Grand Prix 2021 Styrian and Austrian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

so here we are back at the Styrian GP, obviously so popular in covid 2020 season they brought it back for 2021. lets hope that the sequel is as fun as the original. after very memorable qualifying in heavy rain that made even the most dedicated F1 fan have the reputation heightened because how they kept it on the track when in the spray. they could barely see where there going. was outstanding

now i know what your thinking isnt this double header, just 2 races at the same track & wont we just 2 identical races. but you'd be wrong. because this week the Stryian GP at Former A1 Ring is taking place & next week its the Austrian GP at new Red Bull Ring.

but this is season is shaping up to be a brilliant one. as we have 2 teams equal. i mentioned post France we might have to go back to 2008 & maybe 2010. the last time i enjoyed a season as much as this. because 2018 was good but i never had faith Ferrari could sustain it over a season this Hamilton v Verstappen battle is fantastic to watch. the mind games, momentum swinging from race to race. pressure is only going to increase as the season increases. & it reminds me Hakkinen & Schumacher going blow for blow weekend after weekend. or Alonso v Schumacher. its a shame that lewis is few years younger as i love this rivalry to go on few more years

this title seems massive for both drivers. because it feels like its worth more than 1 title & might be career defining for both drivers. because Hamilton has 7 titles before & verstappen could win 4+ after hamilton retires. but if you win like beating Federer/Serena at Wimbledon, Phil Taylor at darts, Tiger Woods at the masters, Usain Bolt at Olympics. it always means more. because whoever loses will always have a but at the end of their achievements. you may have won ??? titles but he lost to Hamilton/Verstappen in only year when they were challenged

lets hope this weekend lives up to the rest of the season & if the early forecast takes place then we could be in for a very interesting weekend
temp 1.png

Last edited:
I'd like to agree with you, but a term like Merc using the last year of unlimited development to put everything into the car design for the first season where development is restricted means that if they get it right, they'll be miles ahead of the competition - and with a cost cap the competition won't ever be able to catch up, until the rules change again, maybe.

this is going to be unpopular but then when has that ever stopped me LOL

are we allowed to praise Alonso yet. as last 3 races have been very good 6th 8th & 9th. compared with Ocon DNF, 14th & 14th. he supposed to be the old hand & yet he's settled in now. is comfortably beating the once highly rated ocon. who im surprised got a 3 yr contract as he's performed havent wowed the last 18 months

I am not surprised Ocon got a 3 year contract- the speed is there but he is also hired for marketing reasons

For some reason Ocon has poor race pace which was his strength

Alondo might nab a podium come end of the season...his target is to the team to be on par with Mclaren ,Ferrari , Alpha Tauri and Aston Martin. He will be most satisfied if he beats Vettel

Last edited:
Are we going to use this thread for the inevitable, piss poor Austrian GP this Sunday? Given, barring some astonishing turn of event, we probably know the two, and third is one of two others, I'm not sure its worth the effort to start a whole new thread.

Back to the "Styrian" race, how many others were screaming at the TV as Lando didn't even try hold his position against Perez or Bottas. What was the point of him fighting past them on the first couple of laps?

Back to the "Styrian" race, how many others were screaming at the TV as Lando didn't even try hold his position against Perez or Bottas. What was the point of him fighting past them on the first couple of laps?
i dont mind keep it for the doubleheader

i know but they worrying about finishing 5th & best of the rest, which may have been prudent but boring because didnt they finish a lap down

Last edited:
Can I assume there is not a lot of love for Round 2 in Austria after the "excitement" of Round 1? Who knows, it might be a stonker!

Black Boy Reaction GIF

thats is a good idea. actually they couldve done with having a 2nd race more likely at paul ricard, where they could do a dry tyre test in FP1 & then soaking the track & having a wet tyre test in FP2. because at the moment friday is pointless because after 3 hours of practise & 71 laps. the last thing they need is another 2 hours on friday

Last edited:
I had been thinking about this in the days after the stupour in Styria, and though that when there are double headers, there should be compulsory runs for "young drivers" - it would be a great opportunity for teams to give young drivers extra testing time in the car - and to showcase their talents. (Of course, you'd also need to specify a minimum running time for the sessions)

1 thing thats is amazing when you take a step back, this is the same weekend 12 months it was 1st race back after 4 months delay. & we are going to be going from this to this

austria 2020.jpg

austrian 2021.jpg

very poor again from ocon if he hadnt signed a new contract few weeks ago. i wouldve said he was a cert to be replaced by gasly for 2022

Frankly, after Vettel's actions in qualifying today, I think that he should be required to start from the pitlane... There was no way he was making the line before the chequered flag, yet he still blocked Alonso on his fast lap in the final corner... Alonso lost a place in Q3 because Vettel was hanging around on the final corner.

trying to decide who has the better qualifying Norris or Russell is impossible. norris on front row or Russell in 8th* when Lewis Hamilton ever retires. Britain are in the healthiest position ive ever known. with 2 future world champions. coming through

(* when vettel gets the inevitable penalty)

F1Brits_90 - Frankly, (I realise that this is not in the rules) - I'd throw him out of qualifying for that - it was the most egregious case of blocking I've ever seen.

When you think that Alonso had his fastest 3 times deleted at Monza 15 years ago for being 2 seconds down the road from Massa, a 3 place penalty really takes the biscuit

Back
Top Bottom