Grand Prix 2021 Styrian and Austrian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

so here we are back at the Styrian GP, obviously so popular in covid 2020 season they brought it back for 2021. lets hope that the sequel is as fun as the original. after very memorable qualifying in heavy rain that made even the most dedicated F1 fan have the reputation heightened because how they kept it on the track when in the spray. they could barely see where there going. was outstanding

now i know what your thinking isnt this double header, just 2 races at the same track & wont we just 2 identical races. but you'd be wrong. because this week the Stryian GP at Former A1 Ring is taking place & next week its the Austrian GP at new Red Bull Ring.

but this is season is shaping up to be a brilliant one. as we have 2 teams equal. i mentioned post France we might have to go back to 2008 & maybe 2010. the last time i enjoyed a season as much as this. because 2018 was good but i never had faith Ferrari could sustain it over a season this Hamilton v Verstappen battle is fantastic to watch. the mind games, momentum swinging from race to race. pressure is only going to increase as the season increases. & it reminds me Hakkinen & Schumacher going blow for blow weekend after weekend. or Alonso v Schumacher. its a shame that lewis is few years younger as i love this rivalry to go on few more years

this title seems massive for both drivers. because it feels like its worth more than 1 title & might be career defining for both drivers. because Hamilton has 7 titles before & verstappen could win 4+ after hamilton retires. but if you win like beating Federer/Serena at Wimbledon, Phil Taylor at darts, Tiger Woods at the masters, Usain Bolt at Olympics. it always means more. because whoever loses will always have a but at the end of their achievements. you may have won ??? titles but he lost to Hamilton/Verstappen in only year when they were challenged

lets hope this weekend lives up to the rest of the season & if the early forecast takes place then we could be in for a very interesting weekend
temp 1.png

Last edited:
Interestingly, since the increased testing and scrutiny around flexible wings came in to force after Baku, Red Bull have secured back to back pole positions and won both races relatively comfortably.

Obviously it wasn't all about the wing.

In this race Lewis made all he could...
that Verstappen didn't get his first GrandSlam :)

Last edited:
If in the French GP could be chance Hamilton's win that in the Austria was without chance.
And it is alarm signal for Mercedes

This was a crushing win which shows Mercedes have lost performance..the focus on 2022 is clearly impacting their efforts

They need more power and downforce

Last edited:

If this is true then Hamilton is going to have to rely on his own abilities more than ever to get that 8th world title

Surely with 1 eye on the future one of their current drivers will be leaving

It will be interesting how Toto man manages Hamilton's frustrations and whether he backs down or can get him to cede

very slow race, worst race of the season. it was more intriguing than entertaining only action in the midfield. in a season review this will get fleeting mention, but you cant have a great race every time 6 brilliant race out of 8 is better than any time in previous decade bar 2012, with 7 different winners in 1st 7 races. but it gives you an appreciation of how incredible Verstappen & Hamilton are. they are in different league to everyone else even if was abit meh

really im gutted for Russell, that the thing i take mostly he was fantastic all weekend so close to Q3. got up in 8th challenging alonso for 7th. reliability cost him certain pts & 46th time lucky

interesting this is Hamilton biggest win drought since he didnt win for 6 races in 2017/18. after not winning last 3 in 2017, after clinching the world title & didnt win the 1st 3 in 2018. because win drought during a single season since 2016 when he 5 races without a win between Belgian & Japanese GP. (but only because of engine failure in sepang)

Has Hamilton slowed? he just doesn't seem to have it since his Covid infection, I don't think Mercedes has lowed that much and Bottas tends to be quicker in comparison to Hamilton's usual gap on circuits where he excelled.

Has Hamilton slowed? he just doesn't seem to have it since his Covid infection, I don't think Mercedes has lowed that much and Bottas tends to be quicker in comparison to Hamilton's usual gap on circuits where he excelled.
I think both drivers are slower or lost performance and if anything Bottas its worse

I also think Red Bull probably has been the faster car but for the brilliance of Hamilton ,Mercedes are still in the championship

Interestingly, since the increased testing and scrutiny around flexible wings came in to force after Baku, Red Bull have secured back to back pole positions and won both races relatively comfortably.

Obviously it wasn't all about the wing.
i thought they had shot themselves in the foot at the time. because it will be interesting to see if the mercedes flexi front wing is still there

Bottas has always been a better qualifier than race pace. as he normally stuggles to overtake or goes backwards

this is the 1st time i can remember mercedes just have no answer to another team for this long, its happened as 1 off or because of external factors car overheating. but they always come back, like in 2018 ferrari looked great in beligium, front row lockout at monza, mercedes went on to win the italian GP 1-2 & hamilton pulled out of 1 great laps in history in singapore qualifying, toto will be lying surely upgrades will come for British GP. theres no way Lewis will be happy to as uncompetitive as that in front of a capacity Silverstone in 3 weeks

but history says this is was overdue, because last season was already an unprecented level of dominance as mclaren prost/senna was 4 years, Vettel & RB was 5, Schumacher & ferrari was 6. Mercedes got to 7

Or Merc have ceded this year in favour of being so far ahead on the new regs that they can pick up another 4 on the spin.

Or Merc have ceded this year in favour of being so far ahead on the new regs that they can pick up another 4 on the spin.
apparently according to Toto they have so I wonder how much Hamilton is willing to accept this that he might have to work a bit harder for that 8th title not that he does not but its already putting immense pressure on Bottas and the team being

They said they will continue to fight but Toto is smart enough to know that Mercedes will face stiffer competition from other teams who are already putting their efforts for 2022 onwards especially with cost caps

Surely they are have to put Russell in one of the cars as part of the plan

that is my nightmare we've waited 10yrs for competition get 1 yr & goes to pieces we have to wait another 4 years

but i think this rules should stop dominance

Back
Top Bottom