2021 Silly Season

sometimes visit the F1 fan voice site. just for curiosity to see what people opinions are on the sport. & it can harm if by chance the big bosses are looking. i came across this i think it had 3,500 - 4,500 votes on where people think vettel heading next

20200619_141847.png

Vettel can only consider Mercedes as a competitive drive but it appears the team is undergoing personnel changes within which could disrupt it but if he has a truly awful season coming up then surely why would you want to hire him at $40m a year ?

I can't see Hamilton letting them hire Vettel and thereby run the risk of being beaten by a third teammate, and I can't imagine Vettel agreeing to Number 2 status (nor should he), so I think Seb is looking at a year (or more) away from F1.

It's about time he ****ed off, drivers like him are killing the attractiveness of a sport that's already doing enough to kill itself.
5 year retirement policy should be introduced, it's not as if they'd leave as paupers.

gethinceri Do you mean Vettel or Hamilton ? If anyone should have retired long ago it was Kimi

siffert_fan I don't see Vettel wanting to be in the same team as Hamilton having been beaten enough times in the last 5 years and is he credibility is already on a downward path. I also think Vettel wants to be paid near the same wage as Hamilton for starters

IMO, even a downward-trending Vettel is better than the two teammates that beat Hamilton. Plus, I would be willing to bet that being on what is unarguably the most dominant TEAM in the history of the sport would rekindle his interest and quite possibly justify any salary he might get.

Better than Rosberg yes but I think Button is probably marginally better than Button based on his record. Both drivers were at their best to beat Hamilton. I would say Button's was more down to driver performance. If you put both Hamilton and Vettel in the same cars I do think Hamilton will more often be the fastest driver. The last 3 years Hamilton has psychologically put doubt into Vettel's mind whi is the best driver in F1. In some ways their rivalry mirrors that of Rossi vs Biaggi where Rossi has come out on top in every situation. Of course Vettel may want the Merc drive but drivers who are burned by their Ferrari experience fail to recover to their former glory. The only one I can think of is Mansell but even he needed to convince doubters about his seat at William's. If Vettel wants the drive that bad than perhaps preparing to offer and accept a pay cut is an indication of his desire still. That is what Button did to accept a drive at McLaren... for a start Vettel is rich enough already so money should not be a factor

I think your perspective is a little skewd Il_leone. Ferrari usually take drivers at their peak, so when they leave it is often a downward slope. That said, Niki Lauda didn't do too badly after leaving Ferrari. Alain Prost came back to win his fourth title after a bad time at the Scuderia. Gerhard Berger left, went back and left again, continuing the same level of mediocrity before, during and after. Kimi Raikkonenm managed to win races with another team after his time at Ferrari, then went back again, and Mario Andretti won a world title with Lotus after driving for them.

That's as far back as I can be bothered to go.

Lauda was forced out because they never forgave him for his chicken act in Fuji. He won the title in 77 and walked away seeing there were conspiring against him with everything treating him as No 2. Most disgusting of all was Ferrari decided to turn on his race engineer for not sticking to the plan. Lauda for his bruising experience gave up 3 years later fed up with driving around in circles. For Prost it's easy to come back and win when you have the fastest car by at least 1.5 seconds a lap and your teammate was contracted no 2 . As Senna said Prost practically bought the title and even then he was not as convincing . Berger when he started he was deemed a future world champion but he felt he was screwed in 1989 with a record retirements for him. When he came back to Ferrari he was not the same driver and had a lot of mediocre races because he was not up for it

cider_and_toast Yes that is true but Prost in 93 he made sure neither Mansell or Senna would be his teammate. Even Brundle appeared to vetoed as teammate. Going back to best drivers in best car I would say the manner in which they won would add more credibility.

cider_and_toast Yes that is true but Prost in 93 he made sure neither Mansell or Senna would be his teammate. Even Brundle appeared to vetoed as teammate. Going back to best drivers in best car I would say the manner in which they won would add more credibility.

And Senna vetoed Warwick at Lotus in 86, Mansell walked away from Williams instead of partnering Prost again, Schumacher invoked contractual clauses to be given wins, Fangio would turf his team mates out of a car mid race and take over the seat if he broke down.

There's nothing new about any of that.

And Senna vetoed Warwick at Lotus in 86, Mansell walked away from Williams instead of partnering Prost again, Schumacher invoked contractual clauses to be given wins, Fangio would turf his team mates out of a car mid race and take over the seat if he broke down.

There's nothing new about any of that.

might be wrong but is lewis the only driver who doesnt have this stigma because from what ive read & seen. he's happy to be teammates with anyone because (arrogantly but in a way all sportsman must be) he believes he will beat them

because in my time hakkinen had the issues with coulthard, schumacher with the team orders. alonso with blackmail & Vettel keep kimi for the good of the team (ie because he makes me look good)

Il_leone said:
the fastest car by at least 1.5 seconds a lap and your teammate was contracted no 2 .

To me,that sounds like Mercedes since the start of the current formula.

cider_and_toast Despite Prost winning it was clear without the immense superiority of the William's he would have been made to look even more amateurish there were times that Senna taught him a driving lesson. I dont call it a great comeback

Last edited:
Il_leone said:
the fastest car by at least 1.5 seconds a lap and your teammate was contracted no 2 .

To me,that sounds like Mercedes since the start of the current formula.

just because Lewis is 1 of greatest drivers in F1, & he is up against Bottas no offence but isnt in the elite category. so of course he going to beat him comfortably. but i think very few drivers of the last 15 yrs actively wants team orders because they think they are better so will just beat them on the track. just look at hamilton v alonso in 2007 & leclerc v Vettel both started as "no2's" as the best example

Back
Top Bottom