Grand Prix 2022 Canadian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

The reason is under the regulations that cars must qualify and set a time,
And under my idea, they still would but the penalty would always apply.

As I said, Leclerc would still have to go out and set a time in Q1 but the penalty of grid place drops would apply immediately and if it meant, when applied at the end of Q1 he was out of qually then that's that

At the moment it is not fair on drivers who are bumped who would not have been had the penalty been applied from the start.

cider_and_toast it should yes & we should have a thing where like you say grid drop counts in qualifying. so to make it through Q1 you have to finish in the top 5 (with 10 place) or top 10 (with 5 places) & also they need to have common sense. some drivers dont need to run in qualifying to satisfy the 107% rule. as stewards should think. he's 3rd in the championship & before today has taken the last 4 poles & 6 of the last 8. i think he's going to be quick enough

if it is able to it should always run in qualifying irrespective of power unit penalties or driver penalties.
on 107% i believe regardless of driver if you dont set a time. you have prove your quick enough to enter. which is ridiculous when its charles leclerc

but on 2nd part. for the show almost certainly. they should run because we only have 20 cars & that's just scraping the bare minimum as is. but i completely get why the teams wouldnt. why risk a crash in those conditions yesterday or in majority of other weekends. why put mileage on the car when regardless what you do, you will be last

F1Brits_90 , you've really answered your own statement, why should any team or driver avoid the risk of a crash or mechanical failure just because the driver is a lead driver, you are allowing an exemption on a driver or team because they are successful, sorry get in the queue with everyone else.

Dartman it just common sense. that "queue" is to say is he quick enough to take part in the race & is an outdated rule. its waste of everyones time as he not driving a HRT. he's driving a Ferrari & was 3rd in the championship & before today has taken the last 4 poles. of course he quick enough

Oh Lord, I feel so wrong for saying this but Verstappen didn't put a foot wrong this weekend. He made that look pretty easy.

Good to see Mercedes coming in to the mix but I still can't help but think it's more because they are consistently finishing while other, faster cars, are throwing their weekends away.

Oh Lord, I feel so wrong for saying this but Verstappen didn't put a foot wrong this weekend. He made that look pretty easy.

Good to see Mercedes coming in to the mix but I still can't help but think it's more because they are consistently finishing while other, faster cars, are throwing their weekends away.
He is Making it Look easy as He has no Competition.

Ferrari are turning into a joke messing up strategy and having no reliability,

Mercedes have to run at 90% to stop breaking the drivers and even if Perez gets a look in he is told to move over.

Still it’s not his fault and he is genuinely one of the very best drivers out there in a purple patch.

Shame Ferrari could not have kept some pressure on him as he was definitely rattled at the start of the season.

The only way it will get interesting now is if Ferrari hit a winning streak and Mercedes can get one or two drivers into real contention…..neither is likely.

I am thinking the new regs don't work because at the critical moment Sainz is still sliding and losing downforce

Alonso and Alpine fell off a cliff with their bizarre strategy

Verstappen had it easy Vettel style lead from turn 1 Perez 's championship hopes appears to be sabotaged

Mercedes were there but just don't look quick enough over a race to challenge still

Leclerc if only what might have been

Hamilton-it was good some luck finally went his way but his race pace was quicker than Russell's

Sky tried to give the laps after the safety car the big build up but we all knew what the result was going to be. Max was the class of the field in the Red Bull and I doubt le Clerc would have caught him.

It was all very predictable, unfortunately.

Sky tried to give the laps after the safety car the big build up but we all knew what the result was going to be. Max was the class of the field in the Red Bull and I doubt le Clerc would have caught him.

It was all very predictable, unfortunately.
Really his only challenger is Leclerc but the gap is big and needs another big swing and Sain and Mercedes help to claw it back

I think the niggling reliability concerns about the engine is the only thing that could stop him

you always have to recognise quality when it happens & say well done to Verstappen because that was impressive drive under pressure for any drive to have 15 laps where he had to be perfect. otherwise he wouldve lost like Vettel in 2011 & 2019. even in 2nd sainz can take heart as he badly needed a race like that, just a shame he couldnt get close must be gutting to be so close but not close enough but it wasnt for the want of trying & that title lead of verstappen look rather ominous already

it was nice to see Lewis back on the podium 1st one since bahrain. which is was unthinkable 12 months ago, just confidence he needs going into British gp but they've been in false dawns before in spain. is George Russell the driver of the year so far top 5 every race in that shouldnt be top 5

& what was happening at alpine yesterday as alonso strategy what was like they read a book how not to read a race. started on the front row he shouldve been on the podium or least fought for it, how can you be in F1 & be that stubborn on strategy. that race was already a 2 stop when i heard that it was touch & go between 1 & 2 stops. which always means 2 stops because you'll lose a pitstop trying to stretch it & likely get overtaken through poor traction. & that Virtual Safety Car espically the 2nd on lap 20ish was a god send if there ever was 1. went from racing verstappen, then Hamilton, then leclerc to fending off bottas ending up 9th

While on the subject of Zhou, I thought he had a pretty good race yesterday.
Zhou has been very good recently just should be expected after all he grew up in Sheffield & we're doing alright at the moment Kell Brook, Joe Root & Matt Fitzpatrick, Zhou seemed to have found something either before baku or in baku , & gained alot of confidence. which can happen leclerc (not that he's in that league) did take 6 races to find his feet. which is more what i was expecting from after watching in F2 over the last few years

I'm not sure I ever believe the "only enough spares for one driver" line in this day and age.

Yes, 30 years ago when there were only about 50 people in a team but nowadays with hundreds of staff and huge facilities, they can knock out wings by the dozen.

I think its far more likely that they don't want to fully risk both cars using new parts when, due to the lack of testing, there's no guarantee it won't be an absolute lemon.

I think the part about only risking it on Leclerc's car makes more sense. Also by running the older wing on Sainz's car over a full weekend they now have a strong set of comparative data.

Back
Top Bottom