Grand Prix 2021 Dutch Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

There hasn't been a Dutch Grand Prix since 1985. This was back in the last days of the turbo monsters with Nelson Piquet on pole in the Brabham BMW, the race won by Niki Lauda in the McLaren TAG with Alain Prost second. I doubt we will see a McLaren 1-2 this weekend, but then there have been some strange things happen this season so who knows.

The new Zandvoort is very different to the old circuit. The only corner any of us who watched races in the past will recognise is the hairpin know as "Tarzan". This has created some great incidents in the past, with Prost and Piquet clashing in 1983 and Derek Daly flying through the air in 1981. It is a genuine overtaking opportunity, which many F1 tracks lack these days, although some might argue attempts at overtaking are frowned upon these days as Red Bull will lodge a complaint.

You couldn't wish for a more different location to the race in Belgium. Spa is high up (in Belgian terms anyway) in the forest, surrounded by trees and hills. Zandvoort is right by the beach, in some places is below sea level and if you stand on the banks around the track you can see the sea. Expect it to still be hammering down with rain though. Perhaps drainage in the sand will be better than it was in the hills but a note of caution, there is the new banked section of track and for some very serious reasons racing cars don't typically compete on banking in the rain.

Courtesy of our friends at Wikipedia, here's a track map.

1630499114423.png

I assume Arie Luyenduk curve has a mullet!

The race is 72 laps long and Ferrari have won it most often, with 9 wins in the 34 times it has taken place.

Enjoy!

🤭🤭Hamilton’s car broke down in second practice !
A Mercedes broke down !
It’s the end of the world as we know it.

Hamilton’s car broke down in second practice !
A Mercedes broke down !
It’s the end of the world as we know it
i found it hilarious when the Dutch the cheered the breakdown LOL but sport is some time pantomime. (unsure if they have pantomimes over there)

They might not be cheering, if Verstappen gets penalised for overtaking under a Red flag.
i noticed that. but could he get away with it by say he backed off as soon as he saw the light board. thought the car he overtook in straight towards turn 11 was on a in lap
-‐------------‐------------‐------------‐------------‐-----------
also on a different thought. hamilton & verstappen look like will have to take another power unit to make the rest of the season. so could we see them take it next week. because for me it makes the most sense. because at every other track you will start 20th in the race. but with the sprint you have got 17? laps to do damage limitation & maybe get up to 8th -10th on the grid for the Sunday

Robert Kubica is going to be racing this weekend, after Raikkonen tested positive for COVID-19. Presumably, this also means he will be racing at Monza as well…
what does that mean for his side of the garage because do they also self isolate. because i cant remember if we had a driver test positive during a weekend

Sainz could be out of qualifying there got 2hr 35 to get the car back fixed & out for Q1. seems unlikely
I think it all depends on how much of a whack the rear of the car got - and whether they need to replace anything back there...

The damage to Sainz's Ferrari looked similar to Perez's Red Bull in Spa, and that was fixed in about 90 minutes...

Back
Top Bottom