Grand Prix 2022 Moanaco Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Week after the a rather entertaining Spanish GP which took us all by surprise & we go to the jewel in the crown of the F1 calendar & was 1 the most watched race of the year but that has declined in last few years according to reports. Monaco, as im in minority who enjoys the glitz the glamour, the yachts, the harbour of monte carlo circuit. i thought it was up to me to right up the thread. for me its an iconic challenge you ask anyone who doesnt watch F1. Monaco will come quite high in the list of circuits they'd name.

For me i love it, yeah races can processional as its difficult to pass & F1 may have outgrown. only Grand Prix that does not have to adhere to the FIA's mandated 305 km minimum race distance for F1 races. but qualifying on Saturday is still the biggest challenge an F1 driver can ever face. building up the confidence & every driver says their is no feeling like it when you hook up a lap around here. Senna called it an out of body experience. where he was watching himself from above. in 1988 when he did maybe the greatest pole lap in F1 history& to lose monaco would be same as to lose Monza, Silverstone or Spa.

There is always a story when you come to Monaco.
whether its the race nobody wanted to win in 1982,
senna in toleman v prost 1984,
senna crashing out with minute lead in 1988.
senna v mansell 1992
Panis in 1996

or in recent years
- Hamilton hitting the tabac barrier in 2008, that was inadvertently perfect strategic timing
- The red flag tyre controversy in 2010
Schumacher pole in 2012
- Rosberg controversial pole 2014. that started deterioration/end of friendship
- Mercedes misjudging Hamilton Lead & pitting during late SC threw away a certain win
- Red Bull pit stop disaster, throwing away Riccardio chances of victory who dominated all weekend
- Riccardo getting justice for 2016 in 2018 but having to hold off vettel with ailing engine
- who could forget last year, Leclerc already on pole, flying on his final lap but crashing into barrier at swimming pool. which would result in not being able to start his home race

But will Leclerc luck get better as this is his home race but he has never seen the chequered flag in any formula

It’s almost like the FIA wanted us to be left with a negative feeling after this race 🤨
To be honest, this is probably the least negative I've felt towards the Monaco Grand Prix for about 20 years... The race actually felt like a race for the first 20 odd laps.

Monaco should have been dropped in the 1980s, yet F1 keeps going back there because of "history".

It should be noted that Monza has more right to be the "historic" F1 grand prix - more Grand Prix have been held there, and since 1950, there has only been one year where there has not been a world championship Grand Prix at Monza (1980) - whilst Monaco has been absent 3 times.

I think that, if you wanted to make Monaco meaningful, you'd need to redesign the circuit...

Or make the cars smaller and lighter
I've often wondered what would stop F1 bringing in a rule whereby a set of (spec) cars are brought to Monaco (say Formula Ford), and then the grand prix is raced around there in these alternative cars.

We know that cars can race around the circuit (see, for instance, Formula E), but F1 has too much grip, too much technology, and too much power!

you can show as many screenshots as you like to show he was on, not over, that’s not what people are disputing. The bit people are miffed at is the application of the rule. Previously touching the line was considered a foul. Now the whole wheel has to be completely over the left hand side of the line.
well yeah the rules not being clear are confusing. but i wasnt aware of touching the line, because for me in every motorsport ive seen its dont go over the line

ive hearing from few places sky F1 & bbc both in there post race coverage are saying that the reason for race delays was there was a power cut or issue that affected race control & few commentary boxes. a few times in delayed start & restart that was 30 mins later than it shouldve been

which begs the question of why cant FIA/F1/stewards <delete as appropriate> just be transparent with everyone. because in my experience of just everyday life. if you let people know. they will in vast majority of cases be fine with it. am i too naive to think what was wrong with the people in charge. saying "sorry delayed start, we had a power outage & which meant the lights couldnt send them off for a formation lap & once we have fixed it we will have the 10 warning up"

i know 1 person who wouldve appreciated it & thats the admin in charge of F1 Twitter account. because they were the soundingboard for alot of frustration. & if they let people in & informed them. they wouldnt have the universal condemnation as jumped to conclusion of here we go again. not allowed to race in full wet conditions. & i was shocked at F1 journalists not holding back in fear of upsetting liberty media or FIA

the reason for race delays was there was a power cut or issue that affected race control & few commentary boxes.
Sounds like an excuse created after the event.

If it did effect some of the commentary boxes though, that should be easily proven as they would presumably have gone off air and this will be reported somewhere.

Sounds like an excuse created after the event.

If it did effect some of the commentary boxes though, that should be easily proven as they would presumably have gone off air and this will be reported somewhere.
just before the cars came out for the 2nd restart. the 2 sky commentators mentioned it & said that was an issue they'd had once before that afternoon

Many conspiracy theories are utter tosh, but I can't help feeling we are being sold a pup when you see videos like that one of Albon and Horner together. The FIA need to stop companies running, or having influence over, more than one team. They also need to consider the ethics of drivers who are involved in young driver programmes, or managed by other stakeholders in F1, being placed in other teams.

There are very obvious conflicts of interest, which calls in to question the whole ethos of the sport. The whole set up stinks to high heaven.

Many conspiracy theories are utter tosh, but I can't help feeling we are being sold a pup when you see videos like that one of Albon and Horner together. The FIA need to stop companies running, or having influence over, more than one team. They also need to consider the ethics of drivers who are involved in young driver programmes, or managed by other stakeholders in F1, being placed in other teams.

There are very obvious conflicts of interest, which calls in to question the whole ethos of the sport. The whole set up stinks to high heaven.
In the same way as the Force India was ordered to let Hamilton (and Bottas) past in 2018...

In the same way as the Force India was ordered to let Hamilton (and Bottas) past in 2018...

I don't recall the specific incident, but yes. The whole system needs to be scrutinised, engine suppliers making threats, managers pulling strings, sponsors influencing in inappropriate ways. The business of F1 stinks of corruption and sleaze at a level I don't think I have seen in it before.

for me it comes back to the budget cap & why f1 being at 20 cars is the most dangerous time for f1 in history. because teams have been priced out the market on ridiculous budgets. we end up with a sport that can crumble at click of a finger because lets say haas left in 2021 instead of mazepin taking themover & they stand up to red bull saying they are guilty & they leave overnight we have 14 cars on the grid

“A couple of reliable sources tell me that there were heated arguments in Race Control during the impasse as we all looked on unsure of what was happening.

“This presumably explains the periods of inaction and lack of information, and the reason why the Safety Car was not out exploring track conditions as usual.”

Back
Top Bottom