Grand Prix 2022 Miami (USA SouthEast?) Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Back in the day we used to have two races in the US, the USA Grand Prix West, at Long Beach, and the US Grand Prix East, at Watkins Glen. Now we have a second GP in America, and with the Austin race being South, I have christened this the USA South East Grand Prix. You may choose to follow suit, or just call it the Miami Grand Prix.

This is the first race held in Miami, but just three hours away (still in Florida) is the location of the first American Grand Prix, Sebring. There was a race held there in 1959, which was won by Bruce McLaren in a Cooper-Climax. The track is still in operation, but presumably the location is not as attractive as Miami.

The circuit is 3.363 miles long and the race will last for 57 laps, so a little short of 200 mile "standard". Here's the layout, courtesy of the lovely people at SKY.

1651610465439.png

Here's an animated lap of the circuit.

And for those in the UK here are the race times.

1651610835251.png

My apologies if this is all a bit "factual", I'm struggling to build a great deal of enthusiasm. Let's hope the race proves me wrong and it's an absolute stonker.

Last edited:
Sergio obviously not read the script regarding the Miami love in. After FP2 he's described the track as dissapointing and there being almost no grip off line which will lead to dissapointing racing.

I note several other drivers are also beginning to doubt the quality of the circuit.

Ooops.

Not a good look.

Is that Seb or a tramp who picked up am old Aston Martin race suit from a skip behind the garage?

Sergio obviously not read the script regarding the Miami love in. After FP2 he's described the track as dissapointing and there being almost no grip off line which will lead to dissapointing racing.

I note several other drivers are also beginning to doubt the quality of the circuit.

Ooops.

Not a good look.
Hamilton has called the Mickey Mouse chicane like "driving a go-kart around the B&Q car park"... Somehow, I don't think that's meant as a compliment!

This was always going to be a terrible track, but they've succeeded in making a track that is both terrible and dangerous at the same time.

Predictions for the race (or qualifying):

Someone (Latifi?) is going to end up in the wall after the chicane. If this happens in the race, they will have to stop the race, as they won't be able to get past the crashed Williams. I've no idea how the cars will get back to the pits, but it will be chaos.

What are people expecting ? This is not Spa and lets hope its not Valencia

It looks flat but some of the corners are catching people out and some look silly looking at the highlights

The saving grace appears to be the long straight which means there will be overtaking at least

Any bet Verstappen might do a late weave on the straight and send someone into the wall?

I hope the speed of the Mercedes is true because I am fed up of the all the bashing they've been getting from Red Bull verbally

I was thinking the same thing. I haven't seen much of the track so watched the W series race this evening.

The F1 will see more flags than a national parade.

I wonder which team will benefit from the inevitable crash at a critical point in the race by Latifi?

confusing from russell, he shouldve been in Q3 regardless of the issues if the car hadnt stepped out on him on his 1st lap as it meant he went again & had to then run out of sync. he would more than made up the half a tenth he lost out by. shown by russell FP2 time being good enough for 8th in Q2

carlos Sainz will be kicking himself was on course for pole but lost 3 & half tenths in final 2 sectors

Last edited:
There's so little grip off line, one tiny mistake and your lap time goes out of the window or you're in a wall.

I like that idea drivers get punished for little mistakes that us how F1 should be
In the case of this track no it's not.

Could you imagine a running race where the minute you tried to pass another runner you slipped and fell over because other than following each other around the track in a narrow line the rest of the surface was like ice? That's not how any race should be.

Yes a driver should be punished for making a mistake. There are walls around the track for that in this case. The dice shouldn't be loaded though. A driver should be confident in the track surface to be able to change his line.

One thing to note Verstappen even though he did a quick lap has had less running on the track so he might be the one to make a mistake if he is bogged down behind the dirty air

I hope the DRS is not too powerful down the back straight

I predict it'll be a pretty terrible race, a train until the 1st safety (unless on lap one) and then a few pokey DRS passes for those bold or reckless enough, and a few lucky pitstops under the 2nd yellow. and possibly 1 red flag (Unless the Yanks throw safety out the window for "the show".)

P.s it's on after my bed time. :whistle:

On the Lewis, jewellery thing, apparently he has piercings somewhere unmentionable and they are difficult to remove.

Back
Top Bottom