Grand Prix 2022 Moanaco Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Week after the a rather entertaining Spanish GP which took us all by surprise & we go to the jewel in the crown of the F1 calendar & was 1 the most watched race of the year but that has declined in last few years according to reports. Monaco, as im in minority who enjoys the glitz the glamour, the yachts, the harbour of monte carlo circuit. i thought it was up to me to right up the thread. for me its an iconic challenge you ask anyone who doesnt watch F1. Monaco will come quite high in the list of circuits they'd name.

For me i love it, yeah races can processional as its difficult to pass & F1 may have outgrown. only Grand Prix that does not have to adhere to the FIA's mandated 305 km minimum race distance for F1 races. but qualifying on Saturday is still the biggest challenge an F1 driver can ever face. building up the confidence & every driver says their is no feeling like it when you hook up a lap around here. Senna called it an out of body experience. where he was watching himself from above. in 1988 when he did maybe the greatest pole lap in F1 history& to lose monaco would be same as to lose Monza, Silverstone or Spa.

There is always a story when you come to Monaco.
whether its the race nobody wanted to win in 1982,
senna in toleman v prost 1984,
senna crashing out with minute lead in 1988.
senna v mansell 1992
Panis in 1996

or in recent years
- Hamilton hitting the tabac barrier in 2008, that was inadvertently perfect strategic timing
- The red flag tyre controversy in 2010
Schumacher pole in 2012
- Rosberg controversial pole 2014. that started deterioration/end of friendship
- Mercedes misjudging Hamilton Lead & pitting during late SC threw away a certain win
- Red Bull pit stop disaster, throwing away Riccardio chances of victory who dominated all weekend
- Riccardo getting justice for 2016 in 2018 but having to hold off vettel with ailing engine
- who could forget last year, Leclerc already on pole, flying on his final lap but crashing into barrier at swimming pool. which would result in not being able to start his home race

But will Leclerc luck get better as this is his home race but he has never seen the chequered flag in any formula

cider_and_toast - I think that this was a result of the change of ISC appendix L last year. Below are extracts from the appendix from 2019 and 2022

0AF3F08B-D006-4224-AF00-FF495D6E6774.jpeg

B7DA3A90-DE18-45C3-A7EF-851529A0027D.jpeg

The Artist..... I think it's pretty much To-may-to Tom-ah-to really.

Both rules talk about crossing the line be it tyre or any part. Someone in the past thought that meant on the line as crossing and someone else today thought it meant wholly crossing.

Either way, the FIA seem to want to do literally anything to avoid changing the results at the front end of the grid after an infraction.

ive got to say. i think from camera angles i saw that its inconclusive. from 1 angle it looks over & the other it looks it on the line

Irrelevant. We’re back to the all/any bollocks again. It’s a ****ing farce.
we cant punish verstappen or any driver because we dont like him. this doesnt look conclusive or enough. as these 2 look on the line. but the video looked dodgy

20220529_230622.jpg
20220529_230658.jpg

I don't know about the first picture but if the second one isn't over the line then I don't know what is?

To be fairs it’s not like touching or crossing the line there made much difference but it’s the simple matter of principles.

You can’t have “rules“ that you clarify one way only to later enforce in a completely different way. It’s “lapped cars to pass” all over again Clarified as all then enforced as some.

The FIA are just a bunch of amateurs making it up as they go along and the stewards are spineless.

F1 is becoming a joke.

Johnny Carwash that is pretty bad from albon & what you would say is 1 of the loveliest guys on the grid, what was he was playing at, he had 5 opportunities to let him overtake Mirabeau, Lowes Hairpin, Tunnel, Rascasse & Sainte devote & at Tabac he managed to go slower through there than alonso which is some achievement, a more cynical person could talk about his links to Red Bull

I have seen worse Monaco Grands Prix. That does not mean it was a good race.

yeah im not saying its greatest thing on calendar but i would rather go to monaco than go to Miami, Barcelona, Abu Dhabi, Zandvoort,

I noticed Checo was upset on the podium. Is that because they didn't play the right national anthem?

no i think he was just emotional, national anthem have that weird effect on people. i don't know if it relaxing or feeling of what he's just achieved. but in almost every sport ive seen winning sportsman breakdown when that national anthem comes on

Whenever I see Albon or Gasley on the same part of the track as a Red Bull or their closest rivals I have no doubt they will behave differently and be a Red Bull team player. Not so sure about Tsunoda, he should be included but seems to be his own expletive infused world.

To be fairs it’s not like touching or crossing the line there made much difference but it’s the simple matter of principles.

You can’t have “rules“ that you clarify one way only to later enforce in a completely different way. It’s “lapped cars to pass” all over again Clarified as all then enforced as some.

The FIA are just a bunch of amateurs making it up as they go along and the stewards are spineless.

F1 is becoming a joke.
I’ve read the amendment several times now and it does basically say all of at least one tyre has to have crossed the line. I assumed crossing meant any part of the line not the entire width of the line given the event rules stated “to the right of”.

F1Brits_90 you can show as many screenshots as you like to show he was on, not over, that’s not what people are disputing. The bit people are miffed at is the application of the rule. Previously touching the line was considered a foul. Now the whole wheel has to be completely over the left hand side of the line.

Last edited:
I’ve read the amendment several times now and it does basically say all of at least one tyre has to have crossed the line. I assumed crossing meant any part of the line not the entire width of the line given the event rules stated “to the right of”.

F1Brits_90 you can show as many screenshots as you like to show he was on, not over, that’s not what people are disputing. The bit people are miffed at is the application of the rule. Previously touching the line was considered a foul. Now the whole wheel has to be completely over the left hand side of the line.

Personally, I think that the lack of penalty was probably correct, given the overall stewarding of the weekend:
  • Saturday - Leclerc misses weighbridge (normally, a slam-dunk penalty). Pushed back to the weigh-bridge by the team.
  • Saturday - Perez causes a red-flag - (no penalties normally, but there really should be!)
  • Saturday - Sainz hits Perez after failing to slow sufficiently
  • Sunday - Verstappen goes onto yellow pit exit line with tyre
  • Sunday - Perez goes onto yellow pit exit line with tyre.
The fact that the Ferraris were not penalised for what would normally lead to grid penalties effectively evens out the weekend.

The Artist..... you forgot Albon not yielding after three blue flags (still can’t write that without horrible flashbacks of that little 606 twerp).

It’s almost like the FIA wanted us to be left with a negative feeling after this race 🤨

Back
Top Bottom