriously off the boil. Its as if the driver who won the Baku sprint race and GP and at that point was only 4 points behind Max in the championship, can no longer find the same level of speed to challenge his renowned teammate. I wonder what’s changed?

Alonso at Aston and Hamilton for Merc are locked in a battle for the scraps on the podium table with both having beamed their smiling chops down on the crowds from on high. Alonso has been the more consistent so far but after the Canada upgrades Lewis seems a lot more comfortable in his car. Both of their teammates however, in Stroll and Russell are letting the side down.

What that means is that Ferrari, are getting away with being utterly awful but are still not too far off the Merc powered motors in front of them. Let’s be honest, Ferrari are in deep doo doo unless they can work out what’s going wrong with their car. It was only by looking at the championship table on Wiki did I see just how off their performance has been. A single podium and 2 fourth places compared to multiple top four finishes for RBR, Aston and Mercedes.

Interestingly, from the start of the 2022 season until the Hungarian GP, Red Bull had taken 8 wins to Ferrari’s 4. From the Belgian GP where the ground effect anti-porpoising rules were introduced, Red Bull have won 15 out of the next 16 races, with Merc taking the only other win.

Williams will be hoping that Albon’s performance in Canada was not a one off and that the upgraded car is now genuinely among the middle of the pack and will go on to be a regular points finisher. What it did show however, was that while the cars can run closer together, overtaking with or without DRS remains as impossible as ever. While the commentators may guff on about the “DRS Train”, with all due respect to Albon’s drive, he didn’t have DRS at the head of that pack and had the oldest tyres in that group. The fact that at various times, Ocon and Stroll couldn’t even get close to passing the Williams shows how big the problems of racing still are.

Anyway, for those who wish to put themselves through yet another lights to flag Red Bull victory, the broadcast times are as follows:

SessionDateTime
First Practice30 June12:30
Qualification30 June16:00
Sprint Shootout1 July11:00
Sprint1 July15:30
Race2 July14:00

It's been the problem with F1 rules for decades. What starts out as an absolute gets watered down through interpretation, on appeal and inconsistent application
& its doesnt help that teams push the limits then begin to play the victim when it goes wrong, i always remember kyvat furore when his suspension broke in 2016 how its putting the drivers at risk. but he shouldnt have been that far out hes a good meter or 2 over. so i think its harsh but rightly because the teams are never satisfied & will always moan

_90202019_jensonbuttonkerb_getty.jpg

get the gravel traps back for two reasons

i) Deters going that wide
ii) If they do usually they will lose time anyway

Red Bull Verstappen win is a formality unless the Ferrari's have more pace

I see Hamilton got knocked out in the sprint Q>:(

hamilton is just caught out on track limits he wouldve been 6th but that this weekend. big risk comes big reward but also big failures. Lando Norris you can only be hugely impressed 5th yesterday 3rd today & only less than tenth off perez.

yeah Verstappen was apparently upset that, he felt he was blocked. but that happens in such a short lap.
Alonso did a similar thing in the pits got a 5 place grid drop It was so pathetic given his car will get him pole . I am surprised Ferrari have not protested nor Alpine

this could be a fascinating sprint as its likely inters at the start & someone is going to Gamble on softs at some point. its whoever gambles pays off

its going to be win it or bin it for bottas

Last edited:
what a cracking sprint race & credit where credits due particularly Mercedes & Haas. after amateur hour in canada. they have learnt their lessons because they have trusted the driver which is the only thing you can do in those mixed conditions. because only the driver knows how dry the track

if rain is coming in then you have to trust the team, but you have to trust the drivers on a drying track. it is what jenson button build his reputation upon. if a driver thinks its dry enough you give him dry tyres

Perez claims he did not see Verstappen 😂

To me why is Verstappen trying to win on lap 1 given he has such a pace advantage..it would have been funny if they took each other out because Horner has been ducking these issues

Perez claims he did not see Verstappen 😂

To me why is Verstappen trying to win on lap 1 given he has such a pace advantage..it would have been funny if they took each other out because Horner has been ducking these issues
i dont believe a word either says. they were both trying to prove a point to each other it really is a bit like Webber & Vettel. the gloves really have come off. i think keep going it's fantastic entertainment to everyone but Christian Horner

Perez realised he's got nothing to lose as your probably getting dumped for 2024, might well go down fighting & verstappen as you soon as the helmet is on the red mist descends, common sense goes out the window as soon as he is under any pressure

Yes he did look at his hands on the steering wheel he was turning right lets go of the steering then suddenly does a little steer to the left which not only put Perez wide but screwed Lando behind

Last edited:
I thought we agreed not to post until after the C4 highlights for those that had no other access so as not to spoil it, if indeed there was anything to spoil, though that is subjective.

3.5 hours after the race, we’ve now been told that the results are all about to change, because various penalties were not awarded during the race…

Prizes for guessing who?..

Perez? Stroll?

Back
Top Bottom